GGPK Defragmenter

In a large portion of cases, you're doing "1 IOP" regardless and the size of data is semi irrelevant. What matters in the case you're suggesting is when the "read" operation from disk has to make multiple passes to read in more bytes where it COULD be improved by only reading in 1 if it were compressed.

This compression really only helps with defragmented GGPK files on non-SSD drives. If you have an SSD drive, then the read speed is negligible in relation to the decompression operation... and if the file is fragmented (which they usually are after a couple of patches) then it is performing the exact same number of read operations regardless of the size of the read (for the most part). The reads are usually buffered and chunked anyway.

You're basically moving the bottleneck from one component to possibly the other, but not necessarily. You'll still have a HDD bottleneck to read even the compressed data, but you're ADDING a bottleneck on the CPU to decompress the data and re-store it in RAM.

Currently, when they read in the file, it just goes straight from disk into RAM. No conversions for the most part... no decompression. When you add operations on top of the data, the system first fetches the data into RAM, then does the operation on the data before storing it back to RAM again. Yes, it is a RAM to RAM operation, but you're essentially doubling the amount of RAM used for each object as it is needed.

There are a lot of things that you can point out in how compression might help with things, but there are also a lot of things that can be pointed out in how compression would likely make things worse.
This thing still current/usable?

And would it even be worth running if PoE is on an SSD?
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
This thing still current/usable?

And would it even be worth running if PoE is on an SSD?

I'm curious as well. Also is this only for the initial client load time, or would/should/could performance improve elsewhere?
I've been an on and off player ever since beta, ran this for the first time just a short while and it shaved 1 1/2 gigs from my ggpk file, heh ;)
Ever since I tried using this, my PoE just freezes in game after about a minute of play time. Tried uninstalling and re-installing but it did not fix this problem. Hopefully I can get it to work again, thanks a lot. :(((
Could someone please PM me instructions on how to do it, played for years and never done it... its probably written in the 50 pages but I am lazy... just being honest :)
"
acester wrote:
Could someone please PM me instructions on how to do it, played for years and never done it... its probably written in the 50 pages but I am lazy... just being honest :)

Did you check the first post?
Is the info about steam still true? The OP was last updated 2 years ago. It's ridiculous to me that Steam users would be forced to play with fragmented version forever. :P
Necropolis: 95
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
unsane wrote:
Is the info about steam still true? The OP was last updated 2 years ago. It's ridiculous to me that Steam users would be forced to play with fragmented version forever. :P
Tell Steam to defragment their GGPK file before distributing it since as far as I know they do a checksum scomparison of the file and if it is not a match to a the previous version of GGPK then it will redownload the entire file... or maybe it does do file-by-file replacement. I dunno, I don't use the Steam version though I do play with the Steam Overlay enabled.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
"
unsane wrote:
Tell Steam to defragment their GGPK file before distributing it since as far as I know they do a checksum scomparison of the file and if it is not a match to a the previous version of GGPK then it will redownload the entire file... or maybe it does do file-by-file replacement. I dunno, I don't use the Steam version though I do play with the Steam Overlay enabled.

Let's compare the content.ggpk size in version 2.4.0f:

standalone: ~7.6 GB (defragmented)
steam: ~11.8 GB

which is a difference of ~4 GB (!!!). I'm running PoE from hdd and the standalone client always had a better performance than the steam version (less stuttering and loading times). For me the steam version is broken and only useful to skip the e-mail unlock code. GGG please fix this!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info