Why the socket changes?

"
SudianX wrote:
Gems will be socketed (and I assume fully socketed skill gems will be just as rare as current 6-link things)...

But... why? Is Chris still interested in adding durability to items so they wear out?

Is this a step towards making us less attached to gear so there are fewer tears later when they wear out?

After thinking for a while I found the benefits:

1. during leveling I would never change gear because I would be stuck to current 3link 4link..
why waste 3fusings, 20jewels, 2chaos, when you can use those into 6 or 7chaos and when you reach maps yuo can gear up decent gloves, belt boots and maybe helmet for 7c.

And while leveling you wont be able to keep up with changing gear.

2. SSF... no 6link I might as well try SSF.. Found good gear? Can use it without worries.

3. Newbs, people who never tried poe. This is simpler version to poe at a glance, while it will mostly be quite complex at endgame.

In anyway, I doubt anyone should ever have strong opinions before playing it for a month or two. Glad ggg isnt afraid to change things around.
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?
"
codetaku wrote:

He's just making shit up. Note how he can't link a point in the stream where Chris or Jonathan actually said that this system is simpler.

It does streamline gameplay, simply because you don't have to manually socket and link every new piece of gear you care about (gear prices will become as normalized by sockets as Kaom's is). But it doesn't simplify it.

I wasn't quoting things i was giving examples of pr speak get your facts straight pls and do not make shit up about the things i said ty.

It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
1) Illogical: for me, the current system just doesn't make sense as socketed gems don't add anything to the item itself.
2) Static: the mandatory 6-link for a good build makes the replacement of the armor very unlikely.
3) Creep: the new system will make SSF far more friendly.

Great move!
PoE going causal now that Tencent owns it like all these games do when AAA houses buy well known properties out. Dumb down game as much as possible for biggest audience possible and add a ton of paid microtransactions. It was too hard to 6L things (see daily threads whining) and made too many ppls rage quit that takes away from Tencent bottom line and they don't like that.

They have been dumbing down 6 linking for over the years anyway with >20% quality, corrupted, masters, etc... Thats why they are so cheap now when they used to cost 30ex minimum in Gen 1 days. I remeber my first 6L was a 35ex Lightning coil. Shavs 6L was 80ex. This is the next logical softball step for mass appeal.

Just my opinion I could be wrong but this will go over like a lead balloon to those of us who have no issues 6L multiple things - SSF even.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Nov 21, 2019, 11:59:55 PM
"
Bleu42 wrote:
Cmooooooooooooooooooon runewords!

enigma killed d2, change my mind
The socket changes are welcome as far as I'm concerned.

While leveling, often, new gear with better stats that WOULD have been a "hooray" moment, in a game where getting good drops is kinda the lifeblood... turned into, "if only it had the sockets and links I need." And those upgrades weren't worth wasting tons of fusings/chromes/etc just to get it to equip the same gem setup you're currently using.

Essentially, even good drops became blah drops, and I played SSF. I have stash tabs full of early leveling gear (from multiple leagues in remove-only tabs) because of socket/link setups, not necessarily stats.

This will actually allow upgrading your gear as you play, as you progress... instead of making each piece of gear a crafting project until you can wear it with your gems (a project I usually waited on conducting until I was at maps, or at least at the level where the gear could get the rolls I wanted.

Fusings/Chromes/etc were needless bumps in the road that hurt the overall itemization of the game, IMO. It's a good change. (chromas and jewelers will still be good for min-maxers, from what I saw, for people in endgame who want certain exact gem colors, and obviously 6 socket gems)

As to simplification, they outright said that they looked through the characters of people who stopped playing the game, and their links were all wrong, using gems that didn't support each other, among other things, and that even the devs had trouble remembering which support gems interacted with which attacks... and now, the ability to socket supports into the attacks will only allow support gems that work in them. This is simplification. It may not have been hard if you memorized it all, or played with the wiki open... but this will be an in-game simplification.
"
STOPTHISCRAP wrote:
"
Bleu42 wrote:
Cmooooooooooooooooooon runewords!

enigma killed d2, change my mind

It didn't kill D2 lol, however yes it was OP.

You know you could have runewords without making them OP right?
This honestly will be a massive improvement in my opinion. Gem drops will all of a sudden become much more viable. A 6L gem will carry the same weight as 6L gear now, except every gem will be useful, most being worth more than 1 divine. Plus, the system just makes more sense. It’ll be interesting to see if gear socket colors will be able to be rolled, or if you can only roll the supporting socket colors.
The new system really should be an improvement across a character's whole life; I'm super excited for it. For some reason a lot of people seem confused about how it works (including all of Baeclast right after the announcement) but honestly it just boils down to like 3 things:

1) Equipment still provides sockets, but consistently the same number with the same default colours across the same base class. Colours can be re-rolled at end-game.
2) Active gems or "meta" gems socket into equipment.
3) Supports (and/or active gems in meta gem setups) socket directly into the skill gems, which themselves now have (always linked) sockets.

They clearly explained their design goals doing it this way, as well as a lot of the benefits. During levelling you don't have to worry about fucking up your sockets/links when switching between similar base types. Body armours/2h weapons will no longer have their value conflated with the cost of rolling a 6L. Instead, gems (which are now mostly worthless) will be the items valued for their sockets (5S gems being equivalent to 6L armours). This should normalise the cost of running a build that needs a specific unique armour (Shav's for example) versus some random 6L rare that you can grab for 50c.

Anything you can do with the existing system you should be able to do with the new system, probably with a bit of room to spare, though it's easy to underestimate how much room utility skills can take up. If you try to map an existing character to the new system you can see how much space everything actually takes. Functionally, things don't change all that much, just the constraints are different. You have more opportunity to runs multiple skills with more links, but may or may not benefit largely from doing so versus running additional utility setups (which may not need all those support sockets anyways).
wanna hear something crazy? it's to accommodate console users.
Second-class poe gamer

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info