The Easiest of the Easy Beginner Build Guides [1.1 SotV UPDATED]

"
Ratsneve wrote:
"Why ME! I've got a flat tire and I need help!" <- Geico commercial.

ZiggyD...I thought your beginner easy character was a Duelist and I was on my way starting him up again... Now it looks like the easiest of easy builds is the Ranger and I've got 13 pages to read through here. Are you still following and endorsing this thread content? It is now into November with PoE at version 1.0.1 and I'm getting foolishly anxious to start a new game--but absolutely hated reading someone's early comment/suggestion to leave us beginners alone and let us keep falling on our faces trying to figure this all out, quitting, or going insane trying!

Okay, I'm going all the way back to page one of this thread and there is only one other thread I've started on this board so far. If we can't keep this terribly difficult for me learning curve simple enough mentioning 'BM' and other abbreviations I don't understand yet will only keep me constipated. :)

Everything you'll need to know is in OP - if someone asks a question that isn't really covered in the OP then I'll usually work the answer in there.

And yeah, this build is updated for 1.0.1 - I just dont want to change the title every time a new patch comes out haha. 1.0.2 shouldnt have any changes that impact it either.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
YouTube.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
Twitter.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
PoE and Strategy Gaming Content
"
ManageGlow wrote:
"
Endurack wrote:
ZiggyD, I have been really interested in your videos for a few weeks now and I am very happy with all of them. You honestly make me want to keep playing even though I keep dying >.> (Level 50 is my curse, 3 of them all die in A3 Cruel)

Anyway, my most recent character was your higher damage LA build. I was having SERIOUS mana issues the entire time I played, and I knew once I got to blood magic it would go away, but the problem was I was level 49 and not even close to BM. So, I saw this asked a few times in previous posts, I actually scoured the entire thing, and aside from page 4 where someone uploaded a build they suggested (it didn't load correctly for me so I actually can't see what to do) there is no mention of how to level the character.

I am asking if you could PLESAE PLEASE upload a leveling progression for each build, or at least the high damage LA one? It would help me so much, I want to play this character, but when I can only fire off 5 shots before I am chuggin flasks, and then over half the time I am running around with no mana because my flasks are empty makes it really difficult.

So, perdy perdy please can you help me rush to BM?

You can skim through his survival guide videos on his youtube channel, he is playing the LA BM build for the video guides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eL6CBgQOE&feature=player_detailpage#t=585

^ The video where he is respecing skill tree, and eventually picks up BM. He opens his skill tree at around the 8:50 mark.

ManageGlow has it covered! You want to rush to BM before the end of normal - theres only 5 or so levels where the mana issues are bothersome. 49 is waaay to late, I cant imagine how painful that must be!

Ill try and put together some level progression trees for the LA variant at least.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
20th of Nov: UPDATED!

After many requests I added levelling progression trees for the Lightning Arrow variant showing when and how to get things. Hope it helps!
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
Hey, first of all, thank you for a helpful guide. I started off with this build and have since been levelling it alongside a summoner witch following rathik's guide, both characters now in Merc A2. But as I get closer to maps, I keep thinking about what endgame should look like in this build. You've mentioned several times that this build could be updated for endgame pretty easily, suggesting that the player go mana and drop RT. Would you mind giving a little more detail on how you would accomplish that and why? I assume that eventually RT turns into a substantial DPS loss with enough +acc gear available to get chance to hit close to 100%, but why drop BM? Auras? If so, would you run Grace or Hatred? And as an earlier commenter asked, would it be viable (or more viable than switching to mana, assuming you would be doing this for the purpose of running auras) with a Reduced Mana gem and Mortal Conviction to run one on BM? Moreover, assuming you went mana, would you link a BM gem to Frenzy and LA (I prefer that variant), and if not, how would you sustain the cost? Mana Leech?

Assuming that my guesses are correct (pretty big assumption), how would you modify the skill tree for endgame? I'm assuming that regardless of any fundamental changes it would be worthwhile to drop Diamond Flesh for Elemental Adaptation (+2 ele maxres, also a two point investment covered by the Diamond Flesh refund). How much crit would you go after if dropping RT? The Pressure Points cluster near the Ranger start area would be efficient, as with the two AS/Crit Chance nodes in AotE next door, and it wouldn't be too far out to pick up the Heartseeker cluster in the eastern Ranger section (the net effect of these additions being +100% crit mult and +80% crit chance w/ bows across 10 points, as well as the EV bonus per Frenzy charge and a single Dex node). Would auras be significant enough that a dip into the Sovereignty cluster in the far northwest could be worthwhile? Moreover, in your opinion, what in the current build can/should be sacrificed for a proper endgame LAer?

Sorry to ask so much; I'm just not familiar enough with the game yet to be sure what to expect in maps and how to build a character better suited for them. Anyhow, if you get around to it, I'd be interested to hear what your idea of an endgame version of this basic build would look like (or merely an endgame version of an LA Ranger in general).
Hey Ziggy. Level 72 in Nemesis here, using the LA / Frenzy. Im really loving the way this build is working so far, the only tiny-bit I dont like is the lack of phys. dmg reduction. Normally on these kinda-squishy builds I want to use Grace, but not possible with BM ofc. But Im around 27% phys. reduction, and I feel everything hit me very hard until my CwDT lvl 4 procs after the first few hits.. Anyway I can get it higher? My gear-wise armor/eva is pretty solid, could maybe look for armor/eva increasing rings/amulets, but not sure what I could do otherwise.

Im keen to your reply on PleasureMan, if its even remotely possible to drop BM so I could get some auras going. :)

And thanks again for this awesome build.
EDIT: PS. U reckon its viable running
? I love the regen and increased dmg%when low, but Im considering mby dropping these if I get my gg boots? Thou I really love them for now, farming piety.
Last edited by Dicypher on Nov 20, 2013, 2:52:10 PM
n/t
~<Ratsneve>~~<Looking for Simple Solo Solutions>~
Last edited by Ratsneve on Nov 23, 2013, 6:40:59 PM
"
PleasureMan wrote:
Hey, first of all, thank you for a helpful guide. I started off with this build and have since been levelling it alongside a summoner witch following rathik's guide, both characters now in Merc A2. But as I get closer to maps, I keep thinking about what endgame should look like in this build. You've mentioned several times that this build could be updated for endgame pretty easily, suggesting that the player go mana and drop RT. Would you mind giving a little more detail on how you would accomplish that and why? I assume that eventually RT turns into a substantial DPS loss with enough +acc gear available to get chance to hit close to 100%, but why drop BM? Auras? If so, would you run Grace or Hatred? And as an earlier commenter asked, would it be viable (or more viable than switching to mana, assuming you would be doing this for the purpose of running auras) with a Reduced Mana gem and Mortal Conviction to run one on BM? Moreover, assuming you went mana, would you link a BM gem to Frenzy and LA (I prefer that variant), and if not, how would you sustain the cost? Mana Leech?

Assuming that my guesses are correct (pretty big assumption), how would you modify the skill tree for endgame? I'm assuming that regardless of any fundamental changes it would be worthwhile to drop Diamond Flesh for Elemental Adaptation (+2 ele maxres, also a two point investment covered by the Diamond Flesh refund). How much crit would you go after if dropping RT? The Pressure Points cluster near the Ranger start area would be efficient, as with the two AS/Crit Chance nodes in AotE next door, and it wouldn't be too far out to pick up the Heartseeker cluster in the eastern Ranger section (the net effect of these additions being +100% crit mult and +80% crit chance w/ bows across 10 points, as well as the EV bonus per Frenzy charge and a single Dex node). Would auras be significant enough that a dip into the Sovereignty cluster in the far northwest could be worthwhile? Moreover, in your opinion, what in the current build can/should be sacrificed for a proper endgame LAer?

Sorry to ask so much; I'm just not familiar enough with the game yet to be sure what to expect in maps and how to build a character better suited for them. Anyhow, if you get around to it, I'd be interested to hear what your idea of an endgame version of this basic build would look like (or merely an endgame version of an LA Ranger in general).

Accuracy gear isn't worth it in a build like this - the only reason to drop RT would be if you get your hands on a Lioneye's Glare.

Even then, with the changes to bows recently a good rare bow might be better off and just keeping RT might be best.

Dropping BM is a potential option as well - it requires spending 3-5 points into mana related nodes and getting a couple pieces of mana gear. The alternative is to use the BM support gem at endgame and reserve all of your mana with 2 auras (grace and hatred probably). That's certainly a viable option!

I wouldn't ever bother speccing crit in this build as even if you get a lioneye's you need to have a lot of crit to make stacking any worth it.

The final piece of endgame modification is to simply modify the skill tree - if you are currently in maps on the character you'll probably know if you're happy to drop some life for more damage etc.

Rerolling another character is also an option for endgame optimization! Remember that this character is intended to be a crutch for newer players to lean on until they learn the game - it's end game viable but not as exciting or high potential as other builds out there.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
"
Dicypher wrote:
Hey Ziggy. Level 72 in Nemesis here, using the LA / Frenzy. Im really loving the way this build is working so far, the only tiny-bit I dont like is the lack of phys. dmg reduction. Normally on these kinda-squishy builds I want to use Grace, but not possible with BM ofc. But Im around 27% phys. reduction, and I feel everything hit me very hard until my CwDT lvl 4 procs after the first few hits.. Anyway I can get it higher? My gear-wise armor/eva is pretty solid, could maybe look for armor/eva increasing rings/amulets, but not sure what I could do otherwise.

Im keen to your reply on PleasureMan, if its even remotely possible to drop BM so I could get some auras going. :)

And thanks again for this awesome build.
EDIT: PS. U reckon its viable running
? I love the regen and increased dmg%when low, but Im considering mby dropping these if I get my gg boots? Thou I really love them for now, farming piety.

Happy to hear it's working well for you!

The best way is to pop your jade/granite flask when you first engage a threatening phys pack and then by the time it wears off they are either dead or you have molten shell and endurance charges up!

Alternatively/additionally you can run another enduring cry on manual cast but that is somewhat tedious imo.

And yeah those boots are definitely viable and quite fun! They get even better if you start running blood rage, which this build can do at endgame ;)
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
Last edited by ZiggyD on Nov 20, 2013, 10:21:41 PM
"
Ratsneve wrote:
Thanks ZiggyD. I'm part way through Act 1 again following your guide. I've noticed some interesting things.

1. I like to 'stop and smell the coffee' covering every corner and killing every creature in a map before moving on or returning to town--you on the other hand are done with a map in 5 minutes. :)

2. I pick everything up and stop and take a look at the stuff when the inventory gets full. There I tend to drop everything not suited to my character as far as armor and weapons are concerned and keep and/or use stuff to modify or identify or keep for something later on or keep for the stash in town--you do the same but in a fraction of the time since you quickly skip over so much you don't need.

You are a wonder going at like a 78 rpm record while I'm like the 33 and 1/3 rpm record. :)

I'm at level 6 following your walkthrough and currently waiting to see what items you pick up in town. Fun and success will be measured on getting past Merveil and how much strategy I get tied up doing in Act 2 and 3 Normal.

3. In your walkthrough will you be trying to reach Blood Magic ASAP? We'll see.

Thanks.

hehe I enjoyed this comment :)

1. everyone should play the game the way they most enjoy it! I like really pushing the pace msyelf!

2. this is how you should manage gear until you learn what everything does. You'll eventually be able to ID potentially good items without picking them up but you have to start slow.

3. I love rushing BM, you'll see how I go about getting it before dominus in act 3

enjoy the rest of the series!
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
Is there any way to tweak this build to give it the high potential that other builds have in end game, or is its simplicity its downfall in that category?

I know Blood Magicked LA builds pre-release were extremely strong, but LA got nerfed.
"Im just Path of Exile-ing my way through college." -Me
Last edited by LensHunter on Nov 21, 2013, 7:45:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info