[3.9] Burning Arrow Chieftain League Start - Budget Friendly

Hey guys,

I invested lots of exalts and my build is no longer budget but you can check it. I've changed many things which I personally think are better to my playstyle. Currently I am using expensive rings (around 6ex for both) for more than a week and feel much safer and boosted the damage. You can find them as a late game upgrade:

Also I managed to craft a better rare quiver with around 8 Essence of Hysteria which ordinary obtained by new Warlord influenced type which giving us Gain 10% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage and because we need Fire Damage over Time. So Hunter type + Essence of Hysteria is much cheaper and probably easier to create. I personally like Broadhead Arrow Quiver because of the flat implicit damage which we get 100% of it converted to fire:

Because I still prefer piercing I crafted piercing mod to my gloves:

I also want to mention that I briefly changed the tree after I upgraded Awakening level to 6. Losing 10k DoT, winning 1k life. Need more testing but I feel more tanky and still the damage is enough to deal fast with T16 Metamorphs.

I couldn't live with the loss so I start digging other builds and find out that Unbound Ailments is upgrade over Combustion. Adding Awakened version of Unbound Ailments (which cost me 45c) I boosted my DoT with 40k. Linked Combustion to Wave of Conviction in Asenath's Chant to reduce even more Fire Resistance of the enemy. This makes Flammability useless since the reduction is bigger.
/Path of Building doesn't count Quality of Awakened Unbound Ailments which is +10% to Fire Damage Over Time/

Finally, I swapped a rare jewel with Watcher's Eye that gives Gain 21% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage while affected by Anger.

In the end I still can't kill Sirius because every time I die to the environment aka Red Circles :D
My take on this build has quite a unique playstyle as you have to watch the ngamahu and overload buffs, juggle granite flask with molten shell/ vall molten shell.

Granite flask + molten shell + vaal molten shell (around 8k damage absorb from both shells)
Glorious Vanity Doryani gives 20% life as ES so that was free 1.7k es shield, we have ES leech from heart of flame

Using "Arohongui" ascendancy and Nhgamahu so playstyle is quite active and boss/ metamorph focused. I dont have any problem clearing I didnt go for stormfire either instead stacked hp on every item so sitting at 7.5k + 1.7k es.

When it comes to bosses I place spell totem+ wave of conviction Arohongui then debuffs boss to take 16% more dmg and deal 8% less. Shoot to get a crit and proc elemental overload then run around and wait for ngamahu proc which gives big boost now shoot vaal burning arrow.

Using awakened unbound elements support for +60% ignite duration, ignites are 5 sec so I deal with ads put totem down if its dead get another overload proc then hit boss again when ngamahu buff is up.

Overall satisfying build in hindsight though I should have rolled a build that would get much much stronger after 12ex investment
Playing around with my PoB to try and get some more survival. I pathed over to acro / phase acro and dropped some dps nodes. Also switched my granite flask to a rumi's for a little block because why not. Going to try playing around with that a bit. Also added enduring cry for some endurance charge generation.

That gets me to about 6k hp, 50% evade via blind from sand stance, 40% dodge / 30% spell dodge, 13% block / 6% spell block w rumi's up, and 19% phys reduction without rumi's, 33% with. Also plan to replace the talisman with an amulet that has hardened scars for fortitude during life flasks.

Here's a link to the PoB i'm currently using if anyone's interested. Try not to dwell on the gear too much, it's garbage. I'm super broke because I can't stick with one character.

https://pastebin.com/qhUeVvkR

Update: I respecced my tree over to acro / phase, but kept my alchemists granite flask of iron skin (which gets my phys reduction up to 50% w endurance charges). Its been awesome. My gear is still crap but I just went from level 92 to level 93, 0 to 100%, deathless. And I was doing corrupted T16,s betrayal, guardians, full power metamorphs every map, everything. The only thing I didn't run was elder / shaper / sirius because I've been selling my fragments for gear upgrades. And the sirius fight is no problem, I just need to learn the storm mechanic better. He's never killed me, only the storms.

My actual current character linked below. My gear has a very long way to go and I'm clearing all content easily at this point.

https://pastebin.com/zqAQAXPp
Last edited by rpgambit on Jan 11, 2020, 9:28:03 AM
I can give you some videos if u still need them.

I'm rocking a dmg oriented setup with a lot more speed then in the videos.

This is my gear. I might be over doing the ele pen thing. I have ele pen and reduce ele res and double curse to further reduce the enemy's fire res, and im not sure if there is a point to stacking them so much more.

The glove question you had in the main page is answered by my gloves i think. I picked it up very early for 1-2 ex i think or maybe 3-4 never seen another. Crafting 1 might be an option but then to corrupt it seems impossible, so i kidna look at it as a unique glove and solve my res through my gear elswhere.

I use a two stone ring for this reason with curse on hit flammability. I have no idea if swapping the quiver worth it ever, and im no PoB magician so i cannot check.

The helmet is super sweet the double pierce with drill makes clearing super super easy.

I never swap my GMP out because i dont think there is need for it, and it is rly hard to aim with 1 arrow when dodging like crazy, therefore i just realized i dont need dying sun, so i might incorporate a defensive flask.
I use a basalt as i believe (dont know) flat armor vs % reduction the latter wins in T16.

I still want a lab enchant on the boots, and i might wanna try and go for double corrupt on the bow :D but i cant 6L with my found fuses and i dont spend...tho i have like 35ex in the bank :D:D

I wanted to craft a helmet and an amulet but it turns out its a lot cheaper to buy them. Same with the ring.

I'M thinking about going for endurance charges for more survivability and swappng to the other ascendancy point for it.

I fking live this build and this league too. I'm running awakened 8 no problems. I die sometimes, i cant get over lvl 94, tho all the points would go into HP i had to respec out of some ebcause i wanted to pick up the double curse.

I run a watchers eye with male and attack damage inc with preci.

My gem setup is different. I found blink arrow super fking slow, and swapped to flame dash. I also use phase run and it feels super good, also helps with hairy situations.

I'm open to any suggestions, and waiting on an explanation on how ele pen reduced ele res and all that stack up.

Cheers from Hungary.
Penetration doesn't affect ignite. Penetration only applies to hits, so it doesn't increase damage over time.
So why are they using wise oak then?

There is no point in the ele pen helmet then? Doesnt more initial elemental damage convert into higher amount of burn ?

Also can you reduce enemy ele res bellow 0? Or was that changed in 3.9?
Last edited by Gizdalord on Jan 12, 2020, 7:36:08 PM
Actually the helmet is -% Fire Resistance which is different from Fire Penetration.
"
Gizdalord wrote:
So why are they using wise oak then?

There is no point in the ele pen helmet then? Doesnt more initial elemental damage convert into higher amount of burn ?

Also can you reduce enemy ele res bellow 0? Or was that changed in 3.9?

Wise oak would be useful only for the 10% damage reduction. Though, since survival seems to be the sticking point, might still be worth using it.

-resists helps our ignite damage. "Penetration" only affects the hits themselves, so does not affect ignite. The final result of the initial hit doesn't matter, ignite uses the base damage before all modifiers, then modifies that with anything that affects ignite (damage, fire damage, etc).

Penetration takes the final result of a hit and the resists that would be applied to it, then subtracts from those. So for hits it's better than -resist if the target has more than their max resistance. For example if a target had 75% max resist but 100% resist, -25% fire resist would bring it from 100 to 75, so no effective change. 25% Penetration would take the final result, the 75, then subtract 25 from that, down to 50.

Both calculations can bring the target's resist negative, so any -resist you can find is good. Just avoid the word "penetrate".
Last edited by rpgambit on Jan 13, 2020, 7:15:08 AM
Alright, I've kind of hit a wall on where to go with this build.

POB says I have roughly 560k burning dps.. which is good enough to run t16s easily and metamorphs but I haven't been able to kill Sirus yet. Only t16 I have trouble with is Chimera during the smoke phases.

I need recommendations on what to do gear-wise to increase survivability.

I know I'd like to add some chaos res and probably increase life but I'm not sure what gear to change.

Also, I realize I could probably add enlighten+precision but I already don't have much issue with killing 99% of things so I haven't bothered to take that step yet.
"
slvrdrgnz wrote:
Alright, I've kind of hit a wall on where to go with this build.

POB says I have roughly 560k burning dps.. which is good enough to run t16s easily and metamorphs but I haven't been able to kill Sirus yet. Only t16 I have trouble with is Chimera during the smoke phases.

I need recommendations on what to do gear-wise to increase survivability.

I know I'd like to add some chaos res and probably increase life but I'm not sure what gear to change.

Also, I realize I could probably add enlighten+precision but I already don't have much issue with killing 99% of things so I haven't bothered to take that step yet.

For me, personally I prefer Ignites deal damage faster mod on boots. Also you can put Turbulent Catalysts on the belt to increase the same mod. Which would be 42% faster. This is really good. Same damage - shorter time.
For gloves, you can find Fire damage over time which should be best mod on gloves for us.
The helmet. This is pretty overpowered. Personally I prefer Vaal Summon Skeletons to distract enemies over two curses.
This Searching Eye jewel I think is useless since we are using Cinderswallow flask.
Ignite doesn't benefit from Damage with Bows so Viridian Jewel should be changed too.
Watcher's Eye has better mod for Anger - Gain % physical damage as extra fire.
Rings - I prefer pure fire damage so swapped Stormfire for Circle of Anguish with Herald of Ash has % reduced Mana Reservation and Herald of Ash has % increased Buff Effect. The other ring is The Taming giving me +40% to All Elemental Resists and 60% elemental damage.
I bought Maloney's Mechanism to test the synergy and by now I feel it better than any other quiver because the extra skills I fire. I put Ensnaring Arrow, Frenzy and Culling Strike.
In the end I have nearly 900k burning damage(at max) and 7.5k life. I am able to tank Sirus damage and red storms since they are nerfed.

I think I am geared very well but still think the build isn't very strong despite the investment. For roughly 20ex I would have a better Summoner or Blade Vortex. But fun is more important than power, right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info