Season One and Race feedback

"
Angryafrican wrote:
'No TP' races please! Would be amazingly fun and difficult race type requiring a very different approach.

I really like this idea. It's like the Torchlight Phase Portals and Challenges, to the death, can't exit.

Here's my Cut-throat feedback, i was able to (feebly) participate in 4 of the 7.

1) For the love of god implement permanent cut-throat leagues already! These short ones have once again only served to make me long for permanent CT even more. I just want to try my ideas, tread lightly and see how well (badly) i will succeed (fail) being hunted with one life.

2) Consider trying anonymous cut-throat races. Instead of seeing a player's name in all the usual places (instance manager, nameplate, "first to xyz"), for these everyone is named "Player" or something. This would be very helpful to streamers, would avoid /whois abuse, and would just in general be interesting to try i think. The only downside is you wouldn't know who killed you, to hunt him back, etc. Which is why i think it should be tested first, and likely not be the setting for *all* cuttrhoat leagues. Just a setting we can use, at the least for paid leagues.

3) Remove text warnings that give away player proximity. I think no "someone has entered" is a vast improvement over the old style. However, i think perhaps you should go all the way and hide "johnnyrocket has reached level 16" and "johnnyrocket was slain" messages. I think the slain ones are ok (but are still a giveaway there are people in your instance if you weren't involved in the combat), but the levelup ones can needlessly blow a hunter's cover.

4) Drop gems and flasks in hardcore cut-throat. I don't understand why this isn't the case already. Probably just an oversight when you first blocked flasks and gems from dropping. If you die once in HC CT you're out of it anyway, what do flasks and gems matter? You'll pick them up along the way just like everything else when you level from 0 again. All it would take is one line of code (an if statement) to make it so hardcore CT drops everything, the way it should be.

5) Improve pvp experience gain. I think it would be an improvement if it were viable to levelup exclusively or almost exclusively from pvp. E.g. give a base amount based on clvl, just like killing any monster mlvl, even if the killed player has an empty xp bar. Perhaps diminishing returns or something if kill trading is a problem. Really tho, something, anything needs to be done for pvp experience, since everyone goes and pvps when they ding, and thus no one ever gains any xp from pvp. Only time is the rare occasion when pve'ing is interrupted by pvp.

6) Instance manager sorting options. Allow some simple sorting, e.g. by number of players, by first player's name.

All in all, just get hardcore cut-throat (and softcore i suppose) in the game already, and stop worrying about "balance"! We want to play it, just let us jump into the meat grinder and see what happens. It's still technically Beta, after all.
Necropolis: 96
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Apr 15, 2013, 7:43:51 AM
my 5 cents :

- keep party and solo races separate, increase the amount of solo races (we had too many party races now)
- keep the season ladder system as it is, increasing the amount of solo races (66% solo 33% party sounds good to me) should be enough
- rewards need to be reworked, races need to be more appealing, i would really like it if more people did them. currency rewards sound good.
- the "best" solo race : 3 hour, best party race : 2 hour, try to have as many as possible of these as they are the least random and the most intense
- more turbo races, out of the 'weird' races turbo is by far the best as it doesn't favor melee/ranged.. and turbo vaal is always fun. stuff like BLAMT solo races are fun for a change but not really competitive like a turbo can be.
- the 8 hour solo was probably the most fun race i've done so far, hoping to see (a few) more of those.. with improved rewards that match the time investment

lastly, my most important piece of feedback :

- there's maphack out there and it's ruining racing, i have strong suspicions about several 'top' racers which i will never voice, i shouldn't have to. something needs to be done about it, it's a far bigger concern than anything else right now.
IGN : asdfman
As one of the many people who didn't play a single race due to the impossible schedule, I suggest the following:

GGG gives each account a set number of races for the week, divided up into group and solo however they see fit. These races can be started at any time. You can do them all in one day, if you want, or spread them out through the week. At the end of the week, any that you haven't done are removed, and the next weeks races are made available to you.

Yes, some people will have the time to run every race 5 times with different accounts. So what? Right now there are thousands of people who don't even bother because they know they won't be able to participate in enough races to secure enough points for any of the race rewards.
"
unsane wrote:
2) Consider trying anonymous cut-throat races. Instead of seeing a player's name in all the usual places (instance manager, nameplate, "first to xyz"), for these everyone is named "Player" or something. This would be very helpful to streamers, would avoid /whois abuse, and would just in general be interesting to try i think. The only downside is you wouldn't know who killed you, to hunt him back, etc. Which is why i think it should be tested first, and likely not be the setting for *all* cuttrhoat leagues. Just a setting we can use, at the least for paid leagues.

Exile A: But Sir, in Cutthroat League we have no names!

Kraityn: This is a man, and he has a name: RobertPaulson. He's dead now because of us. Do you understand that?

Exile B: I understand. In death, a player in Cutthroat League has a name. His name is RobertPaulson. Oh, and I_Make_Ice_Nova_YEY killed him. There's a little text message saying so.

Exile C: (raises hand) Yep. I sure did.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 15, 2013, 9:30:39 AM
Unsane's feedback is insane!

"
unsane wrote:

4) Drop gems and flasks in hardcore cut-throat. I don't understand why this isn't the case already.

One could argue that flasks should be dropped in hardcore cutthroat. However, if gems were dropped on the ground as well, players would end up running around with almost all starting gems. Kill a lvl 1 of each class and voilà!

"
asdfman wrote:

- there's maphack out there and it's ruining racing, i have strong suspicions about several 'top' racers which i will never voice, i shouldn't have to. something needs to be done about it, it's a far bigger concern than anything else right now.

^this!

"
Princepapa wrote:
Spoiler
As one of the many people who didn't play a single race due to the impossible schedule, I suggest the following:

GGG gives each account a set number of races for the week, divided up into group and solo however they see fit. These races can be started at any time. You can do them all in one day, if you want, or spread them out through the week. At the end of the week, any that you haven't done are removed, and the next weeks races are made available to you.

Yes, some people will have the time to run every race 5 times with different accounts. So what? Right now there are thousands of people who don't even bother because they know they won't be able to participate in enough races to secure enough points for any of the race rewards.

A race should be live action with everyone running at the same time. What you are suggesting comes closer to a "Best 1 hour solo results off all time" ladder.

Looking forward to seeing the cutthroat ranking system.. Hope to see something that encourages killing higher level players rather than low level players and thus indirectly encourages leveling but also encourages invading other players' instances while leveling up. If the ranking is based on player kills, it should also depend on the level of each player killed without granting any significant benefit to friends just taking turns killing each other (in normal cutthroat). Perhaps 1 point per level of the player killed (obviously not race reward points, just a means of ranking within a single race other than XP).
The winner of a cutthroat race should NOT be:

- Friends taking turns killing each other (no matter what level)
- Players who killed a lot of low level players
- Low level players
Last edited by Hassefar60 on Apr 15, 2013, 2:34:12 PM
My feedback as a very casual racer

- Short races set before 2pm Pacific TIme and after 8am Pacific Time
I get off work at 7am get home around 7:30 so the only race time I could regularly make was the 10am race. If said race was 3 hours I didn't find it worth my effort but I played all manner of solo and party 1 hour races during my available time. As I go to bed around 3pm Pacific Time I never found the 2pm race convenient.

- Map modifiers
I loved BLAMT, BM,Turbo, Ancestral, didn't try a multiptoj only, and loved Lethal too As I have a small party I play with when convenient I prefer my races to be party despite the fact I can't compete with the top dogs and only 'race' in the sense that I get to a point threshold in that time period

-Season Rewards
I think there should be one at 15,30,45,60 etc (just add the 45)

Dislikes
- Long races
I can't justify putting over an hour of time into a race.

- Coral ring RNG
Nessa should always have at least one coral ring no exceptions

Future suggestions:
-Run solo and party races concurrently
I know lots of people like solo races and before I joined my small party so did I. After joining said party however I find it far more fun to play with them than to solo but I don't begrudge soloers their desire to solo. I think each race should be run such that there is a 1 hour BLAMT party and a 1 hour BLAMT Solo at the same start time for example.

-More exotic race types
I love love love the various map mod races.

-Starting outside of act 1
Since I've made so many race characters I have gotten to the point where I find act 1 too boring to create a new character and play unless I create said character in a race. I would like to start in acr 2 or 3 for example. Likewise I have never done maps because I don't feel like levelling that much so some map races (with rewards but delete the character post race) would be fun.

Overall I love racing and look forward to what you guys come up with in the future.
You expect me to act as something I'm not? I picked this name for a reason.
"
Hassefar60 wrote:

Looking forward to seeing the cutthroat ranking system.. Hope to see something that encourages killing higher level players rather than low level players and thus indirectly encourages leveling but also encourages invading other players' instances while levleing up. If the ranking is based on player kills, it should also depend on the level of each player killed without granting any significant benefit to friends just taking turns killing each other (in normal cutthroat). Perhaps 1 point per level of the player killed (obviously not race reward points, just a means of ranking within a single race other than XP).

- Low level players

What if it was ranked by total XP stolen from other players?
You expect me to act as something I'm not? I picked this name for a reason.
People often get frustrated with RNG. How about an RNG-centric race?

Rules:
1. passive skill points are automatically allocated for you anywhere on the tree, at random

2. quest rewards with skill gems reward random (level appropriate) gems

3. any type of mob (scaled up/down to level of area) can spawn in any area at random

might be fun. Anyone else have any RNG related rules to add?

"
Arrogant wrote:
Spoiler
"
Hassefar60 wrote:

Looking forward to seeing the cutthroat ranking system.. Hope to see something that encourages killing higher level players rather than low level players and thus indirectly encourages leveling but also encourages invading other players' instances while levleing up. If the ranking is based on player kills, it should also depend on the level of each player killed without granting any significant benefit to friends just taking turns killing each other (in normal cutthroat). Perhaps 1 point per level of the player killed (obviously not race reward points, just a means of ranking within a single race other than XP).

- Low level players

What if it was ranked by total XP stolen from other players?

Could work.. perhaps :).. I was merely brainstorming.. It should of course be possible to steal XP even when players have no XP towards the next level.
"
Arrogant wrote:
-Run solo and party races concurrently
I know lots of people like solo races and before I joined my small party so did I. After joining said party however I find it far more fun to play with them than to solo but I don't begrudge soloers their desire to solo. I think each race should be run such that there is a 1 hour BLAMT party and a 1 hour BLAMT Solo at the same start time for example.

Wow, that is a great idea! Totally solves the solo vs party issue. For every single race, have a solo version and party version running at the same time. Problem solved!
Necropolis: 96
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info