So I'm here thanks to the Diablo 3 beta....

"
thepmrc wrote:
"
digibucc wrote:
"
thepmrc wrote:
Obviously they don't really care about the actual Diablo fan base

i would disagree, that's not obvious at all.

Ok it may not be obvious. Just as it is not obvious that Walmart does not actually care about its patrons but rather the money in their wallet. They try to disguise this with their friendly greeters, doesn't change the fact they are in business to take your money.

You guys are spinning this totally wrong. Bottom line is Blizzard is a big company that doesn't care one bit about YOU. They care about their bottom line, end of story.

So? Marvel and Robert Downey Jr. don't give a crap about me either. Doesn't mean I didn't like the Iron Man movies, or that I'm not eagerly awaiting my chance to go see Avengers.

You don't have to give a crap about the consumer to make a good product. Even if they don't care about the product, the artistic hoopla of making something good, and so on, caring about the bottom line is caring about making a product that won't get universally panned so that no one buys it.

I don't have any illusions that Walmart, Blizard, or Marvel like me. They use me for money, and I use them for entertainment.
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!
"
Tagek wrote:
I don't disagree that their primary goal is to make money.
That is the primary goal of any business / job.

That said, it is still ignorant by you to claim that they don't care about their fanbase because, again, you are not a mindreader. You claiming they don't care about their fanbase is just as valid as me claiming that you are a homosexual dinosaur from outerspace.

The 'Diablo Fanbase' is a very small portion of the overall market. What I was getting at is that they are trying to appeal to the overall market rather than the 'Diablo Fanbase' alone. Maybe my rhetoric was a bit harsh, but this is the truth. If alienating the Diablo Fanbase will bring them more overall revenue they are going to do it.

And by the way I am am actually a Hermaphroditic Cephalopod from the 4th dimension.

"
So? Marvel and Robert Downey Jr. don't give a crap about me either. Doesn't mean I didn't like the Iron Man movies, or that I'm not eagerly awaiting my chance to go see Avengers.

You don't have to give a crap about the consumer to make a good product. Even if they don't care about the product, the artistic hoopla of making something good, and so on, caring about the bottom line is caring about making a product that won't get universally panned so that no one buys it.

I don't have any illusions that Walmart, Blizard, or Marvel like me. They use me for money, and I use them for entertainment.

Thank you! This is all is exactly what I was trying to say.
Last edited by thepmrc on May 4, 2012, 1:52:33 PM
Yes, because 20 million sales is nothing.
Unless of course you are expecting diablo 3 to sell two billion copies. Then it actually would be 'nothing'.

Also, what dave said applies to any entertainment company.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on May 4, 2012, 1:55:12 PM
"
xxnoob wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

And about always online, who gives a damn?
Isn't it abit hypocritical to sit on the PoE forum and complain that you need to be online to play D3?

You should care and no, it's no hypocritical.

Why? I always have connection to the interent anyways.
It will help stop duping by giving blizzard more control over the game, among other things.
What is not to like?

Oh, it is hypocritical. How can 'always online' be such a bad thing for D3, but not be a problem for PoE?
"
Sickness wrote:
"
xxnoob wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

And about always online, who gives a damn?
Isn't it abit hypocritical to sit on the PoE forum and complain that you need to be online to play D3?

You should care and no, it's no hypocritical.

Why? I always have connection to the interent anyways.
It will help stop duping by giving blizzard more control over the game, among other things.
What is not to like?

Oh, it is hypocritical. How can 'always online' be such a bad thing for D3, but not be a problem for PoE?

Because PoE is free.
"
xxnoob wrote:

Because PoE is free.

So what? The downsides of 'always online' are just the same.
Last edited by Sickness on May 4, 2012, 1:58:51 PM
"
Tagek wrote:
Unless of course you are expecting diablo 3 to sell two billion copies. Then it actually would be 'nothing'.

Hmm, 20 million? Maybe if you add all sales for all 3 games over the past 16 years you might reach that number. However, the majority of those would not be unique purchases.

3. Diablo II (4 million)
4. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [expansion pack] (1 million; 2 million shipped)
7. Diablo (2.5 million)
Last edited by thepmrc on May 4, 2012, 2:03:33 PM
"
Sickness wrote:
"
xxnoob wrote:

Because PoE is free.

They do not hold as much weight. Are you retarded? Honest question.
"
thepmrc wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

Hmm, 20 million?

3. Diablo II (4 million)
4. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [expansion pack] (1 million; 2 million shipped)
7. Diablo (2.5 million)

'Diablo is an action role-playing game franchise owned and produced by Blizzard Entertainment. As of 28 June 2008, the series has sold over 18.5 million copies worldwide'

And that is from 2008. I think it's safe to say it's sold at least 1,5 million more over the course of 4 years.

I believe what you have there are launch numbers.
At least, I think diablo 2 was at 4 mil a few months after it's release (give or take).

EDIT: Here's the exact quote: 'As of August 29, 2001, Diablo II has sold 4 million copies worldwide.' A little later than what I said I believe, but my point still stands.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on May 4, 2012, 2:08:59 PM
"
xxnoob wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:
"
xxnoob wrote:

Because PoE is free.

They do not hold as much weight.

Is this a political issue for you?

What are the actual negative effects of D3s 'always online' requirement?
Last edited by Sickness on May 4, 2012, 2:14:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info