0.10.3c Patch Notes

"
MajorThor wrote:
"
Kortak wrote:
Loot system is still retarded because you dont let the people themself decide how they want loot distributed

Party leader should set the loot options/timers etc..

ah well.. still playing solo as long as this FFA sjit is happening

The loot system is still retarded because it's trying to cater to all the MMO fanboys who want dedicated loot instead of having to fight tooth and nail for gear. Diablo 2's loot system was perfect: First Come, First Served. CUTTHROAT, which is what GGG initially said they wanted. Now it's this wannabe MMO-esk carebear loot system and it's getting worse.

Which is why they need to add the ability to go hostile if someone grabs your allocated loot; Cut Throat!
IGN: Wrathmar * Paulie * Client
"
MajorThor wrote:
"
Harmster wrote:
Good call, couldn't agree more.

"
you dont let the people themself decide how they want loot distributed

I just felt like adding this, ARPGS aren't MMOs where you can change how loot is given...I cannot even put into words just how overbearingly maddening it is to hear that the new generation of ARPGs fanbase don't want to actually work for it (gear.)

Things change. People evolve. Otherwise we'd all still be dragging our knuckles along and picking insects out our buttholes. Don't fear change (or get mad at it). It's almost always positive. And it is built into our nature to improve ourselves. And finally....it is inevitable.
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
Last edited by GhostlightX on Mar 19, 2013, 12:19:21 PM
"
MajorThor wrote:
...instead of having to fight tooth and nail for gear.

What fight? can 2 characters fight to the death for the loot?
No!, not even for just a little scratch. No consequences for taking anything.

"
MajorThor wrote:
CUTTHROAT, which is what GGG initially said they wanted.

What cutthroat? can 2 characters cut eachothers throat for the loot?
No!, not even for just a little scratch. No consequences for taking anything.

So no fight and no cutthroat at all.
I don't know what you're dreaming.

"
MajorThor wrote:
...don't want to actually work for it (gear.)

But they DO work for it (gear) by killing monsters.
Last edited by mobutu on Mar 19, 2013, 12:04:55 PM
"
wrathmar wrote:
Which is why they need to add the ability to go hostile if someone grabs your allocated loot; Cut Throat!

YES!!!! Hostility Declaration = Amazinnnggg!!
Hail Thor-show thy might, Let thunder roar and lightning strike! Hurl thy hammer into the fray, And let thine enemies know fear this day!
"
mushioov wrote:
"
Vooodu wrote:

Whaaat?

He only read the "They made it more FFA" part and disregarded the rest, like a true ADHD-warrior would.

So, loot remains instanced (ie mine) for 1 second longer but the net result is a less instanced system? Wow. That is some brain-washing job they did on you.

Next you can explain how removing names and instanced blues (ie less clutter, everything now easier to see, especially now its easier to spot YOUR loot once you tune in) counts as more FFA.
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
"
Kortak wrote:
"
riptid3 wrote:
"
Thalandor wrote:
Has anyone considered how new players will have little clue as to how looting works, since there's no timer/names? Not everyone read these boards... They'll catch on eventually, but its really not intuitive.

There's nothing they need to know. If the loot is grayed out they can't get it, once it's no longer grayed it's fair game. I think it's you that does not understand how looting works, despite it being intuitive.

your opinion.. this loot system is from the dark ages and thousands of games have already evolved to much better loot options.

Still GGG wants to keep this old ninja loot system with no choices

It's not my opinion. The system is cut and dry. If you can pick it up it's fair game if you can't it's not. Not sure where my opinion on the matter is stated at all.

However, what you responded with was an opinion and you're welcomed to it. Regardless of how dense I think it is.

"
GhostlightX wrote:

Things change. People evolve. Otherwise we'd all still be dragging our knuckles along and picking insects out our buttholes. Don't fear change (or get mad at it). It's almost always positive. And it is built into our nature to improve ourselves. And finally....it is inevitable.

This is an argument you see used over many different topics and it's usually in an attempt to validate their pov.

Newsflash. The wheel is still round.

Change isn't always positive nor is it always negative. In addition, it's not always needed. You'd have to be a moron to think otherwise. Next time, try arguing with valid points rather than regurgitated generalizations that are out of place. You'll have more of a chance influencing a change in your favor.
-ign rptd (Hardcore) _riptide (default and that's an underscore too)
Last edited by riptid3 on Mar 19, 2013, 2:08:45 PM
"
Egren wrote:
tl;dr, I believe this change was for the worse. Let the loot rules be set by the party, don't force the players into something they don't like.

This turned into quite the wall of text. I apologize, but I didn't want to leave anything out. the tl;dr above still pretty much sums my opinions up. Below is my explanation.

I appreciate the attempt of making the game more enjoyable through this kind of changes, but this time, I would have to say it was a miss.

###How it was then

One of the issues when playing in a party is that other people, if you're not fast enough, can simply take the items that were meant for YOU. While some might like the competitiveness of this mechanic, it makes it *unfun* to join public parties since, well, that Divine Orb that just dropped was meant for you, but someone else just took it because you weren't fast enough!

This is why, when I (and probably MANY others) play, I only play with friends I know I can trust. This in turn means I'm usually playing solo or with one or two friends. I would love to team up with more people but I don't want them stealing my items.
It still isn't perfect, since some items don't belong to a player when dropped, and alot of those still hold considerable value. Which makes it impossible to solve who gets the item, apart from, yes, simply DIVING for that item (yet again an unfun mechanic).

###How it is now
Extending the timer on the items was a good thing, but I believe everything other change to the loot rules was wrong. Here's why:
1. Removing the nametags from the items: On alot of occasions, I've seen a rare/unique/orb that belongs to another player, but he or she doesn't see it. In my play group we used to let that player know there is a (potentially) valuable item that belongs to them. This is now impossible, as I can't tell which of my friends actually has dibs on that item! This causes alot of frustration for us, since we want to honor the nametags, but now it's become impossible at times. This already happens with items that drop when NO ONE sees it. But the change has made this happen even when one or even several people see the item.

2. Making magic items free for all: This change is what I was most surprised about. Like I said, in my play group we don't like that we *have* to dive for valueable items because it doesn't belong to anyone. This includes any 6-socketed items (7 jeweller's is worth nearly 1 chaos), and then even worse for 5-links and ugh, 6-links.

Before, I was actually hoping that EVERY SINGLE ITEM that dropped would have a name tag on it, so that these "problems" would NEVER occur when playing with my friends. My jaw literally dropped (That's gonna take some extensive surgery right there) when i read the patch notes that name tags had been removed from magic items.

Before I end this, I'd like to explicitly answer your feedback questions:

1. Was it easier to read what items drop now that fewer are allocated and the size of the item hovers doesn't change?
For me (we're usually only 2-4 players so the quantity of items isn't that insane) it's become slightly worse, but trimming down the textbox sizes does have it's merits. I'd like to see some minor change to the text on the grayed out items though, to more easily discern them from what's actually yours. (make items allocated to other players more visually discinct from "your" items, perhaps by a red line under the item name, or whatever)

Does the increased allocation duration help enough in terms of being able to grab items in time assuming you react quickly?
Yes. But I still don't like the timer at all. I wish there could be a cleaner solution. (letting each party change these settings as they see fit would make everyone happy!)

THIS

/thread
IGN = Ghalamir

My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/161047/page/1
1) No longer assigning magic items helps keep item names on-screen for bosses / dense packs. Definitely appreciated.

Otherwise, its slightly harder for me to read what has dropped. Before, I'd have a larger visual cue (including my name), and could focus on the color of the item, then name. I now feel like I'm scouting for smaller targets, which is a bit harder. This has slowed my response time to loot, but I may need more time to adjust.

2) The increased duration helps, assuming the entire group is clustered together.

Once the group spreads out a little, nobody is able to call who should get first shot at a drop. In play with friends, before, we could call "x, orb", that player could quickly react, and get their loot. As a result, partying in our group of friends just got a little less pleasant.
my group has more than 3 quantity - 100%+/rarity -175%+ (both can go much higher) geared people who constantly last hit everything, we still get clutter and we r still missing who some items belong to even before the patch. it has now only became MUCH worse without names. we have specific people run up, down, left, and right so that we can get the names of every ones loot because we choose to use teamwork and fairness. rares that drop r simply ID'd throughout maps (we r forced to leave several on the ground) and given to whoever can use it or put into someones stash for selling or safekeeping for those who may not b online at the time. GGG is making a change that is TOO drastic after they have already shown PoE as having potential to be somewhat team-based with names on loot, not to mention they want guild support before the end of the year. to completely take that away ruins the game that some of us thought we were playing.

now im not saying this was a bad change overall. we should b given the option to have names back (mainly on orbs and uniques), nothing more. we dont care about how long the names last bcuz we already found a system that works with the short duration of labels. yes we might b a bit slower then more "efficient" groups but to us that has no effect on our gameplay. if our "fun" comes from everyone succeeding equally (through RNG drops) then so b it. that is the game we were playing and still want. give us that back. enough of this system that is taking the game in the wrong direction for the guilds GGG hopes to keep through the year.
IGN:tWojo
Last edited by WoJo311 on Mar 19, 2013, 12:29:22 PM
Is it just me or are there considerably less public groups for maps since the change?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info