Baeclast Podcast with Chris Wilson This Week

Whats so weird about the game:

If you run a juicided map thats actively really hard for you, the reward is not good for the near-death risk you took.

Then if you run a map thats basically no issue for you, the reward is in quantity of maps run per hour.

Theres a benefit in just brainless running maps and enjoying some music / stream and do so basically brain-afk ... a lot of people really enjoy that, especially if they work full day and just want to play some hours in the night.

Then there are actually challenging content, which you prepare for, that content is not properly rewarded in PoE right now, not even close.

Also there is much less working deterministically towards a goal, as so much is just plain RNG you have to play more and quicker to increase the chances simply in quantity.
Having 1000 rolls with 1% chance is simply better than having a single 50/50 shot and missing that one shot is painful.

For some mechanics a "bad luck" protection (also the microtransaction boxes) needs to be put in place, so you can get lucky to quickly get what you want, but you are not infinitely punished by never getting it at all, at some point you should get it after a lot of work put into it.

Exp Bosses are a content that is very well done, but its so rare that it doesnt deliver enough reward on its own.
Same in Ultimatum, the actual interesting Ultimatums and Boss fights simply where too rare.

Farming Sirus takes incredible long for the average joe.

Introduce a "white map" Sirus , even a white map Maven thats more simpler, but make Bosses more readily available, and provide harder and more rare versions of them (Atziri is a good example for that, or how Elder worked with its map tier versions).
i love 3.13
"

It's also highly likely that we'll be disclosing some of our 3.16 plans ahead of our official announcement.

My guess is, they will try to aim to release 3.16 in Dec, so maybe some throwaway leagues to fill in between.
But judging from the current state, wonder if 3.15 can last another 2 months.
Hey GGG maybe watch this and learn if you want more players... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtdaby3q6NI
"
Can't wait for the apologies....

It'll never happen again.......

Can't wait for your disappointment. They aren't going to backtrack the nerfs.
The mass nerfs would have gone over with the entire community a lot better if enemies received the same treatment. All players lost basically 40-60% damage, defense and mobility all in one patch, but monsters still 1 shot out of nowhere, heck even more often than before due to our lowered defenses and mobility.

It's ironic as hell I found a Tabula in the Cavern of Anger and 2 exalted orbs before reaching yellow maps. Always get the luck when you don't need it (since I've quit the league at lvl 85 already).

edit: Also worth noting I already knew they wouldn't dial down the massive grind for atlas completion, spawning Sirus, Elder and Shaper, as well as the challenges.

They are all still ludicrously overly long as always, and were not modified to compensate for the entire game being way slower.

The farthest I've ever gotten was 24/40 in metamorph. Challenges are so stupidly grindly it's just comical.

Anyone who gets even 36/40 has literally no job or social life, that's an objective fact. All the challenges need to be reduced by basically half.
Last edited by dizz on Aug 9, 2021, 8:30:40 PM
yo Chris

ffs save the game
Please revert reward systems to pre-3.14 patch:

-Atlas passives

-Delve

-Delirium orbs

-Crafting (not harvest crafting, you guys included many bad mods in the mod pools of various items; bleed suffix (phys tag), warstaves, rune dagger)

You are destroying your own game by trying to make player crawl at the pace of slugs, hoping that this increases player retention. It's annoying and certainly not engaging. POE has evolved since it's pre-beta farming Piety days. Please, move with the times or your players will move along aswell.

Making a powerful character in your game in pointless, change the reward systems.
The question here is are we going to get doubling down on the current patch, with Chris simply providing more "context" and "background" for his vision? If so, frankly that does nothing for me. There are plenty of other games out there that are enjoyable to play and I don't need to go through a miserable time simply in order to justify a developer's philosophy on game mechanics. If, on the other hand, there are signs of a return to the way things used to be I might jump in this league or next.

Some background, I started playing relatively recently (Harvest). I found the game pretty daunting, but gradually got really into it, bought a bunch of supporter packs, and managed my first Sirus kill of any type (A0) last league with an archmage BF/BB raider. I know that was a meta build and many people do A8, but for me, I was proud of that. When I read the patch notes this league and saw that archmage and raider were heavily nerfed, meaning I couldn't play my old character in standard, I was bummed. When I saw the rest of the patch notes suggesting that the game as a whole would be more of a slog due to defensive changes I decided to give this league a pass. I feel totally vindicated in that decision by how people have reacted. I already have a major uphill battle trying to get any of my friends to play this game due to its enormous complexity and the fact that new players are overwhelmed with mechanics from past leagues and a skill tree that can break your character if you don't follow a build guide from a third party website. Most people bounce off of that in favor of other games with lower barriers to entry, and I can't say I blame them. But sadly, the 3.15 patch seems to have made that problem worse.

I'm cautiously optimistic because the last time I had a major problem with the game (queue times at launch last league) the devs were very apologetic. But we'll see.
3.15 is dead. Hope next league is better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info