Bear Trap

Thanks for the reply. The skill is currently level 10 and it holds unique mobs for less than a second on Cruel difficulty. I read that people mostly use it for holding down unique mobs... does it get better at higher levels? Right now, it seems to be a waste of a skill slot.
Last edited by sharpacid on Mar 26, 2013, 5:12:02 PM
"
sharpacid wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The skill is currently level 10 and it holds unique mobs for less than a second on Cruel difficulty. I read that people mostly use it for holding down unique mobs... does it get better at higher levels? Right now, it seems to be a waste of a skill slot.

You may have more luck when linking it with Added Fire Damage and Culling Strike.

I don't think Bear Trap's main function is as a snare, though. At least, I've never heard of anyone using it for that. If anything it's a powerful single target damage ability - the dps scales incredibly when leveled and augmented correctly.
1. Does the added phys damage from rings/ammys work on bear trap?

2. would the phys damage bonus from uniques like enzom's helm work on it?
if the accessory says +#-# phys (or element), then nothing happens for bear trap. if it says % increased, then gets benefit.
uniques usually fall under that second sentence.
i rather like it. used with frenzy charges, culling strike and sdded cold damage, i quite deals a good amount of physdamage, plus i like to use it with rare single targets and decoy totem....
"
From my experiences in PvP I have messed around with alout of builds and faced quite a few people in 1v1 and 3v3. I have seen more and more builds use bear trap even if it made no sense whatsoever, even if it didn't compliment their build in any way shape or form. So the question is why? Why use Bear Trap? Because of several factors.

1- Bear Trap just stand alone, the stats are very high. At best the trap should do decent damage but not at the levels we are seeing. The trap should be more of a immobilize than a knockout spell along with the control you get with it.

2- Another horrible problem with ALL traps, "bear trap included" is that they are INVISIBLE. The traps literally cannot be seen by their opponents. Traps should atleast be visible so they can be countered by other players in a realistic fashion. With totems it can be debated that it is more of a balanced third party source of damage because you can see it, target it, and make a strategy accordingly. With traps you have a invisible source of damage in which you cannot target with spells or attacks. the only way to negate it is either by walking over it yourself, summon a totem on top of it. Or make a summon and hopefully he walks over it in your stead.

In short you get too many pros with traps in general with no drawbacks at all. It lowers the skillcap of the game, and generally takes out the fun of a competitive based pvp setting.

If you are to change it, atleast make it to where everyone can see the damn thing for starters. If the person setting the trap can see it, so should the opposite party.

Apparently bear trap requires little passive points because its designed for any class to use it. If GGG wants it this way then at least lower the damage and make it more what its supposed to be "a trap". People are using it as a one hit damage skill and the trapping is more secondary or not needed at all.

I hope you have plans to redesign this thing GGG. I remember reading once that you were interested in making traps "charge" to reach their damage potential. That sounds like it would make a lot more sense than people throwing it at something and immediately getting all of that damage.
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
Apparently bear trap requires little passive points because its designed for any class to use it. If GGG wants it this way then at least lower the damage and make it more what its supposed to be "a trap". People are using it as a one hit damage skill and the trapping is more secondary or not needed at all.

I hope you have plans to redesign this thing GGG. I remember reading once that you were interested in making traps "charge" to reach their damage potential. That sounds like it would make a lot more sense than people throwing it at something and immediately getting all of that damage.

It's a trap because it's activated when walked over. Trap DPS is the same for almost every class right now. The only difference is for damage coming from crit which all classes have access to but the magic side probably has a bit better access to. It should not benefit from spell crit.

Bear Trap = single target damage
Fire Trap = AOE damage
Freeze Mine = AOE snare (though, it'd work better as a trap combined with elemental proliferation)
It seems like Bear Trap(and Shockwave totem) now works with spell damage. Is it bug or undocumented change?
The tooltip has always been wrong.
Interesting: when I leveled an added fire support that was linked to my 2 bear trap gems, my throwable trap count reset as if I had de/re-equipped my item in which the traps resided. I guess this is because levelling a gem de/re-equips whatever item it's in; this can be troublesome for trap-oriented builds (like mine).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info