Bear Trap

I remember bear trap from back when Perpetus was the most dangerous boss in the game; bear trap used to do big chunks of damage and be excellent single taret skill for trappers.

I tried it again today on my lightning trap char, because I was struggeling with single target. Linked to trap and mine damage and added fire bear trap did less damage than an unsupported lightning trap, while costing 3.4 times as much mana. Needless to say it was completely useless.

Why has bear trap been nerfed so badly?
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.
Bear trap seems to auto-target actual enemies over totems. If you toss a bear trap into a group of enemies, even if it lands directly on a totem, it will always auto-target a nearby mob instead. It sounds like an odd nitpick but there are some situations where this is very frustrating.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Been trying to make a Bear Trap Bino's build, but leveling this skill is a chore, largely because it is ridiculously mana intensive for mediocre damage, and being a trap your very limed in your means of mana sustain. Only regen and flasks, and there is virtually no regen on trap side of the tree.

Even with a flask build, it's not really worth the cost.
This skill has collected dust with all the changes to traps and additional physical spells. It just doesn't pack enough punch to warrant use anymore. Also 'Trap + Bladefall' outclasses it completely with higher damage and area of effect.

Classifying it as a spell like most other traps are would do a lot to bring it up to par.

Higher base critical chance would also help. It fits the theme of a bear trap being a singular vicious hit.

A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
Last edited by Maceless on Oct 28, 2016, 5:22:32 PM
Base damage is too high, it was 'fine' before AoF and PtL have been added to the game, but now tree has a lot more trap / global phys / elemental damage, access to full elemental conversion adds additional layer of damage scaling, currently the skill damage range is a piece of ancient PoE, artifact of the times when the only way to get high impact damage was supporting BT with Remote Mine. Even with that high base damage the skill immobilization mechanic can't be effectively used vs bosses and actually there is no need to even try that.
I appreciate trap trigger radius scaling fix, but it turned out as more harm than good, In pve high trigger radius cluster bear trap sort of unusable, if thrown on a monster pack all 4 traps usually aim at the same monster. In pvp cluster bear trap deals insane burst damage, it's unmanageable.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Oct 25, 2017, 7:25:28 AM
is the "increased BT CD recovery speed" enchant worth anything on an helmet like this?

I don't know a lot about trap builds.
No. Bear Trap is very rarely used at all.
I found that 3.2 bear trap is added with Spell as one of its types.
However spell damage or spell critical chance are not able to modify damage of bear trap.
I'd like to know your plans.
Are you really going to do something with this badass skill?

Sry post it incorrectly.
Last edited by ecneics07 on Mar 15, 2018, 9:46:04 PM
However spell damage or spell critical chance are not able to modify damage of bear trap.
"
ecneics07 wrote:

"Skill gems which previously had the "Cast" tag now have the "Spell" tag. Skills which are spells but do not benefit from increases to spell damage now explicitly say so in the skill description. This has no impact on gameplay." -3.2.0 patch notes

So, no.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info