Season One and Race feedback

Setting up some races where the character gets deleted at the end sounds pretty cool.
It opens up the possibility for more insane/un-balanced game types as well as allowing for currency or item rewards. Might be something to test out during the inter-Season break =p

Also, more interesting race objectives pls =)
I'd like to see another reward tier above the current 480 points / Atziri's Mirror.

The season ladder prizes should be announced before the season begins rather than midway through.
And as it is such so also as such is it unto you
Modifier races (totems, turbo, etc)

Dislikes:
3 hour races
[EDIT] group races as I have no one to group with =v.v=
my crappyness at races (im in the top 600 lolololol)
Last edited by TheFrank on Apr 1, 2013, 12:51:04 AM
2h solo is a boring western grind? Then change it to 90mins one - boom solved?
3h party race is a boring docks grind? Make it 2:15h.
etc...
Races dont have to end on a fixed hour do they?

For me the most important changes should be the /classladder, separate solo/party and some better rewards huh :D
Progression races although that they sound nice, won't really change much, the same ppl still gonna win, don't kid yourself ;) But some could be thrown in the mix.

And the thing I totally liked as I read this was white items only drops. This just sounds too cool not to have imo.
I posted a feedback in the week race thread, I'll post it here again just in case it isn't read.

I ended up #279. I kinda stopped playing friday when I reached #250 (level 60-63).
I think GGG should adjust the rewards in the lower ladder, I wasn't really compelled to push forward. #200 was 4 levels higher than me and I thought it was too much risk so... I farmed a bit fellshrines to not fall too much behind, and that's it.
Some people above me died, that's why I still have a "decent" rank.

TL;DR: add some granularity in the rank/reward for one week race.

As for other races, I'm too reckless to do anything decent in less than 3 hours.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
I have other feedback, but for now I'll simply take the time to mention the one thing that I consider most important, as I haven't been playing lately (feels pointless, I can't participate in enough races to win the ring).

Make race times flexible

Simply put, in the case of small solo races, there's no real reason not to simply let people run them whenever they want in a 24 hour period. This way you could say have a small one hour race every day, and if someone had a spare hour at any point, they could participate.
Can we have more 1 hour solo races?

I'm too much of a loner to know anybody that wants to party and I just simply do not have the time to participate in any longer races. If I look at the calendar as well, when the infrequent one hour solos do crop up, they are at 3am where I am, or 10am when I'm working.

I get that there is probably a need to limit events so people don't do too many and win all the prizes too early, but the only timed event I can really commit to is the one hour solo so it would be nice to see more of them!
IGN: _XVI
I was really interested when I heard about races knowing the Closed Beta rewards but to be honest, the whole new reward system just didn't catch onto me.

First off, the overall rewards simply don't seem to be worth the time investment unless you're really into races (in which case you'd probably do them without any rewards at all). I was hoping to build up some currency through races instead of farming but the items you get don't have any immediate value to me, especially for how much time you have to invest for a single of the later ones. Would a currency (or heck, even random rare items) reward really mess with the economy that much if the distribution was comparable to in-game currency drop distribution? After all, currency has an inherent value in PoE so having slightly more total currency shouldn't mess with the economy that much - especially considering how effective multi-boxing for currency still is.

Additionally, I'd really appreciate if the reward point system was slightly reworked to consider two currently existing motivational issues:

The first issue is that quests and full clears are really only worth it if you're the first to complete them. You basically gamble whether anybody else goes for them (and usually you'll lose out on the gamble because there's only a single winner). To fix this I'd just increase the overall scalar and give minor rewards for everybody completing those objectives, just like the level rewards. E.g. in a 1 hour race, you could get 5 reward points for completing any objective first, 1 reward point for each completed objective, up to 20 reward points depending on level, up to 25 reward points depending on class rank and up to 8 reward points depending on overall rank. Like this you'd be rewarded for doing the objectives even if you're not first while not making them necessary either.

The second issue is that, for week races mainly, you don't really get any rewards for putting in time until a certain threshold. Last week race had the threshold at 4 points for level 60. Going by the last race, the first player to reach level 60 took roughly 18 hours. This means that unless you have at the very least 18 hours during that week to play PoE (which averages out to roughly two and a half hours per day), there's no reason to participate at all. And this assumes you're a) extremely efficient when you're playing and b) you don't die. I'd say it's much more reasonable to start rewards roughly at level 40 just so people actually have an incentive to participate even when they're not sure whether they'll be able to play 3+ hours a day.

Edit:
Also, just an idea that you've probably heard about already: Actual races with a goal could be a cool addition as well. Instead of having them run a set amount of time you could give players a certain objective to reach (e.g. a level, quest, boss kill, area clear, etc.) and have the fastest to reach that goal win. The other players could then have a certain amount of time to reach that goal (for slightly less points) as well.
Last edited by HiddenoO on Apr 1, 2013, 5:53:51 AM
Just some general feedback:
Invalesco has a lot of good points, but with players killing Vaal with 1:35 minutes left in a 3 hour solo race, I do not see 2 hour solo as being that bad. Also, there seems to be a possibility for reaching the Ledge cruel in 3 hour races and still do well.

To encourage those behaviours, I would suggest that the experience penalty formula for races are made static and thus, the players wont get additional room for being over- or underleveled at level 16 and 32. That should make it much harder to reach level 28 in Western and level 38 in the Docks!

There are several small changes that could be relevant, like reducing xp from exploding enemies, reducing certain areas levels (The Docks), while increasing others (start of cruel act 1) etc. But, let that be a job for the alpha-crew when act 3x is on the way!

The idea about using the unique bosses to encourage progression is really nice! I would love to see a system where you get 1 point towards the overall prices for each of those killed, as opposed to level. Again, this is to encourage progression, but also to encourage scrubcore players like me to participate! You may need to inflate the points a bit to account for this change!

It might be a good idea to put restrictions on what times players can participate in races to discourage all-nighters and quantity over quality. At the same time, I would love to see the all-clear firsts and objective firsts changed to be less important compared to the progression bonusses and the top racer bonusses. Potentially they can be associated with special modes.

Separate ladders for solo and party should be a given.

In terms of new race-types, I am generally in favour of some more diversity of starting environment. Whether that be a town leading to the eternal laboratory and the game happening on maps, flying start in act 2 or 3, a single eternal map or something completely different doesn't matter. As for game-mods I know GGG has many good ideas already.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Last edited by radiatoren on Apr 1, 2013, 6:22:15 AM
oh more feedback:

it would be nice if you could make it such that death announcements can be seen even if global chat is off.

also, currency rewards would be nice yup :D
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info