GGPK Defragmenter

my game was running very weird after running this last night. besides weird loading at the start I was getting in some maps what appeared like a lighting issue or a tile issue.

anyone else get this problem?

I uninstalled before I left for work and started the installer.. hoping to have a fresh copied installed when I get home.

I am not slighting this program at all.. just providing my feedback as I had never had those issues until immediately after running this.

thanks

Why is there no official file checker.
This actually made my Content file, larger.

I followed the instructions to the T, and I know how to get around in dos so I was definitely in the right folder and had the correct syntax typed in, it took about five minutes for it to defrag. But then I was left two Content files, each being 6GB in size, when previously I only had 1 Content file and it was under 6GB.

The odd thing I noted is, the OP's guide says to look for a content2.gppk file along with the default content.ggpk which was strange as hell because I had no Content2.ggpk. I had a Content.ggpk and a Content.gppk. Yea re-read the last sentence, the second Content file was Content.gppk and it was only like 16 MB at best, before the "defrag". After running the application, it went up to 6 GB.

I can still log in and play but I have no idea what occurred here.
I did it on both PC's here and it shaved 200MB off the one PC and about 100MB off the other. I do have to say that the load times are a bit shorter, or so it seems. That could just be my imagination at work, though. Either way, I'm sure the overall performance is slightly better.
Looks like someone missed their weekly meeting of Douchebag's Anonymous.

Last edited by The_Paw on Apr 23, 2013, 5:12:21 AM
"
Zoxc wrote:
I was bored and made a tool to defragment Path of Exile's GGPK files. I shaved 850 MB off my client by using this.

It's a console application which takes two arguments, the filename of the GGPK to copy and a filename for the defragmented output.

Download Windows executable - Source code

Thanks for this dude!!
this really needs to be directly included with the game - as load times are getting absurd with this game, its up taking 30 seconds to a minute, just to load the game now.
FYI: Running this on a HD without defragging the content file afterwards can degrade performance. Last time I ran ggpk_defrag it scattered my content file into 1200 fragments all over the drive.

Defraggler is awesome for this situation as it lets you defrag the content file specifically without taking all night to defrag the whole drive.

If you have an SSD you can skip this part. (Never disk defrag an SSD, it just wears it out for nothing)
"
Skydogg5555 wrote:
When i tried writing in the 3rd step of your instructions I just get, "ggpk_defragment.exe content.ggpk content2.ggpk is not recognized as an internal or external program or batch file...????

Make sure the ggpk_defragment file is in the same folder as the content.ggpk you are defragmenting, and make sure that your command prompt is navigated to that exact folder.

For those needing to navigate the command prompt a bit for any reason:

cd <folder> : changes the current folder to any other folder
cd .. : goes up one level
dir : lists everything in a folder, if its too much, use dir /p
sigh, whats the point of an exe if i have to open dos and navigate to run it, fuck that noise
"
sigh, whats the point of an exe if i have to open dos and navigate to run it, fuck that noise

You don't. You just have to use some energy and go to page 2 of the thread.

"
radiatoren wrote:

1. make a shortcut to ggpk_defragment.exe

2. Edit the shortcut so it says something like this in the Target field (you also might to change it to C:/Program files (x86)):

Target: ["C:/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile/ggpk_defragment.exe" content.ggpk content2.ggpk]

3. Go to the folder of your client.exe.

4. Change name of content.ggpk to contentold.ggpk

5. Change name of content2.ggpk to content.ggpk

Then you have done it right! :)

ps. I assume you have moved ggpk_defragment.exe into the path of exile folder, I assume that Client.exe and content.ggpk is in the same folder and that folder is the path of exile folder - anything else would seem illogical.
Last edited by Justifiedsoul on Apr 25, 2013, 9:43:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info