GGPK Defragmenter

"
GGG Why don't you add something like this to the patcher; or at least as a optional enduser tool?

GGG l2code plox
because a user-made tool haves so much utility in your product its shamefull you didnt made it yourself - add it to the patcher, goddamit

1700mb reduction
saved a lot of loading time

ty developers of this amazing tool
Not going to get into the problems I was having after my PoE client crashed..
Just want to give a huge thanks to anyone who was involved in the development of this script.

I am back in the game because of you sir(s) :)
Last edited by PvpGT on Sep 18, 2014, 5:56:01 PM
Why is this not linked to anywhere, So happy I found this this time by luck on a google search. Might want to have things like that put up in another sticky between here and general forums for quality of life enchancers.

Had a 5 minute load screen myself and about to run this now and see the difference. I'll come back and edit this with exact times before and after using this defragger.

I noticed when running a test relaunching after just closing the program is faster so i restarted my computer before checking any times.

Ok time before defragging 2 min 15 secs.

After defragging 1 min 30 secs.

So I'll still be able to start the game, go grab a glass of ice water and get back to my computer before it boots up to login screen, but i won't be sitting there staring at the screen for another 60-90 seconds holding my glass of water.

(It always seems longer when you are staring at it just waiting, that's where the 5 minutes came from i think)
Last edited by ValheruWolf on Sep 21, 2014, 10:23:00 PM
"
ValheruWolf wrote:
Why is this not linked to anywhere, So happy I found this this time by luck on a google search. Might want to have things like that put up in another sticky between here and general forums for quality of life enchancers.

Had a 5 minute load screen myself and about to run this now and see the difference. I'll come back and edit this with exact times before and after using this defragger.

It's linked in the Consolidated Technical sticky post.
Last edited by Drakier on Sep 21, 2014, 9:02:04 PM
"
Drakier wrote:
"
ValheruWolf wrote:

It's linked in the Consolidated Technical sticky post.

Oh wow, man even after you said that it took me a couple read throughs to find it at the very bottom in what feels like fine print. I kind of feel like that section should have beent he top section int he post and retitled to things to make your game run better :)
"
"
darkjoy wrote:
What exactly does this do?

The ggpk file contains many files and folders. It can also contain tons of wasted space. When the patcher adds or updates a file or directory, instead of moving around all the data in the 3+GB pack, it'll just mark that file or directory as free space.

LOL at this.

I figured out it's time to defrag my game today, since my content file has been around since open beta. The pack is now close to 7.5 GB :)

edit: After 15 minutes, the result is 1.8 GB saved space. Heh.
A Belligerent Expert System
Last edited by Rogomatic on Oct 9, 2014, 12:30:46 AM
Its a silly idea to even think about an automatic defragging with every small/minor patch of 10 or even 100MB. Just many of this small chunks lead into to problem with more and more wasted space inside the package (along with small partials from bigger patches which could not be reused for new stuff)
And since the package can not be in use while defragmenting, its the easiest (and most logical) way to do this with an external application instead of an implemented feature. It doesnt matter, who this tool wrote... it could even be 'licensed' by GGG ;)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
And since the package can not be in use while defragmenting, its the easiest (and most logical) way to do this with an external application instead of an implemented feature.
No, the most logical way is to start defragmenting when unused space starts to take more than some fraction, say 10%, of all ggpk size, and that - again, most logically - could and should be detected by updater itself.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
At least for me it would be completely unacceptable, to have a 'delay' of 10 or 20 minutes caused by the decision of a simple minor patch, that "now" the treshold is crossed. Even as this would be the case very rare, I'm sure it would always be the "wrong" moment... ;)

An acceptable solution could check the defragmentation status (probably not at every patch, but only at bigger ones, >100MB?) and then tell you if it recommends the defragging ("now, next time, ask again"). By this you could at best shift it to a time when it doesnt disturb you - just start it once while doing something else.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Yes, maybe so, but still it should be a part of updater. An official part of it.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info