MAGIC FIND (Quantity / Rarity). What you need to know

I really dont think what Mark is saying apply to all DOT effect. He's just talking about poison arrow, which apply a buff, that do not deal damage but degen the unit affected. That's why when an unit is dead, it is not killed by the poison arrow skill. That's also why posion arrow cannot be stacked, just the buff that is refreshed upon entering the cloud

I have no experience about viper strike and puncture, but burn damage is a DoT effect that is deal by the skill/attack itself and will take into account any MF gem linked to that skill.

Detonate dead, minion instability and the like are special case where their implementation cause the dmg to not coming from the skill/minion and MF not apply properly.

So before we start bandwagon on this problem, you need dev's clarification before you can say that "it's that way on poison arrow so its must be the same on all DoT"
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
"
Progammer wrote:
I really dont think what Mark is saying apply to all DOT effect. He's just talking about poison arrow, which apply a buff, that do not deal damage but degen the unit affected. That's why when an unit is dead, it is not killed by the poison arrow skill. That's also why posion arrow cannot be stacked, just the buff that is refreshed upon entering the cloud

I have no experience about viper strike and puncture, but burn damage is a DoT effect that is deal by the skill/attack itself and will take into account any MF gem linked to that skill.

Detonate dead, minion instability and the like are special case where their implementation cause the dmg to not coming from the skill/minion and MF not apply properly.

So before we start bandwagon on this problem, you need dev's clarification before you can say that "it's that way on poison arrow so its must be the same on all DoT"

Seems quite clear in his explanation.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

the support gems apply only to killing blows - i.e. when you hit something and the damage of that hit kills it. The DOT never deals "killing blows", because it never deals blows of any kind in the first place, it's just degen reducing life over time.

But I agree we need specifics, hence this thread.
I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth.
"
Psomm wrote:

Here's a list that will NOT award support skills Rarity or Quantity percentage on mob death:

Burning Arrow Dot
Poison Arrow Dot
Viper Strike DOT
Puncture DOT
Infernal Blow Burning
Zombies / Skeletons dmg/explosions
Chance to Ignite burning damage.
Correct

"
Psomm wrote:
Explosive Arrow Explosion
Detonate Dead
Zombies / Skeletons dmg/explosions
No, those all work. I am not sure why you would think they didn't. It's just degen which can't be affected by the support gems (and minion instability until we overcome that specific limitation. These are all hitting for damage. Degen is not.

"
Psomm wrote:
So any Damage over time, or any indirect damage not caused specifically from the immediate damage of your skill won't affect the drop rate / rarity your support gems offer.
I have crossed out the part which is incorrect.
"
Psomm wrote:
Change the support gems to work on ANY killing blows, be it by dots, zombies, or delayed explosions. I see no reason why it shouldn't be this way.
Because degen and actually hitting for damage are actually very different things and there isn't any easy way to link stats saying "when this skill hits for damage, apply these modifies to drops" to aspects which are not hitting for damage.

In addition, degen effects applying modifiers causes issues because if there are multiple degen effects on a monster, there's no way to say which one it died to, as they're all applying simultaneously. Charges and on-kill are dealt with by assigning the kill to whichever degen buff is first in the monster's (de)buff list, which will be the oldest one. Attaching on-kill drop modifiers would probably mean adding them in another (de)buff for as long as the degen lasted, which would allow them to stack from multiple degens, which would be imbalanced.

If we're able to find a way to allow this we will, but this is not a matter of just clicking a button to turn it on. The nature of degen effects doesn't work well with this.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 11, 2012, 6:51:56 PM
"
Progammer wrote:
I really dont think what Mark is saying apply to all DOT effect. He's just talking about poison arrow, which apply a buff, that do not deal damage but degen the unit affected.
For the record, that's what all degen/DOT is.
Wow I never knew it didn't work with ignite death..That majorly sucks. Please find a fix for this and the rest of the DOT's GGG.

Thanks so much for the clarification Mark, much appreciated.

I believed the Detonate Dead did because it does initial dmg, then a different damage based on the mob's health.

As for skeletons/minions, same idea. it seemed that any lack of Direct Damage from a skill would not initiate the quantity / rarity. i.e any damage after or different than the original damage.

Regardless, thank you for clearing it up, I'll update the OP.

I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth.
I once saw a weapon with Item Quality / Quantity linked with Temporal Chains.

Assuming temp chains (A curse) synergizes with the MF mods, if I kill the enemy by ANY MEANS (While Temporal Chains are still ON the mob) will the MF Mods effect the drops?

"
darkm0d wrote:
I once saw a weapon with Item Quality / Quantity linked with Temporal Chains.

Assuming temp chains (A curse) synergizes with the MF mods, if I kill the enemy by ANY MEANS (While Temporal Chains are still ON the mob) will the MF Mods effect the drops?

It wont work, as per Mark's clarification, curse do not deal damage, the other skill does, so the MF linked to curse will not take effect.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
For the record, that's what all degen/DOT is.

Thanks for the clarification.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
Last edited by Progammer on Apr 11, 2012, 8:30:14 PM
I don't see why people cry foul here and think the mechanics need to be fixed. IF you sit back and spam your ranged attacks which do crazy damage and give you 0 chance of death providing you stay at range, why should you get the same MF drop rate as someone who takes the risk of going toe to toe with a monster? Well at least you dont have all your skills give you the benefit, this just forces you to chose an order to your attacks is all.

Sorry if the 'I Win' button makes you use 2 skills instead of 1.
"
arcon97 wrote:
I don't see why people cry foul here and think the mechanics need to be fixed. IF you sit back and spam your ranged attacks which do crazy damage and give you 0 chance of death providing you stay at range, why should you get the same MF drop rate as someone who takes the risk of going toe to toe with a monster? Well at least you dont have all your skills give you the benefit, this just forces you to chose an order to your attacks is all.

Sorry if the 'I Win' button makes you use 2 skills instead of 1.

I don't see why people think they know what builds everyone is using. I for one have Chance to ignite linked to Shield Charge on a Witch. It's fun as hell to play but with over 80 deaths I think I deserve to have a little added MF in there :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info