So I'm here thanks to the Diablo 3 beta....

Yes I get the whole slow build up and a rise to glory. That's easy enough to get. But when you have a game where you are fundamentally basing it off someone having to restart from the beginning semi regularly. (New build and you are too far along to try a new build otherwise.)

Making the starting few hours of the game exciting should be a fairly high priority. It does start to become exciting and more fun as you go through the game, but it starts off seeming quite lack luster, and that's a problem when you want people to replay brand new characters of the same class from the start when they mess up their build.

If the game isn't going to be made less punishing for messing up your build or trying a new build, the least that can be done is make going from the start of the game again more exciting.
I implicitly agreed with that. :)

On the other hand, starting over X times will get boring regardless of how exciting you make that start. The key to PoE is to research your build first; the website provides all the tools for that. Some of us realised this, most of us probably didn't.

I'd also say things changed once you could get into the closed beta immediately. For those of us who had to wait to get a key, that time was often spent doing that research, anticipating the arrival of that message that delivered the golden ticket into Wilson Wonka's chocolate factory...

But now that you can get straight in, there isn't that same waiting period in which to think about what you'll do once you get inside. Thus people are entering the chocolate factory haphazardly and are obviously lost for choices.

...I dunno. I tend to do my research before undertaking anything. Travelling, trying new things, getting into a new hobby...playing a new game. It makes no sense to just hop on a plane to a strange new country without at least knowing something about the destination -- for me, a game like PoE is no different.

...But I'm older than some gamers and have actually travelled to strange new countries. I've experienced first-hand the perils of not doing your research first.

Not all gamers have, I suppose.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"

On the other hand, starting over X times will get boring regardless of how exciting you make that start. The key to PoE is to research your build first; the website provides all the tools for that. Some of us realised this, most of us probably didn't.

I'd also say things changed once you could get into the closed beta immediately. For those of us who had to wait to get a key, that time was often spent doing that research, anticipating the arrival of that message that delivered the golden ticket into Wilson Wonka's chocolate factory...

But now that you can get straight in, there isn't that same waiting period in which to think about what you'll do once you get inside. Thus people are entering the chocolate factory haphazardly and are obviously lost for choices.

...I dunno. I tend to do my research before undertaking anything. Travelling, trying new things, getting into a new hobby...playing a new game. It makes no sense to just hop on a plane to a strange new country without at least knowing something about the destination -- for me, a game like PoE is no different.

...But I'm older than some gamers and have actually travelled to strange new countries. I've experienced first-hand the perils of not doing your research first.

I bought Silver with little hesitation and research after a few Youtube video's and a mild distaste of play style of D3.

Later I had *cough* bought the year sub to wow... don't ask... don't tell I don't even play the game at all, but that lead to a beta invite promply after to D3, which promply 2-3 hours after I wrote to GGG demanding to be upgraded to gold...

And...

Now I'm here.
Oh I know you were agreeing, and I'm not saying I don't know how to make a build.

Assuming you wanted to try out the six classes though, six, for all intents and purposes unique builds compared to the others, That's six times through the start to the... relatively speaking, end.

I assume that with the way the skill forest works, that there is at least 3 really interesting builds that a player will want to try for each of the unique starting points in that forest.

Not all players may be like this, but I wouldn't exactly say that this estimate isn't too far off, unless of course, there is really only a very small number of builds really viable per class starting point IE 2 or less.

But if there are in fact 3 very nice builds per class that one may want to try. Working on making the all around game exciting the whole way through, or at least, not so time consuming to get through the very opening acts, maybe at some point in the game you can start a class at level 20 as opposed to level 1 to avoid the redundancy of going all the way through from level 1 again.

Just some thoughts.
"
Neokolzia wrote:
"

I bought Silver with little hesitation and research after a few Youtube video's and a mild distaste of play style of D3.

Later I had *cough* bought the year sub to wow... don't ask... don't tell I don't even play the game at all, but that lead to a beta invite promply after to D3, which promply 2-3 hours after I wrote to GGG demanding to be upgraded to gold...

And...

Now I'm here.

Demanding to be upgraded to gold. LOL. You kill me.

I've all but demanded to be downgraded to it.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"
Ultreos wrote:
Oh I know you were agreeing, and I'm not saying I don't know how to make a build.

Assuming you wanted to try out the six classes though, six, for all intents and purposes unique builds compared to the others, That's six times through the start to the... relatively speaking, end.

I assume that with the way the skill forest works, that there is at least 3 really interesting builds that a player will want to try for each of the unique starting points in that forest.

Not all players may be like this, but I wouldn't exactly say that this estimate isn't too far off, unless of course, there is really only a very small number of builds really viable per class starting point IE 2 or less.

But if there are in fact 3 very nice builds per class that one may want to try. Working on making the all around game exciting the whole way through, or at least, not so time consuming to get through the very opening acts, maybe at some point in the game you can start a class at level 20 as opposed to level 1 to avoid the redundancy of going all the way through from level 1 again.

Just some thoughts.

And they're good thoughts indeed. You're bang on with your character count in my eyes. I have 18 chars as my planned total post-Sixth release. And starting at a higher level may be something they could offer in the cash shop. It doesn't really confer in-game advantage -- doing so without the items to twink to said character would actually be a massive detriment. Just say, 'click here to purchase a blank level 30 character starting in cruel' with 30 passive skill slots to fill. Given that stat gain is static per level and class, I don't see how this couldn't work. You'd be missing out on tangible quest rewards, I suppose, but they're mostly gems and anyone wanting to start at 30 blank probably has gems to spare. As for the other quest rewards, the only one I can think of that involves real choice is the bandits...and that could be an option too.

The level is, of course, arbitrary. Once act 3 is out, it might need to be higher.

This is just another of my crazy off-the-top-of-my-head ideas and possibly about as viable as dual-wielding crossbows. Feedback welcome! :)

"

Do you truly believe this is a good idea?

I think this is one of these things where blizzard is completely right.. It shouldn't not be necessary to research so much about game, builds, skills to make some reasonable choices in the game. Everything should be either very intuitive or at least forgiving at the beginning ... PoE is neither right now..hopefully it will change.. hopefully.
"
ManiaCCC wrote:

I think this is one of these things where blizzard is completely right.. It shouldn't not be necessary to research so much about game, builds, skills to make some reasonable choices in the game. Everything should be either very intuitive or at least forgiving at the beginning ... PoE is neither right now..hopefully it will change.. hopefully.

In this case, all GGG has to do to change this would be to make full respec items.
Back in black
I hit the sack
I've been too long I'm glad to be back
"
ManiaCCC wrote:
"

GGG should also make the monsters attack each other to save you time.
"
xxnoob wrote:
"
ManiaCCC wrote:
"

GGG should also make the monsters attack each other to save you time.

You could also stop posting drivel like this and save us time.
“God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I will never die.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info