Melee Splash

I am confused about the mechanics, at least as far as tool tip reports changes.

Gem says 20% less damage to main target. So I place a lvl 1 gem with heavy blow and the dgm goes from 160-299 physical to 133-239 physical. The base physical 166-299*.8 yields this result as expected.

Now I also have a lvl 9 gem which says it increases physical by 24%. However, tool tip reflects 146-263. But 166-299*.8*1.24 is 164-296.

Dbl strike with the same weapon says 77-139 dropping to 62-111 physical with lvl 1 gem, but goes to 68-123 with the lvl 9 gem. Still well below the increase I expect from 24% increased physical dmg, and is similar results to the first scenario.

So by lvl 9 with 24% increased physical damage you should be close to breaking even base on my understanding of what the gem says, yet you are getting closer to a 10% increase (of the reduced amount) if my math and tool tip are correct.

Now I am no mathematician, so I may be missing something obvious, so please feel free to point it out if I am. If its something less obvious, please explain it.
Last edited by orionsky on May 12, 2013, 7:28:55 PM
"
Now I also have a lvl 9 gem which says it increases physical by 24%. However, tool tip reflects 146-263. But 166-299*.8*1.24 is 164-296.

You did not take into account that it is "increased" damage, not "more" damage.

All the "increased"-damage boni are added together, including Strenght-Boni and passive-damage-boni.
Your equation should look like "166-299*0.8*(100+Strbonus+Skillboni+Gembonus)/100". I guess your bonus went up from lets say about 1.67 to 1.91 by adding those 24% of the Gem.
If i have puncture + melee splash + other supports in my chest and use a two handed mace it works as I expect it to.

But I have a bow on my 2nd weapon slot. I can still use puncture like normal but is it effected by meele splash? It shouldn't right? since it's not melee damage when I use a bow, but the tooltip still shows the melee damage.

Is it less damage even though i use a bow or can the tooltip just not detect that I don't use melee?
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
I am using a dw duelist with dual strike + melee plash + life gain on hit and able to face tank in act 2 merciless with the help of armour potion and warlord mark. the area of effect seems to increase as the gem levels up. I think the mana cost modifier is a bit high at 160%.
Do things like Area of Effect passives and support gems influence the radius and damage of a skill that Melee Splash is on?
"If they actually showed gameplay with it zoomed out and then zoomed it in for the real one I think there would be actual riots in the street. I think that people would burn the building down."
Yes, Splash is an AoE. ;) It all applies. Quality bonuses that grant Increased AoE will also apply, such as that found on Infernal Blow, which is pretty nifty!

Of note: the damage displays use the initial hit, which is not AoE Damage, so the damage passives won't actually show.
I like it, and personally think all physical damage builds should be running this and multi-strike at ALL times. At level 20, if both support gems are used, you get far faster attacks, that also do 112% of the physical damage that they used to do. using both of these together only seems capable of improving my DPS personally.
Sorry if it was asked before, but why the hell on earth Melee Splash doesn't work with Shield Charge?
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
for reference in case it was forgotten or lost, the new base radius is 14 units instead of 12 (the 17% increase mentioned in patch notes). should be easier to make a splash at a target fully infront of player and splash hit something behind the player, after AoE boosts still of course.
Feels much better, thanks for the adjustment.

Only gripe, why does it do less damage to the main target at all? It functions similar to an explosive, the main target gets hit and everything around it takes damage. So shouldn't the main target at least take full damage and the splash does progressively less damage the farther it goes? Seems like it would work better like point blank type mechanics but I flat out don't see why it would do less damage to the main target period.

If it's gonna do less to the main target it should function more like GS then where it hits whatever and does splash damage, meaning it hits the ground if there isn't a target in range.

But aoe feels better so I'll take a small victory there.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info