Real Money Auction House RMAH for poe

Didn't read everything that has been said because well... it's 12+ pages and no thanks lol. My point is that Real Cash Auction House or not you're not going to lose even a single farmer and in fact you will probably inherit more. Instead of having to set up a "trust-worthy" website and wait for people to come to it and agree to send you money, You will only have to do the farming the Auction house has just become your website....

What I'm saying is Real Money Auction House means more farmers making more money off of more players...
Last edited by D2IsGettingOld on Apr 28, 2012, 1:50:02 AM
"
aaricia wrote:
"
zeto wrote:
The thing is, the RMAH is a statistical enabler. Because the access is now a trusted party and fully integrated, the percentage of users will go up. Theoretically demand will go up, and farming activities will go up.

That is the ONLY thing the RMAH does.

Conversely, the lack of a RMAH is a statistical disabler... it will reduce the amount of people using a RM trade system, because it's not integrated and there is a trust issue. Theoretically, demand will be lower, and farming activities will be lower.

For the company, it's all about the money gained... it does nothing else for the company. They absolutely do not care if it's safer or whatever... that is simply lip-service to foster usage.

I agree on your concept of "statistical enabler" in as far as an AH main purpose is to enable/promote trading activities (ie it is much simpler and efficient to buy/sell via auctions than spamming a trade channel)

What I dont agree is the assumption that "farming" activities are somehow bad or outside of normal play. When you reach the high levels, the main PVE activity in this game is actually clearing areas for the purpose of loot. That is pretty much what I call "farming" but it is what everybody do as part of the normal game once they reach a high enough level. That is what everybody do
in Chaos.

So yes an AH enables more efficient trading activities and will increase the level of trading which is basically what you want an AH to do. With efficient and rewarding trades happening, people will increase their PVE activities in chaos or other future high level areas which is basically more playing of the game.

Companies actually should care about efficient and "safe" (ie free of scam) trading because one of the main element of the game is loot and trading of loot. If that process is efficient, more people will be playing the game and they will play it longer before switching to another game. Looking for that new better loot or some loot that you can trade (now made easy with an AH) for that new better loot is what makes people come back to the game after going through the content multiple times.

If you were commenting about my appraisal, I will note that I didn't say that farming was bad... If you were just speaking generally then nevermind.

Your third paragraph assumes that higher trading is built on top of what is already there, when neither of us is probably sure that introducing a RMAH would increase revenue more than the change in revenue due to its addition.

There are three possibilities:

1. RMAH makes money, paying playerbase increases. $$$$
2. RMAH makes money, paying playerbase decreases less than RMAH makes. $$
3. RMAH makes money, paying playerbase decreases more than RMAH makes. -$$

So yeah, some significant research would have to be done on that before any company was willing to do this... as it could actually kill a small game studio like this if it was received poorly.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
GGG will make more money keeping the pure f2p format because there will be no shortage of players enjoying the game and wanting to support it. That is a smart move. Path of Exile is way superior to D3 for example for an indie game. And yeah i dont really like D3 from playing its beta. May the D3 fanboi butthurt frenzy begin...now.
RMAH = No way!!!!!

AH = Ingame only using in game coin yes please.

After all GGG has already said that this game will be completely FREE TO PLAY.
Last edited by Grindok on Apr 28, 2012, 3:47:12 PM
I don't like RMAH but people will most likely sell items on 3rd party websites anyway. Might aswell do it in game and have some of that money going to the devs so they can continue to create content for the game.
Ahh, the simplicity of single player games is looking more and more appealing.
Rmah doesn't hurt anyone. Time is money; therefore, whether a player chooses to farm in game or 8 hours or work an 8 hour shift. Ur still putting in the time.

Also, small % going to ggg is a good way to increase profit. It's 2012 for gods sake.....pretending "rmah's ruin games" is a good way to lose in the long run.
No, absolutely no. Let pay-2-win stay in Diablo 3, it doesn't belong here.
"
zeto wrote:

If you were commenting about my appraisal, I will note that I didn't say that farming was bad... If you were just speaking generally then nevermind.

Your third paragraph assumes that higher trading is built on top of what is already there, when neither of us is probably sure that introducing a RMAH would increase revenue more than the change in revenue due to its addition.

There are three possibilities:

1. RMAH makes money, paying playerbase increases. $$$$
2. RMAH makes money, paying playerbase decreases less than RMAH makes. $$
3. RMAH makes money, paying playerbase decreases more than RMAH makes. -$$

So yeah, some significant research would have to be done on that before any company was willing to do this... as it could actually kill a small game studio like this if it was received poorly.

No just speaking generally as there is that implicit bias that "farming" is bad in other games/forums as well. But like I said, farming is often what you do in your normal playing activities at endgame. Now the trick is to make farming interesting and rewarding, both in the actual game-playing and the by-product of it afterwards (ie trading), to keep players coming back again and again.

As for research, sometimes it is smart for small companies to let the bigger competitor take the risk of trying to introduce to market these new ideas or "products", take lessons from that and integrate/develop into their own product afterwards. You have D3 coming out with an RMAH soon. I will bet that every one of the new AARPG (POE, Grim Dawn, Torchlight and others) will be looking at the results closely to see how it develops both pros and cons. And if there are enough pros that it ultimately attracts and retains more player base while driving the 3rd party vendors and bots away or at least into the background noise of all the RMAH natural trading activities, this question will confront them all in the future as part of natural competition/evolution within the AARPG market.

And related to this point, I think it is very short term thinking by some players to drive the mentality of us vs them between D3 and indy-developed AARPG because all of these games represent the same genre and share the same market pie. If D3 succeeds in what it is ultimately trying to do which is to grow this shared AARPG pie and bring it back into vogue again. It will benefit everyone in it including the indy developers. A share (even small) of a growing pie is always a good thing. And if the pie is growing enough it will attract more developers into it as well and it could be a new renaissance of sort for the AARPG genre.
"
sempuken wrote:
Rmah doesn't hurt anyone. Time is money; therefore, whether a player chooses to farm in game or 8 hours or work an 8 hour shift. Ur still putting in the time.

Not exactly true. My 1 hour could be worth your 100 hours. Is that fair in the context of a GAME you are trying to play?

People don't really want their real lives to follow them into a game they are playing.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info