Floating combat text

"
BrecMadak wrote:
And secondly, always prefer GGG spending their precious time for much more valuable thing over this MMO crap, anytime.
Do you actually expect people to take you seriously when you're using a game genre as some kind of completely irrational insult? Damage numbers have nothing to do with MMOs, and even if they did, a feature being in an MMO is not an argument against it.

Re the game's "image": the image presented by the game having options for things like this (ie. not core gameplay elements) is that it's a game that's respectful to its players' preferences. That's a good thing.
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on May 2, 2012, 3:28:11 AM
"
BrianWeissman wrote:
Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!

Thank you Brian ! That is a great thing that will make us all happy :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
"
BrianWeissman wrote:
Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!

It would be perfect if we had a a FCT menu in the options where we could select checkboxes to enable/disable certain events in the FCT. For example, I like neither of the options you listed, I don't care much about the criticals and damage numbers, but would like to see blocks, misses and evades. The menu could look like this:

Floating Combat Text:

[] Show damage taken
[] Show damage received
[x] Show blocks
[x] Show evades
[x] Show misses
[] Show damage healed
[] Show status effects
[] etc.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on May 2, 2012, 12:43:16 PM
"
dust7 wrote:

It would be perfect if we had a a FCT menu in the options where we could select checkboxes to enable/disable certain events in the FCT. For example, I like neither of the options you listed, I don't care much about the criticals and damage numbers, but would like to see blocks, misses and evades. The menu could look like this:

Floating Combat Text:

[] Show damage taken
[] Show damage received
[x] Show blocks
[x] Show evades
[x] Show misses
[] Show damage healed
[] Show status effects
[] etc.

Nice idea but because I dont want to see flying numbers left & right in my screen I want this option in logs form in chat window.
"
rpgmaniac wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

Floating Combat Text:

[] Show damage taken
[] Show damage received
[x] Show blocks
[x] Show evades
[x] Show misses
[] Show damage healed
[] Show status effects
[] etc.

Nice idea but because I dont want to see flying numbers left & right in my screen I want this option in logs form in chat window.

Just don't check any of the boxes! A chat log for damage is actually the MMO standard, not the ARPG standard.

...You're an idiot. No one on this board has made me want to use those three words quite as consistently as you, and the worst thing is you're not a D3 troll. It's the last time I'll be this direct, but I had to get it out of my system. I'm sorry.

Besides, Brian Hath Spoken. FCT with off, crits, all is likely, if any such option is going to happen at all.

Seriously, guys?

/thread
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on May 2, 2012, 6:39:07 PM
"
"
rpgmaniac wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

Floating Combat Text:

[] Show damage taken
[] Show damage received
[x] Show blocks
[x] Show evades
[x] Show misses
[] Show damage healed
[] Show status effects
[] etc.

Just don't check any of the boxes! A chat log for damage is actually the MMO standard, not the ARPG standard.

...You're an idiot. No one on this board has made me want to use those three words quite as consistently as you, and the worst thing is you're not a D3 troll. It's the last time I'll be this direct, but I had to get it out of my system. I'm sorry.

Besides, Brian Hath Spoken. FCT with off, crits, all is likely, if any such option is going to happen at all.

Seriously, guys?

/thread

hmmm... thx for that.

btw did u ever think what ppl like me can do to check their dmg w/o enable some option for floating text because simple they dont like it for various reasons because it looks dumb because it distract them because makes the game looks like a cheap asian MMORPG etc..

So although I say I dont like FCT in a game like PoE and I would prefer if they never implement something like that, I want an alternative way for me and other ppl like me to check our dmg that means dmg logs on chat window, I am sure devs can do both so every1's happy, better now?
Every another option is a good idea. Isn't this the main reason why PoE is so great game ? ... having the chance to get every single spell/skill... active or passive regardless of the class you are playing ? ... having the chance to equip any armor/weapon ? ... Everyone choose his own path... This whole yes/no arguement about AN ADDITIONAL OPTION in the game is rediculous.

The main group of people UP for this option are people who want to squeeze the game to its MAX limits... to test... to see Actual numbers... To improve their character until they rich the limits (if there are some) ... To know more about the game... the type of damage, the armor, the crits they land on a certain mob. Thats the main reason. This has nothing to do with graphics... and floating texts around (nor it has anything to do with D3 or some MMORPGS). These are actually the people reading the game mechanics section on this forums interested in every single skill that they invest points IN. Of course they will want to test it and SEE what ACTUALLY it does... not only the cool graphics that these stats/skills represent. These are the same people who will reach higher levels in this game, because they know the game well, by asking, by testing... People who play for the blood graphics only and are not interested how much they defend/reduce/damage won't go far... and just keep leaving comments how the game is too hard for them. This is not a walk-in-the-park game... so I think an option like this will definately be helpful... to see where (if) we are going wrong with our builds... Maybe even notice something wrong with the game mechanics and report it.... or just to comapare screens with crits scored :P
"
mOr5 wrote:
No! Please, don't!
That's too much of an MMOG-/Epic-RPG (a la BG) thing to include into PoE. Plus: needless chaos on screen should be avoided, as in some circumstances, there WILL be chaos anyway and one should not overdo it.

Yes, because having the option to turn it on or off is just a ridiculous idea right?
hi ezra
It's a feature that GGG will have to add simply because every single one of their competition is doing it. Grim Dawn, D3, and T2 all have it, and by not including it, PoE would be playing right into the hands of the people who insist that the game hasn't moved on at all since D2.

I just leave this here.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info