Ranger BEWARE BEFORE you level a ranger

"
mrpetrov wrote:
"
AthenaUS wrote:
I want to save many future archers the trouble of having to re-roll by selecting a ranger. The new buffs to the dueslist tree make that class farrrrrrrr superior archers regardless of wether you go the standard LA or not.

Check out my Duelist Archer (Lightning arrow) guide here BEFORE you roll your ranger..
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/268330

I think you're overstating it. In my humble view, a Ranger can get *both* the duelist starting nodes and the Ranger starting nodes by the mid 80s+/90. However, a Duelist will never get some of the juicy Ranger starting nodes. If you have a longer term view, I'd argue Ranger remains the marginal best choice, but concede Duelist has the better early-mid game build.

Petrov.

agreed
Marauder is still better assuming he goes into duelist starting area for dps. They all even out at around 85-90 lvl with ranger having an option to pick up the biggest ammount of dps nodes (due to ranger starting area)
IGN: Kebehsenuf
"
Steve___stevE wrote:
"
mrpetrov wrote:
"
AthenaUS wrote:
I want to save many future archers the trouble of having to re-roll by selecting a ranger. The new buffs to the dueslist tree make that class farrrrrrrr superior archers regardless of wether you go the standard LA or not.

Check out my Duelist Archer (Lightning arrow) guide here BEFORE you roll your ranger..
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/268330

I think you're overstating it. In my humble view, a Ranger can get *both* the duelist starting nodes and the Ranger starting nodes by the mid 80s+/90. However, a Duelist will never get some of the juicy Ranger starting nodes. If you have a longer term view, I'd argue Ranger remains the marginal best choice, but concede Duelist has the better early-mid game build.

Petrov.

agreed

he is just stealing people's idea and now wanted to promote his 'build'
I do agree though, ranger dose suck, its pretty horrible now with duelist changes, ether be mana or HP or attack speed, or armor, duelist has it all.

Yeah I deleted my ranger too, its not efficient enough when it comes to skill points.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't this be better? You can start as marauder or Duelist, no matter.

Marauder is better choice because you can change from range bow user to melee more easy :P
If you would want to try melee Elemental build some day, marauder would be the best choice lol.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQBAnEEswUtDH0OrRB_FE0XHRjbGS4aOB0UIWAn7SmlMgkyfjKJNug6UkCgQ5xN41XGV-JYr1nzYEthIWaeZ71uqnTtdPF35XgNeu-E741-j0aQVZstm6GeuaIApwinhKlurFmsqrXyt7a4k7ndvqfAGsaezZjPZdDQ3sbfv-pi7Djub-9O8B_yL_Pd-rH60v6PrpN6uLc-xq48LcT21I_vDudSVElfP_ZIjM9QUFhjxths9oLkkBFz4feIX6q-igHcpBkb-iXfhNluaWVNR36rxeLq0k3AD5uD2t1yqXzZFm-Kr_4K8kXnY6ZXOuGI8UZp
Last edited by Killia on Mar 22, 2013, 11:42:54 PM
as ppl have pointed out it all evens out at higher levels when u have enough skill points.

if u play long enough to farm good gear... then levels shouldnt be an issue and hence rangers aint any lousier than duelists or maurs.

and honestly giving how easy it is to level to, say 80ish, levels shouldnt be much of a concern.
WTS Tons of good stuff : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/379249
WTB Godly MF witch gear : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346658
Paying VERY well, just let me know if u have upgrades for me
LA bow marauder build bad or good going to use L6 lion eye and kaom

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdxPY8Lcautz56uK6Tbqoyfj8nKk0VICzp3Q2QCvzFZ6CHdkp9VvrdRmOn_E5M_69sxYrwH6IAFE0EswJxMol35Vfi7DgaOKeEkFUpT-QiGmydrqcIuJMMfRB_xp6PRtDQz2VVxhZvm6Fnve5v_gryRedjplc64YjxGYUkqjbp42p0QRR1Dq0ppTqzNYa5zZ2qg9v8S85xbBbK0xm0-rHqYt7GzZi-p41-t7Y=

2nd build

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3UjxkuJ-3z3cT2PC3Grrc-eriuk26qPycqTRUgLOnK0xm0-rHqYt7GzZiNfre2Fx2bLb6n0k3AD25phNllTUd-q8Ul3xv6pBkB3OLqYSGE73Tteu9gSwUtQKDvTjIJIWB08Z65GNtDnA6tKaWmVzrhiPH-CvJF52NM_69sxYrwH6IAFE0EszKJd-VX4uw4GjinhJBVKU_kIhpsna6nCLiTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWb5uhZ73ubzJ-

end game build

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdxPY8Lcautz56uK6TbPaC5JARc-H3iF-qplc64Yjx_gryRedjbqoyfj8nKk0VICzpytMZtPqx6mLexs2YvqfSTcAPjX63thcdmy3dDfzFVvrdRmOn_E50QRR1Dq0ppUz_r2zFivAfogAUTQSzMol35Vfi7DgpT-QiGmydrqcIuJMMfRB_xp6PRtDQz2VVxpuhZ73ub-4OGtv5YxXwGf4bAaGkxKLcFavSp9T-yDpYBH6NfWegh3ZKfTqzNYa5zZ2qg9v8S85xbBaCm9V1zLfyzhZv
Last edited by hitman8 on Mar 23, 2013, 2:17:36 AM
in terms of offensive - I would agree

For my passive tree the change from Ranger to Duellist would be

*5 points Duellist to connect, gaining: 10% attack speed, 24% incr. projectile dmg
*9 points Ranger I would spent anywhere else, losing: 12% attack speed, 48% incr. evasion rating, 40 Dex, 16% incr. life

I can also compensate the loss of deffensive stats, investing 3 points for 50% incr. evasion rating and 1 point for 8% incr. life

so let's see the difference:

9 points to 9 points

*attack speed: 2% less
*incr. projectile dmg: 24% more
*incr. evasion rating: 2% more
*incr. life: 8% less
*Dex: 40 less

So yes, you're making more dmg at cost of some deffensive. But for me the difference is not THAT big deal.

By the way: With Iron Reflexes the incr. evasion rating = incr. armour rating, only the boni from gear is bigger from evasion because you'll probably have more incr. evasion because of Dex.
In Endgame-Maps I also realized, that you do not have to be the uber-killer-Roxxor-Pro-Damagedealer... I invested more in deffensive stats and that works quite nice, while killing mobs fast enough. And do not over-estimate "projectile-damage" - depending on skills you're using, with LA+Blackgleam for example there is incr. projectile damage = incr. weapon elemental damage, and those nodes might be easier to get.
"
0rochi wrote:
as ppl have pointed out it all evens out at higher levels when u have enough skill points.

if u play long enough to farm good gear... then levels shouldnt be an issue and hence rangers aint any lousier than duelists or maurs.

and honestly giving how easy it is to level to, say 80ish, levels shouldnt be much of a concern.

The greatest difference is the leveling process, ranger is excruciatingly boring with slow attack speed and overall lacklister damage. I leveled my ranger to 85 on HC before I died and I would never do it again.

Duelist has been much more enjoyable. The defense is still the same as you can grab the 2x 8% and 1 24% bonus to evasion nodes at the start of duelist until you get close to inner force, at which point you can spec out of them and grab inner force which will scale your grace aura.

If you intend to go into the duelist tree as a ranger, you won't be able to reach inner force which for me is to good to pass up.

Everyone can roll what they want, but in the case of LA archers, duelist are the superior choice.
"
AthenaUS wrote:
Everyone can roll what they want, but in the case of LA archers, duelist are the superior choice.

If u enjoy a character with 100% gay animation, sure. To each it's own.
IGN: Seze
The Ranger works out fine in the end, really. She needs a little more support from items at the outset, given that she has less access to health nodes up-front, but after about level 40 this problem starts to fade away. As a trade-off, she can output better damage early if you are willing to take a few projectile damage nodes that you can then later respec out of as gear gets better and enemies get stronger.

The Duelist is probably a stronger pick if you are playing a hardcore character that you really want to keep in Hardcore.

I find that, in general, it's better to take "projectile damage" nodes over "elemental damage" ones, because those nodes "double dip" for damage given that the elemental damage is a percentage of weapon damage. This typically results in an overall increase in output, especially against enemies that have resistances.

"
_Seze_ wrote:
"
AthenaUS wrote:

If u enjoy a character with 100% gay animation, sure. To each it's own.

Posts like this make you seem like a 12 year old child with an IQ of half that age.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info