Why the socket changes?

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
jackof8lades wrote:
Learn? wtf do you mean learn? there is literally nothing to learn in this new system just slap on gear and skills and go.

There was nothing to learn in the old system either.

The socket/linking part of gear, was never one the reasons why PoE's itemization is great. It goes MUCH deeper than that.

They literally said ppl did not understand the system and therefor it needed to be dumbed down, o srry i shall use pr speak as well "streamlined and simplified"
So i guess there was something to learn in the old system afterall.
As for the "it was never one of the reason itemization was great" i completely disagree it's a very unique and limiting system, and yes i see limits as possitve as it makes you think and care about your choices, not being able to do whatever whenever without any cost is a good thing.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
"
jackof8lades wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
No wonder Charan quit and probably many more veteran players (we're too old to want to learn a whole new way to build a character) as it'll be a completely new game build-wise.

Learn? wtf do you mean learn? there is literally nothing to learn in this new system just slap on gear and skills and go.

Are you not thinking clearly? Come PoE 4.0.0 (could be viewed as "End Times" for many players) all our current builds are wrecked to hell and beyond and we'll be starting completely new with build strategy. Oh sure, we'll be way ahead of being a newbie player as we already know the skills and supports and base gear we'll be using for a specific skill, but the fact remains is that all current builds will be pretty much worthless as GGG has to do a huge re-balance on everything and we won't know what support combo will work best with a skill and what gear to use (all gear stats will change) until the dust settles. Lot's of new experimenting to see what support is better with what skill and so forth. Now I love build crafting and it's a huge draw for me (and the principal reason I'm still playing from CB time start) but some will be put off and quit (like Charan did) over the fact that come PoE 2 we won't be doing any 6L gear chasing anymore (like farming for an Oni-Goroshi sword). Farming for enough Jewellers to spam a 6L skill just isn't as appealing as farming a 6L gear. That adrenaline rush when a 6L is crafted or drops (killing Uber Hillock for example) is gone forever with PoE 2.

If you never play any of your Standard league exiles then it won't matter to you. But any Standard League characters are pretty much wrecked and all T1 gear we played a long time to get and highly value sitting in our Standard stashes will be destroyed. All the fun of the hours played to achieve a goal getting a Shavs or Oni-Goroshi or Starforge or any high value item is wiped out forever. That's a huge emotional ouch for many players and we can all sympathize with those players that are quitting do to this massive change.

That's one of the big problems with GGG allowing so much power/speed creep into PoE 1. That build strategy is gone because most skills + support combos work too well and as you said just "slap on gear and skills and go". PoE 3.8.0 isn't about build crafting anymore but just how fast you can go (speed racing and maps per hour) to grind currency and get (hopefully) a few good drops along the way from 1 to 100. Maybe PoE 2, by destroying the 6L gear chase, will force us to have to learn how to build again. Or Maybe it'll just be the same old grind for a 6L skill gem (or grind currency to buy one) and just "slap on gear and go" so nothing really new and exciting will come from this part of PoE.

At least the look of PoE 2 is great and if GGG can overcome performance problems (bad QoP) then maybe I can finally get a 3 party play with my 2 BFFL. But if Networklayer (Internet fiber backbone that Softlayer uses) is still just as bad in 2021 as it is today then I may be joining Charan too by quitting. (Yes, yes, of course I know no one cares... nothing need be said here about that.)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
jackof8lades wrote:
They literally said ppl did not understand the system and therefor it needed to be dumbed down, o srry i shall use pr speak as well "streamlined and simplified"
As for the "it was never one of the reason itemization was great" i completely disagree it's a very unique and limiting system, and yes i see limits as possitve as it makes you think and care about your choices, not being able to do whatever whenever without any cost is a good thing.

There will always be people that don't understand. There will be people that won't understanding the new system too. But why:

1) This item needs sockets and links to socket gear into

should be much easier than

2) This skill gem needs sockets to socket support gems into

is unclear for me. Maybe I'm just stupid. Anyhow, I agree with you when it comes to certain limiting factors being positive. But why it's positive that you can't upgrade a certain piece of gear for 40 levels while leveling, because the one you're wearing happens to have the sockets you need, is beyond me. The current skill system was TOO limiting when it comes to the gear progression of a character while leveling.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
. The current skill system was TOO limiting when it comes to the gear progression of a character while leveling.

Really felt it while leveling melee builds as it's pretty much a requirement to find a weapon upgrade every 5 levels or so to keep dealing decent damage.
It removes a significant cost to swapping items. If you find an item that has slightly better stats, in today's game you have to socket it, link it, and get the right colors to use it in replacement of an existing item. Some people like that cost. It makes them think, and they get their dopamine buzz that way. Some don't. They see it as a frustration.

Items will now be much easier to swap out and more uniform. Ok... I can live with that. It's not a huge change for me.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It removes a significant cost to swapping items. If you find an item that has slightly better stats, in today's game you have to socket it, link it, and get the right colors to use it in replacement of an existing item. Some people like that cost. It makes them think, and they get their dopamine buzz that way. Some don't. They see it as a frustration.

Items will now be much easier to swap out and more uniform. Ok... I can live with that. It's not a huge change for me.

Yeah that is true for me, i am a firm believer of things having to have a cost, i truly think that's a good thing and i enjoy having to make those choices and pay the cost of doing so.

But he maybe i'll like the new system, who knows, these are just my first thoughts on the change and why i don't like them, but i can fully understand why other ppl do.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Last edited by jackof8lades on Nov 21, 2019, 9:26:33 AM
I don't see how Standard builds will be completely wrecked by the gem changes any more than any other league does with extreme balance changes. Other than needing to find six linked gems suddenly, a lot of my gear will (that don't have balance changes that are retroactive to them unrelated to gem changes) still have the modifiers they did.

"
That adrenaline rush when a 6L is crafted or drops (killing Uber Hillock for example) is gone forever with PoE 2.
On the other hand, I think finding six socket gems will be very exciting. Anytime a six socket skill gem drops, that is an entirely new possible build that I could potentially make, which is not always something I can say about an armor or weapon that drops fully linked.
Geeze...getting all worked up over nothing. We have over 1 year before this gets implemented, and GGG always does what they can to grandfather people in. They will likely say something like all skill gems will have as many links as the gear they are currently socketed in. They’re more likely to say all skill gems in your inventory are 6L than 1L. Tabula Rasa will have an extra skill socket from other body armours; Oni-Garroshi will likely receive similar treatment. Fusing will be removed, but jewelers will still roll sockets on gems rather than gear.

Yes builds will change, but even standard must deal with every expansion change. The big question will be how do you obtain meta gems. Drop only or vendor purchase?
"
jackof8lades wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
jackof8lades wrote:

There was nothing to learn in the old system either.

The socket/linking part of gear, was never one the reasons why PoE's itemization is great. It goes MUCH deeper than that.

How the fuck can this be possible?
I understand both systems, but if you ask me which one is more confusing, it's the newer one. The first one is idiot proof, how the fuck do people not get it? Weird people.
"
wallsh1 wrote:
its called "simplification"

If they make the game even half as difficult as they would clearly *like* to, this is going to make designing a build far more complicated, not less. Reaching a similar level of power to what we have now will become easier, but that level of power should no longer be even comparable to the endgame challenges we will face.

Also in the new system, we'll have access to fewer utility skills per build but every utility skill will become more customizable and impactful.

tl;dr you really have no idea what you're saying.

"
lupasvasile wrote:
How the fuck can this be possible?
I understand both systems, but if you ask me which one is more confusing, it's the newer one. The first one is idiot proof, how the fuck do people not get it? Weird people.

He's just making shit up. Note how he can't link a point in the stream where Chris or Jonathan actually said that this system is simpler.

It does streamline gameplay, simply because you don't have to manually socket and link every new piece of gear you care about (gear prices will become as normalized by sockets as Kaom's is). But it doesn't simplify it.
Last edited by codetaku on Nov 21, 2019, 12:58:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info