The Easiest of the Easy Beginner Build Guides [1.1 SotV UPDATED]

Howdy .. I have been following this build for about 3 weeks.. I am new to the game and a casual player.. Just finally figuring out the crafting and using the forums to trade for items etc.

I'm 62 and farming felshrine on Merc.

The Story mode for Merc. is starting to be a challenge .. I am guessing because I need more resist gear.. My questions are :

1. About what level should you aim to finish the Merc. story mode?

2. Please take a look at my gear and give me some ideas about my next upgrades =)

Thanks!

Current Gear

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
Last edited by jesterx93 on Dec 9, 2013, 6:13:53 PM
Just coming back to POE. A BM/LA celerity ranger was my first build, and Im starting back out with one.

I was dismayed cuz I loved celerity and most modern LA builds go up towards witch area and dont go that way. Glad Im not the only one still rolling with one :D
Setup a spelltotem with summon skeletons if you have problems taking too much damage.
Hi,

I have some questions:

- do you max out the STR/DEX-Gems ? (except the STR-gems for the defensive procs)

- can someone explain me the chain vs pierce thing in short ? i dont get it completely.

as far as i understood:

proj weakness + pierce OR only chain and no proj weakness

would appreciate any advices =)
"
hekkktorr wrote:
Hi,

I have some questions:

- do you max out the STR/DEX-Gems ? (except the STR-gems for the defensive procs)

- can someone explain me the chain vs pierce thing in short ? i dont get it completely.

as far as i understood:

proj weakness + pierce OR only chain and no proj weakness

would appreciate any advices =)

I'm maxing all my Gems, except the Support-Gems.

Pierce doesn't reduce the damage like chain does, but doesn't allways pierce. Also it only hits enemys in your arrowpath. When using chain the lightning jumps from enemy to enemy - even enemys behind you or at your side. If you've ever played Diablo 2: It's a lot like the chainlightning-spell of the sorceres or the lightning-javelins of the amazon. Chain works best with many enemys crowded together, since the lightning hits the enemeys severall times. If you've smaller enemy-groups mostly in front of you pierce might be stronger.

Enemys can only be cursed once, except you go for the passive-skill allowing 2 curses at the same time. If you use proectile weakness you could skip the pierce-gem, since you'll get the pierce-chance from the curse. I'm using conductivity mostly and temporal chains for single magic/rare/unique mobs. Conductivity + Chain really rocks when you hit crowded mobgroups.
Another, maybe interesting, defensive curse is blind. Haven't tried it myself, but I guess it could be really helpfull against ranged attackers.

After another gearupgrade I can take down Piety and the mobs at lunaris-temple quiet easy, but I'm still having a real hard time when entering the scepter of god. I guess I need a better plate with more armor, more lifeleech and also more damage...
Hi, first of all thank you ZiggyD for your amazing efforts to keep us all up to date with the insides of POE.

Secondly just a thought! You mentioned set levels for the Cast when hit gems. curious does doing damage to yourself using blood magic not make it proc more likely? if the case why not level it to max...

just a thought haven't tested or read up on it yet. otherwise until i get the gem i have the others set at your recommended level :)

Thanks for reading
X
Whats about that new physical projectile damage support gem, sounds very interesting for this build, which gem would u drop for it (and would u)
Just a big thanks for all your vids and this build guide. Loving PoE so far and though I've played a lot of games, never much of the ARPG genre. I'm finding it really fun and interesting. Sometimes it's a bit too much action, like 6 people in a party with zillions of spells going off everywhere, but overall it's been a great ride.

If anyone is casually reading this and wondering about the build or the author, I suggest watching the video series Ziggy has done (Survival Guide).

Would love it if you did a melee character series at some point Ziggy. I have tons of Questions about how to play them!

KUTGW mate,

-Biomirth
Through various errors and defeats and poor impatient judgement on my part I am restarting my Ranger from scratch.

My biggest downfall was trying to modify my prior weapon with ruinous results trying to get Lightning Arrow to work effectively for me instead of sticking with Poison. The end result was not being able to wear down and defeat (even approach) the next boss battle ZiggyD was after when he introduced switching to Lightning Arrow in his 'Easiest of Easy' Guide.

Unfortunately for me after several days I cannot walk away easily from the game so I'm starting a new character from scratch. I know I need more preparation understanding some concepts I didn't understand well from my previous game.

1. When I play a level farming for good equipment should I really be dropping 9/10 of it all on the ground to stay from town so much longer?

2. Or should I dump it all into my stash in town and when that is full sell off everything not needed for barter?

3. Or as a Ranger going toward Blood Magic eventually I've focused on evasion and ignored armor. Still I will end up with stuff where I don't fully understand which is best to use for the character? I think I need to use my Character Defense display more often and more effectively?

Act III started off so easily for what I built up the first time to level 38 I thought my difficulties were resolved--but they were not at all resolved. Even being several levels above a maps monsters didn't help in the end...or it helped up to bosses driven by different game rules?

4. Why do I need a five or six linked gem slot weapon when those same gem slots can be used in other armor? Or is this yet something else I have not fully understood?

I'm not getting the understanding I need yet I'm ready to dive back into the game again--maybe toward another 140 hour gaming disaster!
~<Ratsneve>~~<Looking for Simple Solo Solutions>~
Currently lvl31 and half way thru act 3, no deaths, plowing through mobs. I took blood magic at around 28 as I hate having to manage mana. Looking for a 4l to add wep ele dmg into my LA+LMP+LGoH, and then at least a 3l for frenzy+added fire+lifeleech (still need to buy those last 2, and spent my 2 chaos on a great life/%ele dmg/3 resists quiver.

Going good, Im already at 1300 life and the next 3 levels will be 12% life nodes.

I miss aura's tho, Im debating taking the aura reduction node next to BM and using anger for leveling. It would be risky but frankly once I get life leech on my frenzy, I think I could swing it. Will wait and see.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info