[Retracted] WASD Movement

"
dopefish wrote:
I hope you're kidding. WASD controls would not work for this type of game. They've always been dreadfully implemented and they always feel stiff and boring. Mouse controls are far superior.

Exactly. I can't imagine a hack'n'slash RPG like PoE, Titan Quest, Diablo etc with WASD movement. I think that like water is supposed to be wet, these types of games are supposed and should be played with mouse. So i hope it will stay this way. And if they for some unimaginable reason decide to implement WASD movement, i really hope it will be just an option for those who want it.
But let GGG rather focus on polishing, new items, acts, quests, monsters, locations, fixing bugs etc.
Last edited by Molda on Aug 17, 2011, 6:56:16 AM
I'm all for this. The fact is, if you don't like WASD and are complaining about the possibility you don't have to use it. Having the possibility for those who want to use it. It would be hard to make it not feel clunky, but there's no need to rule out the idea because "WASD SUCK SO BAD ZOMG."
"
Laisanalgaib1 wrote:
I'm all for this. The fact is, if you don't like WASD and are complaining about the possibility you don't have to use it. Having the possibility for those who want to use it. It would be hard to make it not feel clunky, but there's no need to rule out the idea because "WASD SUCK SO BAD ZOMG."

Implementing something like WASD movement would take out a lot of time that they could use to work on other things, especially for something so minor. WASD costs money, because time is money, and time is wasted on implementing something completely unnecessary for people who play WoW and don't like mouse movement.
"
Laisanalgaib1 wrote:

This argument could be used for everything and anything. "Why won't you implement rotating camera? It's not like you have to use it, why not have the possibility?"

It's stupid, and WASD control is a bad idea.
Joined Closed Beta 20th August 2011
I think the fact that this game is SUPPOSED to be played with a mouse would make eventual wasd controls pretty cool. I'd actually REALLY like to see esdf implemented instead, but that's a personal thing.
The purpose of argument should not be victory, but progress.
WASD would be to hard to implement right now, devs would have to change a lot of attack/interruption mechanics etc, without it WASD would just suck (ability to move only when your not attacking/casting or getting hit is stupid)
Spiral Knights and Bloodline Champions shows how you can do this with WASD AND Mouse, but how this would work in this game I don't know since I haven't played it.

Obviously all Diablo purists are going to say "BLASPHEMY!" but if WASD is implemented well it makes the game feel much more pleasant to play rather then putting such a strain on how much you have to use your mouse.
Well in the Beta there is plenty of time and opportunity to at least try out the WASD movement system. Just make sure you can toggle it somehow, so you're able to also use your mouse to move around. Anyway, it surely is a good idea, as many games have proven it.
"You there, let be bend you here for a moment!
Happy to share my hardened wisdom with you, Exile. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"
"
raidsoft wrote:
Spiral Knights and Bloodline Champions shows how you can do this with WASD AND Mouse, but how this would work in this game I don't know since I haven't played it.

Obviously all Diablo purists are going to say "BLASPHEMY!" but if WASD is implemented well it makes the game feel much more pleasant to play rather then putting such a strain on how much you have to use your mouse.

There is more strain on wasd because you have to allocate different hotkeys for your skills and then you have to move your hand a lot more. Using wasd is poor effficiency because you have to use 4 fingers to operate JUST movement, rather then operate ALL movement with one button and then some. You are optimizing layout efficiency, when you think WASD is easier it makes using abilities more difficult then the mouse layout and accomplishes nearly nothing the mouse doesn't. Like I said, this isn't for WoW players.
"

There is more strain on wasd because you have to allocate different hotkeys for your skills and then you have to move your hand a lot more. Using wasd is poor effficiency because you have to use 4 fingers to operate JUST movement, rather then operate ALL movement with one button and then some. You are optimizing layout efficiency, when you think WASD is easier it makes using abilities more difficult then the mouse layout and accomplishes nearly nothing the mouse doesn't. Like I said, this isn't for WoW players.

I don't agree, also I am not a wow player. I was suggesting that you could do BOTH at the same time, an example of how this can be done is Spiral Knights (though that doesn't mean it automatically works for this game ofc)

The reason I say that the mouse gets "overloaded" is because you are both moving and targeting abilities with the mouse, if you move with WASD that means you can freely use your mouse for targeting without having to constantly move your cursor across the screen to move, then back to your target, then back to move etc etc...

This is mostly a problem for casters though that need to cast and kite a lot. But as I said it should if anything allow both wasd and mouse movement at the same time.

The biggest issue with WASD is the limited range of movement you get as it's digital since you can only move in 8 directions while a mouse movement is not limited in that regard.

Remember though that I have not played this game yet so all this is just based on games I have played with similar control schemes and WASD might just be terrible in this, but it's probably worth exploring unless it would take a lot of time to test.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info