The Easiest of the Easy Beginner Build Guides [1.1 SotV UPDATED]

"
ZiggyD wrote:
"
TheAndereth wrote:
which one would you suggest? since my gear still isn't that spectacular, what way would you go Ziggy?

BTW: Thanks for this guide and all the great tutorials, really helped me a lot to get into this complex game!!

I'd say the elemental one is still better since you are going blood magic and wont be able to use hatred.

That said, at end game you can potentially drop BM, pick up hatred and then steer towards a physical setup with more potential.
ZiggyD, is there one-way to steer through the tree so I don't have to make any drastic changes (or any changes) in skills and equipment and finish Act 3 (end my solo game)? Thanks.
~<Ratsneve>~~<Looking for Simple Solo Solutions>~
Last edited by Ratsneve on Dec 11, 2013, 2:17:42 PM
"
Ratsneve wrote:
Through various errors and defeats and poor impatient judgement on my part I am restarting my Ranger from scratch.

My biggest downfall was trying to modify my prior weapon with ruinous results trying to get Lightning Arrow to work effectively for me instead of sticking with Poison. The end result was not being able to wear down and defeat (even approach) the next boss battle ZiggyD was after when he introduced switching to Lightning Arrow in his 'Easiest of Easy' Guide.

Unfortunately for me after several days I cannot walk away easily from the game so I'm starting a new character from scratch. I know I need more preparation understanding some concepts I didn't understand well from my previous game.

1. When I play a level farming for good equipment should I really be dropping 9/10 of it all on the ground to stay from town so much longer?

2. Or should I dump it all into my stash in town and when that is full sell off everything not needed for barter?

3. Or as a Ranger going toward Blood Magic eventually I've focused on evasion and ignored armor. Still I will end up with stuff where I don't fully understand which is best to use for the character? I think I need to use my Character Defense display more often and more effectively?

Act III started off so easily for what I built up the first time to level 38 I thought my difficulties were resolved--but they were not at all resolved. Even being several levels above a maps monsters didn't help in the end...or it helped up to bosses driven by different game rules?

4. Why do I need a five or six linked gem slot weapon when those same gem slots can be used in other armor? Or is this yet something else I have not fully understood?

I'm not getting the understanding I need yet I'm ready to dive back into the game again--maybe toward another 140 hour gaming disaster!

Some tips for you:

I pick up blues and vendor them for xmutes, and when I have a lot I trade em for wisdoms and identify inventories full of stuff for alts and alch shards.

While leveling I buy a new weapon almost every 4 levels, throw some qual on em with blacksmith shards if I have them to spare, and xmute+alt them till I have good mods, a % phys damage and some additional phys or elemental damage on top of it.

Dont worry about rare weps much while leveling, its not worth it. For other gear, when I need an X link armor, I usually buy a 4link white piece, qual it to 20, and alch it. Or I just wear a blue with +life and whatever. Every piece of bm la ranger gear should have life on it.
There's no need for a 5/6L at the beginning. And especially not a weapon. I doesn't matter, where you put the gems in.
I used a long time some 4L Gloves and Boots for my LA and Frenzy Gem, since I found these with the right coloured, linked sockets. Later you'll want to get a 5/6L Weapon and Armor to use more supportgems and get more damage with your skills.

But getting a 5L should be enough, since 6L pretty expensive with good mods on them. Another way is to find/buy a white 5L(6S) Item and enchant it yourself using Orbs of transmutation, alteration and augmentation on it to get the desired mods. For your bow these are especially high + phys damage% and added +X phys damage. For your Armor you want high defensive and/or evasion rolls.
But rolling a weapon/armor could also get quiet expensive and often it's cheaper to buy a item which allready has the desired mods.

I bought this bow for 2 chaos orbs (it had only 2 sockets back then) and it'll give a maxdem over 300 after using whetstones on it. Before I used a long time the "death's harp" unqiue which I got for free from another player.

My biggest advise is: Don't use many jewellers or even fusing orbs on mid-level items. Especially the fusings are much to worthy to spend them on a plate or bow which you'll skip at level 50. It's much easier to buy a nice item for some fusings, then to spend them on a item which won't get really worthy even with 5L.
So I've been running this build for a the last several days. I'm at level 70, and I feel like I'm doing all right in Act 3. Most white take 2-4 hits to put down, and blues take about 4-10 (depending on mods/affixes). I feel pretty tanky and all, but my DPS seems pretty dismal, and I'm not certain what I need to gear into to change that. My tooltip DPS is 676, my Ice Shot is 788, and my unbuffed frenzy is 1200.

My gear:
Spoiler

Passives
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B5wR-BS0F-QguDjwS4RQgFHEV8BkuGY4Z_hpVGtsbARvII_Yn7SmlMgEyfjboOlI6WECgQapDMUp9TipQR1b6WhpaSFuvXhNgS2EhZKNnoGoeapNyqXTteu982YTvhxmHdpsmm42euZ_Lo4qnMKgYrKqyGbZBvea-p8APzZjPetJN037V7dlh3Q3ext-_6mLtg-4O73rv8PIv8933Mve--Ov5Y_zF_sg=

Any help will be very appreciated.
"
Psyonix wrote:
So I've been running this build for a the last several days. I'm at level 70, and I feel like I'm doing all right in Act 3. Most white take 2-4 hits to put down, and blues take about 4-10 (depending on mods/affixes). I feel pretty tanky and all, but my DPS seems pretty dismal, and I'm not certain what I need to gear into to change that. My tooltip DPS is 676, my Ice Shot is 788, and my unbuffed frenzy is 1200.

My gear:
Spoiler

Passives
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B5wR-BS0F-QguDjwS4RQgFHEV8BkuGY4Z_hpVGtsbARvII_Yn7SmlMgEyfjboOlI6WECgQapDMUp9TipQR1b6WhpaSFuvXhNgS2EhZKNnoGoeapNyqXTteu982YTvhxmHdpsmm42euZ_Lo4qnMKgYrKqyGbZBvea-p8APzZjPetJN037V7dlh3Q3ext-_6mLtg-4O73rv8PIv8933Mve--Ov5Y_zF_sg=

Any help will be very appreciated.

Well I can't say for whether or not this may be the issue but I also felt my DPS was lacking and so yesterday I tried to get a lot more attack speed on my gear. This significantly upped my dps and in comparison, my tooltip DPS is 1323, my frenzy is 2349 unbuffed, and lightning shot 1149, ice shot 1666 (I have both).

My gear:
Spoiler

You know, I think you're on to something there. I swapped out faster projectiles in favor of faster attacks, and my DPS went up significantly (on the tooltip, anyway). It grows quite a bit with each level. Then I realized my bow sucked in comparison to those I play with, but I liked the links/sockets. So I scoured it and alched it, only to make it worse. So I did that until I had no alchs and now I have a real piece of shit on my hands. It's lame, but my DPS is just around where I started before I started fucking with it. Kinda bummed because "good" bows are really fucking expensive, and now I;m just gimped. I KNEW I shouldn't have tried crafting it, but fuck, it's hard to resist when it has the sockets I need, you know?
I thinke +dex on items is rather wortless in this build.
Try to use gear with +str instead, since it boosts your phys damage nicely.

Items with +Attack Speed are also really nice, to get your damage up.
"
Phyzziks wrote:
I thinke +dex on items is rather wortless in this build.
Try to use gear with +str instead, since it boosts your phys damage nicely.

Items with +Attack Speed are also really nice, to get your damage up.

Thanks, that's kinda what I'm leaning towards right now!
"
kuromahou wrote:
Currently lvl31 and half way thru act 3, no deaths, plowing through mobs. I took blood magic at around 28 as I hate having to manage mana. Looking for a 4l to add wep ele dmg into my LA+LMP+LGoH, and then at least a 3l for frenzy+added fire+lifeleech (still need to buy those last 2, and spent my 2 chaos on a great life/%ele dmg/3 resists quiver.

Going good, Im already at 1300 life and the next 3 levels will be 12% life nodes.

I miss aura's tho, Im debating taking the aura reduction node next to BM and using anger for leveling. It would be risky but frankly once I get life leech on my frenzy, I think I could swing it. Will wait and see.

You know, this makes me want to start a build and take Blood Magic early as well. Through to the end of Act 3 I have no problems not-dying, so why not?

I think there may be some optimizing of the passive progression (20 node tree --> 40 node treee --> 60 node tree) for the build, at least on an individual basis depending on your play style. Provided you have the right resists per area it's really hard to get whacked through Normal (well, till Dominus :)).
Is it worth to try this build on HC or on Nemesis? Im kinda new... .

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info