Communication and the Sacred Orb

Just remove the hidden 10-20% and delete sacred orb [Removed by Support]
Last edited by Will_GGG on Oct 11, 2021, 11:39:45 PM
i would rather not have this. i actually liked the idea that there is another thing to chase - the perfect base defence value. if you don't have the perfect item, you take what you can get and maybe you can upgrade it some other time. with this orb you are stuck and forced to burn currency on these sacred orbs and throw them at your item while being stuck in rng hell. NO!! this sucks!
'The Sacred Orb is more than three times rarer than an Exalted Orb.'

Who'd use something like that vs. just farming off another piece? Unless the base item itself is worth >20-30ex, which is probably at most <10 armor in total worth that much. Worse, some of them might not even care about base defenses value.

Bloat vs content.
My Youtube channel guide:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuOAAZyUPDtInV9UDiH4BBw
Let me highlight some numbers since people seem to blow this way out of proportion. I'm going to make an example with an astral plate as it's an endgame base often crafted on.

As stated in this post by Chris, the worst case scenario for a base is a loss of 7.5% of the base armor.

Now let's also remember the core defense post says this :
''Armour provided by base types can now be up to 10% higher[.]''

Astral plates have a base armor value of 711.

This means the absolute worst astral plate imaginable
assuming that ''up to'' would mean this base doesn't even
get any buff at all will now have 657 armor rounded down

This change has no practical change other than sometimes using different bases to craft on at low/medium budget. Is that community really so far
gone that the potential threat of losing a whopping 54 armor triggers an outrage?

Come on, this is ridiculous.

"
LennyGhoul wrote:
"
"
LennyGhoul wrote:
I love how GGG makes something BETTER and then everyone complains about it, and then they explain HOW IT'S BETTER and then even more people complain about it.

What exactly did GGG make "better"?

Maybe you should re-read the entire topic from the start so you have a better understanding of how this works.

I did read it, and understood it. Which is why I'm asking what you think they made "better"? Nothing about the variable base defenses change makes the game "better", and the new orb's sole reason for existing is the variable base defenses change. We have the same base defense values as before, but instead of craftable extra quality, which both improves base defense values and improves socketing and linking chances, we have this completely separate modifier to base defenses which has both a lower average and a lower top end compared to craftable quality, and it also doesn't improve socketing and linking chances. And we can't even modify it in a deterministic way like with armourers scraps, instead we get yet another layer of RNG on top of the billion other layers of RNG we already have to put up with (which you'd think GGG would understand by now most of us absolutely fucking hate, after all the negative feedback they've gotten about the Harvest nerfs).

So the variable base defenses change is an across-the-board nerf (and far from the only nerf we've seen for 3.16), when we were promised only buffs in 3.16 aside from the fortify changes. And then on top of that, after the community has made it abundantly clear we don't want more useless extra shit we have to pick up, we get this glorified blessed orb/armourers scrap that's rarer than an exalted orb, so it'll never drop in the stacks we've been promised for more common currency like scraps. In every respect this change makes the game worse and is completely fucking tone deaf. You would think Chris hadn't spent the past two and a half months scrambling to do damage control after the disastrous way the 3.15 changes were received.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
this is a stupid idea that just adds more RNG clutter to the piles of crap we already ignore.

we need less RNG for items, not more. remove crappy bases, dont ruin all bases by adding more RNG.

you have ~15 types of RNG involved with crafting an item already. stop it.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
"
So what are the consequences of introducing variable base defences to Path of Exile?

"
For new players, the impact is low. As the per-item base defences averages a spread of around 15%, a good or bad item you find is going to deviate by plus or minus 7.5% from average, an amount that is entirely dwarfed by whatever mods it has.

No i think this is the furthest from the truth. A new player will see varying ranges of base stat on an item and think "why should i invest into this lesser item"

"
For players who want to craft from base types, it creates a situation where base types matter a lot more. It's far more interesting if you have the opportunity to spot a good base type to craft with, rather than them all being exactly the same. Don't worry, you can filter for it.

Base types already matter because of influences WE DID NOT NEED MORE RNG. And yes this WOULD have been good for crafters if you had not added the sacred orb no matter how rare it is to reroll the value (like you stated in the first post about base variation)

"
For players who want to have and collect trophy uniques or other perfect items, it gives them another axis for the item to be perfected on. Having a unique with close-to-perfect mod values alongside close-to-perfect base defences is even more impressive.

You could say this about litterally any item ... all this is causing is more rng bloat that no one asked for

"
Finally, it does help slightly with 3.16's goal of improving character defences. This feature was moved from 3.17 to 3.16 because it made more sense alongside other defensive buffs.

Maybe it will but so would just adding 10% to 20% by default to items ... adding more rng not only creates dissatisfaction when we want more determinism and less rng but it also devalues the positive naritive of it that you are unreasonably trying to promote

Not trying to be rude or anything tho oof

honestly dislike this, I am ok with there being an orb for this, but not so insanely rare.

for context a divine orb is roughly 33% rarer than a Exalt... and now we are going to > 3x rarer?
Interesting Change, the orb will probably not be used by anyone that's not in the upper echelon of POE since it's next to a mirror. People are thinking about it like i don't get to use that thing but the thing is we are getting essentially free upgrade to our defences without any investment we just need luck and luck is on our side 7.5% deviation means we are almost always going to get a better than previous league piece of gear, the Atlas isn's getting harder, sirius isn't getting harder yet we are given more defences to work with. This is actually in favor of the common foes, to be honest how many 50 exalt gears a common player would have anyways who only have about 1 - 3 hours at max a day, we all work via some budget uniques and have fun with those, we are not looking to deck out ourselves with 300 exalt for the game.

Overall i feel the patch is going to be good, it probably won't help anyone with boss one shots, i believe it will be impactful for early map and ACTs.

For regular player just ignore the things GGG makes close to a mirror thing that are not for you anyways, they are for the ppl who plays the game a lot and are really rich in the game.

New Gems and Fun League to my observation is for my kind of player.
Heist was too hard to get rewarded, Delirium was perfect even though not easy, Ultimatum and Maven i didn't get to play the leagues, Expedition played a terrible build of crackling lance. So i am those ppl who only have time for 1 build per league.
Last edited by Karazine on Oct 12, 2021, 12:06:31 AM
"
Cobbo wrote:
A solution to a self-made problem

nice

I know that the variable defence will be an insignificant change while playing the game overall, but it just sticks like a thorn in my mind. This feels like the most unimaginative way to add yet another layer of inconsequential grinding to the game.
-Will variable defence values introduce a meaningful impact to survival? Doubt it.
-Would I attempt to craft a mid-late game base over an identical drop with good existing mods but lower base defence? No.
-Does the new currency make crafting more interesting? No.
-Will it rekindle my "joy" of picking up raw items? No.
-Is this something I would enjoy grinding for? No.
This will pretty much just affect base item prices, but trading in its current form is my most hated aspect of POE. Design choices should be either fun, interesting, or improve QOL for a better experience. This change just sounds clunky and frankly lazy.
You wanted the player base to learn more about crafting through Harvest. Great, I'm sure more people attempt crafting now, and while frustrating at times its fun to learn. Then you nerfed Harvest because it was too powerful, fine. But introducing a new types of global drop blessed orb that's 2-3 time rarer than an exalt to make crafting more fun....No, just no.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info