GGPK Defragmenter

"
gonzo007 wrote:
so you can't defrag steam version and make it flawless like standalone??

Flawless? Heh.

You can defrag steam version if you want. On mine experience it's fairly safe. Launches fine and all loadings without crashes (multithreading off). When new update come Steam will not redownload all 12gb but some heavy recaching occur and .ggpk become fat again. But if you messed something and forced steam to recheck files then it WILL redownload 12 gb.

Another question for what reason do such manual optimization? It wouldn't last long and in the end it's just a waste of SSD (hdd) resources (and time).
I'm reading this thread from 2017 and can't help but wonder if the defragmentation file still works. Does it? I'm currently having problems downloading the game, as it stops during the 'checking resources' and an error occurs that says ' Disconnected from patching server before patching was complete'. I searched up for solutions and a particular thread brought me here. Would the file still work on the current Path of Exile and if yes, would it help me resolve my disconnecting issues? Thank you in advance.
Seems to help out somewhat. Thanks for the help.

still works and does it pretty good.
Last edited by Shival on Sep 10, 2017, 8:25:30 PM
600 mb
Last edited by DenSan1587 on Nov 21, 2017, 7:18:20 AM
Does it still work in 3.1 ?
"
char60906 wrote:
Does it still work in 3.1 ?

I am wondering as well but I am gonna take an educated guess that no one has given a crap about it since the WinExe is crossed out. But they left the source code as not crossed out in case anyone else became bored like this guy and wanted to update it for current/modern times.
Can confirm it still works. I used the first one in the spoiler of the OP (original exe).
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Jan 22, 2018, 1:15:09 AM
It will work until they change the file structure/format of the GGPK file, or the O/S becomes incompatible with the software. Afaik all it does is check for orphaned files (files that are no longer tied to an asset, in a database contained within the GGPK file) and deletes the files and their database entries. After this is done you can run a HDD defragmenter program (windows Vista & newer comes with a Diskeeper version) to consolidate the remaining content.

Load times were slowed by these orphaned files because the game had to load this database each time a loading screen occurred, to reference it for what files to load. Deleting orphaned files frees up HDD space and deleting their entries from the database file has a measurable effect on the time it takes to load and look up stuff in the database file (faster loading!).

I think GGG got a lot more competent at deleting assets that are no longer used since v2.xx of the game, reducing the effectiveness of the defragmenter. It's been years since I've seen it reduce the GGPK file by more than 300MB. That being said, it seems the Menagerie update (or 3.1) made 600MB~ of data in the GGPK file redundant.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 4, 2018, 11:27:09 AM
Tested just now on 3.2.1 and 3.2.2, and it still works perfectly.

3.2.1: saved only 40MB
3.2.2: saved 600MB

GGG often optimizes their GGPK, but not at every single release. As you can tell in 3.2.1 it was already fairly optimized (ie: little empty space/orphaned assets). But in 3.2.2 when they launched Royale for April Fools, it was obviously rushed and they didn't bother optimizing it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info