Why the socket changes?

Gems will be socketed (and I assume fully socketed skill gems will be just as rare as current 6-link things)...

But... why? Is Chris still interested in adding durability to items so they wear out?

Is this a step towards making us less attached to gear so there are fewer tears later when they wear out?

Last bumped on Nov 22, 2019, 11:57:20 PM
So players can have skill diversity instead of only caring about spamming a single 6 linked skill.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Recommend you watch this. It's Jonathan explaining the reasoning in great detail.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Cmooooooooooooooooooon runewords!
its called "simplification"
"Life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience." - Frank Herbert
----------------------------------------
Cause they were tired of having an unique skill system, now gear will just be generic stats just like any other arpg out there.
Same with how the skills will work also very generic and could honestly be from any other arpg out there.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Last edited by jackof8lades on Nov 21, 2019, 12:14:01 AM
This change boosts the fun of easy gear swapping in the beginning of the league during the leveling process. This timeframe is important for GGG to be fun because that's when most purchases are made. In the endgame where your gear is pretty much set in stone, the change will allow you to use multiple 6-linked skills. Under the assumption that 6-socketing the gems is going to be harder than 6-socketing an item but easier than 6-linking an item, this change will also prolong the initial time in a league where you feel progress as a casualish player. Instead of needing to buy / link 1 / 2 items, you'll have to 6-socket 10 or so active skill gems. This smoothens out the progression and makes it a bit longer. Same idea with support gems plus. Even though those are simple powercreep, you'll have to level those which will take a lot of time for the casualish Joe, prolonging his League progress time.
"
jackof8lades wrote:
Cause they were tired of having an unique skill system, now gear will just be generic stats just like any other arpg out there.
Same with how the skills will work also very generic and could honestly be from any other arpg out there.
What are you even talking about? The skill system itself is largely unchanged, aside from stuff like the new meta gem(s) that are coming. Supports will go into skills and some skills will be able to go into some supports, instead of everything having to go into a limited number of linked sets of item sockets.

Players will absolutely be able to continue on with a one-trick pony main skill build loaded with triggers and auras. Or mix it up in ways that simply aren't useful or viable right now.

I'm looking forward to all the build potential there more than just about anything else they announced, to be honest.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Nov 21, 2019, 12:47:12 AM
"
SudianX wrote:
But... why?

- So you can actually wear upgrades you find without spending 200 jewelers and fusings?

- So your skills remain on your toolbar no matter what you do with your gear?

- Because it's a good change?

- Because the current skill gem system isn't that good?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Just streamlines the game.

nothing worse than spending 1k+ fusing to get a nice 6-link, just to get something with better mods an hour later, you have to spend another 1k fusings to 6-link.

Removes a lot of the barrier for upgrading on the fly too., something drops, it's better than you have,m you cab use it right away, without spending x=jewelers, y-fusings, z-chromes just to make it somewhat usable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info