[3.15✔️] SMART SOULWREST with VOLATILE DEAD ✦ league starter ✦ beginner friendly + [VIDEO GUIDE]

"
I have been playing Soulwrest builds ever since initial release of the unique item back in the 3.4 Delve league.

It is personal favourite of mine and I try new options each time around. It is great unique after all. Soulwrest allows you to use Phantasm minions as your main damage source.

And to be fair Soulwrest can be somewhat challenging to overcome especially when it comes to the corpse generation and consumption in the high tier content. Phantasms are rather squishy. Boss encounters can be really clunky and sometimes even straight up unplayable. That's why a lot of people abandon this unique item early and do not play it often.

However it is possible to create a better build. Build that do not use traditional manual offering triggers and do not use some Bubonic Trail and Devouring Diadem shenanigans.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Here is fully voiced video guide:

✦ YOUTUBE VIDEO GUIDE 3.15 ✦
✦ old pre 3.15 video ✦

__________________________________________________________________________________

PATCH NOTES:

Dropping an update, text version would have to wait for another day.
- Complete redo of a guide, including video version.
- Build is now more mobile and even more automated.

Spoiler
Slight buffs for general minion DPS scaling with abyss jewels
- With current state of leagues and endgame, Blessed Rebirth from medium cluster jewels becoming real necessary thing to enjoy minion gameplay in any shape way or form.
- Now build is using Fortress Covenant trick with cluster jewel.
- To account for Raize Spectre 3.13 nerfs build grab couple minion life nodes, consider getting minion life on abyss jewels!
- Dumped Thread of Hope, not a necessary thing.
- Build now use Replica Reckless Defense which is nice and cheap way to get last 4-5 % of Spell Block Chance.

Spoiler
3.13 Have minor tree optimization. Pretty much everything stays the same +10% DPS nerf from 3.13 Necro Changes.

Spoiler
There is number of changes.

Now for dual curse you need to anoint Whispers of Doom witch have been moved to the other side of the tree. Since Projectile weakness curse basically deleted from the game we rely on Conductivity and Ele. Weakness to have a lot of extra shock.

Now ele damage split is more equal than before.
(before: 50/50 conversion + Hatred bonus; now: 75/25 lightning/cold conversion + Hatred)
Phantasms hit enemies for 49% lightning and 51% cold DPS with my current gear.

Glancing Blows and Bone Offering nerfs are irrelevant and it is still very good build enabling utility/defense layer. You can have higher level of Bone Offering since now you receive more damage through Glancing blows for your CWDT + Bone Offering.

Overall build still can easily push over 5 million of SIRIUS DPS on a leaguestarter budget and have all the tank.

See the last section in the post for alternative gems roster on this build.

PoB Pastebin:
3.15 PoB: https://pastebin.com/hvEnzrMJ
You need latest community fork of PoB to use current tree.

Beginner friendly? Budget, League start, SSF? Map Mods?

Spoiler

- This build is beginner friendly.
- You can league start easily.
- No 6 links. You just manually craft sockets on Soulwrest / Victario's Influence while you progress into yellow-red maps.
- Rely on 3 unique items, Soulwrest is hard to loot, other uniques are garbage common drops.

- No Cluster Jewels in the base build.
- No Timeless Jewels in the base build.
- No expensive Enchantments in the base build.
- No expensive crafting in the base build.
- No influenced rares to boost damage, can benefit from influenced rares in defense department.

- You can Min Max and alter build well after you killed Sirius.
Could not do: ele reflect and no regen maps.

STARTER PACKAGE GEAR:
Nothing fancy so you can easily league start/replicate and then min-max to your own preference:

Spoiler

Worthy of note:

1. I am always crafting sockets on my Soulwrest and Victario's through bench craft with socket number alteration until I hit colors that I need. Can cost you 1-2k Jewels orbs if you are very unlucky. However it is cheaper, than typical dual 6-linked or pseudo 8-link minion helmets setups on a lot of minion builds these days.

2. You do not need to link Soulwrest support gems to support Phantasms. Level 21 Summon Phantasms Support would increase number of Phantasms from 10 on Soulwrest to 21.

See youtube video guide for detailed explanation with Passive tree and Jewels.

GMP swap for Sirius/Uber Elder/Guardians/Conquerors:

Offence algorithm:

Spoiler

1. Use existing corpses / precast Unearth supported by Greater Multiple Projectiles.

2. Use Volatile Dead to generate Phantasms from Soulwrest.

3a. Phantasms Kill everything, if not 3b.

3b. Homing Volatile Dead orbs debuff enemies with Elemental Equilibrium, Projectile Weakness and Elemental Weakness.

4a. Phantasms Kill everything, if not 4b.

4b. Use Convocation and Deathmark to boost damage and get better positioning.

5. Phantasms Kill everything.

Defenses:

Spoiler
1. A lot of life. Hitting 7k+ HP is easy even with bench crafted life rolls.

2. Max ele resists are easy. Getting some chaos resistance easy as well.

3. 90% Phys damage reduction is hard and would cost you some investment.

4. Max Attack Block + Spell Block with active Bone Offering, as well as heal on block from it.

Utility:

Spoiler
1. Movement with Dash or Flame Dash (depends on last socket colour in body armor).

2. CwDT setup on max lvl to proc Desecrate + Bone Offering and regain your Phantasms automaticity if things are going south.

3. Raise Spectres with Power and Frenzy Charges (Stygian Silverback + Host Chieftain) that are using Feeding Frenzy and Elemental Army buffs.

Leveling:

Spoiler
1. I prefer to level with Skeletons.

2. Switch to Soulwrest when you enter maps.

3. Passive tree is the same for leveling as for final build. Skip jewel sockets and bottom life nodes until you reach yellow-red maps with 80+lvl.

3.12. Upgrades (Alternative Quality gems):

Spoiler

Volatile Dead
20% increased Orb Movement Speed

While default one is great. But build actually capped exactly in the movement speed domain due to speed of VD balls and them lagging behind often. Great upgrade.

Convocation
Unnerve nearby Enemies for 4.0 seconds
40% reduced Cooldown Recovery Rate

Great addition if you can live with 40% longer cooldown. Unnerve is 10% spell damage buff in nearby area (Phantasms deal base physical SPELL damage).

Hypothermia Support
Supported Skills have +20% chance to Freeze Enemies which are Chilled

Straight up upgrade for corpse removal since we already have chill aura from Skitterbots. Does force you into more self corpse generation for your VD and Phantasms.

Bone Offering
40% less Skill Effect Duration
Minions recover 100 Life when they Block

If you are still scared of burst one shots it is great. Effectively extra 50 life on block. You lose some minion DPS for survivability.

Predator Support
Minions from Supported Skills have 30% increased Critical Strike Chance against the Prey
Minions from Supported Skills have +15% to Critical Strike Multiplier against the Prey

Straight up upgrade for single target DPS. Less clear DPS.

Conductivity
Hits against Cursed Enemies have +20% chance to Shock

Straight up upgrade for shock and DPS ramp.

Last edited by Atataforthewin on Aug 13, 2021, 12:33:13 PM
Last bumped on Jan 28, 2022, 12:57:13 PM

My stuff:

Here on the forum:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3024717

YOUTUBE video guides:

https://www.youtube.com/foxyshanks

Last edited by Atataforthewin on Aug 13, 2021, 12:32:08 PM
So I have experimented with double Soulwrest on the weapon swap. While single target / clear swap is rather standard, there are some extra options. There is interesting gimmick that allows you to use Vaal Summon Skeletons as your bossing setup on second Soulwrest. You need just to be sure that support support both Phantasms and Skeletons.

Amount of skeletons just overwhelm NPC AI and you get the job done with 100% Phantasm uptime. Good alternative to those who suffer and lose minions, and definitely better option to Blessed Rebirth that technically do nothing in long encounters.

YOUTUBE... "showcase" do not judge my boredom xD
Last edited by Atataforthewin on Sep 17, 2020, 12:02:25 PM
UPDATED 3.12 PoB: https://pastebin.com/djFTf90M

There is number of changes.

Now for dual curse you need to anoint Whispers of Doom witch have been moved to the other side of the tree. Since Projectile weakness curse basically deleted from the game we rely on Conductivity and Ele. Weakness to have a lot of extra shock.

Now damage split is more equal than before with 50/50 conversion + Hatred bonus. With 75/25 lightning/cold conversion + Hatred Phantasms hit for 49% lightning and 51% cold DPS.

Glancing Blows and Bone Offering nerfs are irrelevant and it is still very good build enabling utility/defense layer. You can have higher level of Bone Offering since now you receive more damage through Glancing blows for your CWDT + Bone Offering.

Overall build still can easily push over 5 million of SIRIUS DPS on a budget and have all the tank.
Last edited by Atataforthewin on Sep 17, 2020, 10:28:30 AM
I like this build, it looks both simple and smart. Will try it sometimes, thanks for sharing !
Hi, I'm very interested in this build, just one thing - you said to level with skeletons, do you have a quick guide on how to do that? I have never leveled as witch before. Thanks! I'm super excited to try this :D
Did not done any leveling guides yet. x(

However skeletons is pretty much one of the best and cheap ways to level up the witch for ANY minion build since transition would have minimal costs.

While Tabula 6 link with some mana rings is great it is obviously is not for league start. Just set up 4-5 link ASAP with Summon Skeletons, Minion Damage, Melee Physical Damage and any other melee support of your personal choice, like Brutality, Multistrike, Melee Splash, Maim, etc.

Also getting Feeding Frenzy on the utility golem for leveling is huge DPS boost for your skeletons without consuming gem slot on their link setup.

This build guide need some live refining after launch for new curses/hexes. While Ele. Weak + Conductivity would 100% work, I feel like new Punishment could be pretty OP and powerhouse that you set up in your ring and can transition at any time and keep Ele Weakness in the gloves.

Also new unique boots CORPSEWALKER sound really promising and you can potentially save up maybe up to 2 gem slots by Replacing Unearth + GMP with Desecrate and leaving your Bone Offering corpse generation to the new boots. (need testing tho)

Last edited by Atataforthewin on Sep 18, 2020, 10:04:23 AM
Thank you! Good luck on league start :D
Thank you. Going this time with not a minion build as league starter. New skills are tempting as well as yet another minion build, but I am just to exited to test Chains of Emancipation with Chain Hook build this time around xD.

Good league start for everybody!
Pastbin does not work

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info