Multistrike

Please consider changing the "36% less damage" modifier to "36% less attack damage." The current design has a very negative interaction with Puncture, Viper Strike, and Ignite mechanics because the resulting debuff double dips on the damage penalty.

I'm afraid this will make Viper Strike unusable as anything but a boss killing skill, as its 50% application chance causes inconsistent clear speed. Multistrike could greatly aid in this regard, but having it greatly reduce the DoT's damage makes it an unreasonable choice.

PS: I know it was originally "36% less melee damage" and that caused issues with attacks that dealt non-melee damage, but I don't think you would run into the same issue changing it to attack damage (as there are no attacks that are part spell; that just doesn't make sense).
Last edited by Fearmonger on Aug 17, 2014, 3:12:24 AM
There are no Attacks that are part Spell, but there's part Secondary Damage. Infernal Blow's explosion is not Attack Damage. It also does funny stuff with Dominating Blow actually.

Personally, I think Multistrike is quite mandatory enough (and shouldn't have been a thing in the first place), but I'm not opposed to the idea either. New Viper Strike can really use it...
Nevermind, apparently its already attack damage in-game and the wiki is just out of date. The same concern applies to Melee Splash but thats less of a big deal since the penalty isn't quite as steep.
Guys, I'm using it with Dual Strike and i noticed a problem: the target changes at each use, doesn't matter if I'm always pointing the same target.

Anybody else having this problem? Any solutions?
"
Guys, I'm using it with Dual Strike and i noticed a problem: the target changes at each use
That's not a problem, that's the basic functionality of the gem.
Got a mechanics question:
Let's say I'm dual wielding 2 weapons, first one has 8% base crit, second one has 5%. I know that crit is rolled once for all 3 of multistrike attacks, but which one of those 2 base crit chances (8% or 5%) are used for these calculations? Is it normalized to (8+5)/2 = 6.5% or is the main hand crit chance the only thing that matters? Is it the same for an attack that hits with both weapons (dual strike) and attacks that alternate between main hand and off-hand (flicker strike)?
"
Vanarchy wrote:
Let's say I'm dual wielding 2 weapons, first one has 8% base crit, second one has 5%. I know that crit is rolled once for all 3 of multistrike attacks, but which one of those 2 base crit chances (8% or 5%) are used for these calculations?
Depending on what you mean by that, the answer is either neither or both.

Neither: Crit chance is not involved in making the crit roll for the skill (this is the bit which only happens once). It's just a random number from 1 to 100. No crit chance is involved in picking it.
Both: For each hit the skill makes, it compares the relevant crit chance stat to the crit roll the skill made (factoring in any modifiers on the defending monster) to see if that hit is a critical. Hits made with the 8% crit chance weapon will use 8% for this purpose, hits made with the 5% crit chance weapon will use 5%.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Vanarchy wrote:
Let's say I'm dual wielding 2 weapons, first one has 8% base crit, second one has 5%. I know that crit is rolled once for all 3 of multistrike attacks, but which one of those 2 base crit chances (8% or 5%) are used for these calculations?

Neither: Crit chance is not involved in making the crit roll for the skill (this is the bit which only happens once). It's just a random number from 1 to 100. No crit chance is involved in picking it.
Both: For each hit the skill makes, it compares the relevant crit chance stat to the crit roll the skill made (factoring in any modifiers on the defending monster) to see if that hit is a critical. Hits made with the 8% crit chance weapon will use 8% for this purpose, hits made with the 5% crit chance weapon will use 5%.

Sorry Mark, my poor little brain was blown to bits and does not compute... :S

Is my below understanding correct:

1. Crit roll (not related to crit chance), is rolled once per multistrike

2. Crit roll is benchmarked against crit chance for each individual strike to determine if there's a crit chance or not?
"
dlrr wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Vanarchy wrote:

Sorry Mark, my poor little brain was blown to bits and does not compute... :S

Is my below understanding correct:

1. Crit roll (not related to crit chance), is rolled once per multistrike

2. Crit roll is benchmarked against crit chance for each individual strike to determine if there's a crit chance or not?

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that when you use an attack you roll a random number between 1-100 which will be your crit range, this is not affected by crit chance. This is rolled once per skill use.

Lets say you roll 60. Your weapons have 8 and 5 crit chance respectively, neither of those reach up to 60 so you won't crit with any of them.

Next attack you roll 7. One weapon reach that number while the other doesn't and you'll therefor crit each time you hit with the weapon that has 8% crit chance and you won't crit with the one that has 5%.

The attack after that you roll 4. Both weapons are within that range and therefor will both crit each time they hit.

Another way of thinking about is the way you calculate evasion.
Like when you attack you roll a number between 0-99, then you add the crit chance you have with a weapon to that number. If that number then goes above 100 you will crit.

They are basically the same, just different way of calculating.
IGN Hardcore: Muppman
IGN Beyond: TheTrueAuraBitch or BlixtarOchDunder
Last edited by keyarchan on Aug 27, 2014, 10:36:12 PM
Good Lord, Mark. You and your riddles =)

What I want to know is.. let me make a simple example:
I have +500% crit chance from gear and passive tree.
That translates into 48% crit chance with main hand and 30% crit chance with my off-hand.

Without multistrike: I use an attack that alternates weapons -> hits with main hand will use 48%, hits with off-hand will use 30%.

With multistrike: As far as I know, if first multistrike hit is a critical, second and third skill hits are also guaranteed to crit. Are you saying that it's only true for 1 weapon, in case of dual wielding even if first weapon passed the crit check, the second one will still have to succeed it's own in the mh->oh->mh hits scenario? I guess I got it now.

Basically my question was, should I keep the higher crit chance weapon in my main hand to increase chances of making all 3 multistrike attacks to crit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info