[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

"
anton2k4 wrote:
"
"
anton2k4 wrote:
decided to go with vortex as my league starter since i liked the idea of playing around the bosses' mechanics. switched from life/es to CI at around mid 80s, switched to LL once I was able to get a 6l shav. i was able to get a fractured +1 to cold for only 40c and managed to hit t2 cold dot multi after 4 essences. currently, i'm doing 3.1 sirus dps on my vortex according to POB. I opted for malediction instead of vile bastion since i am still using a chayula amulet though i still have to craft an unset ring in order to run a hextouch brand setup. currently sitting at just over 8.2k ES and i haven't had any issues with maps so far. i went pretty defensive with 2 vile reinvigorations and 2 brush with deaths as well as zealot's oath with vitality.

i'm not really sure if i should drop wicked ward as it's a nice way to get back to tanking boss hits when ES recharge starts again. so far i've done shaper, elder, shaper and elder guardians with Maven watching and it hasn't been an issue. i've done the shaper and elder guardian maven fight and i have to admit, it's nice being able to focus solely on dodging attacks while vortex drops everywhere. it isn't the fastest mapper or boss killer, but it's one of the safest builds for a reactive playstyle.

question - we need some flat fire damage on our gear to ignite using cinderswallow urn, correct?

We use it to recover ES (and a bit of mana) in packs. Cobsuming ignited corpses isn't necessary.

i'm an idiot. forgot that you don't need to ignite mobs for the mana/es/life on kill effect. haha!

played around with my items a bit more and managed to replace the topaz with the unset. this allowed me to go double curse via hextouch with storm brand and as a bonus, allowed me to add aspect of the spider to the build. this pumped up the sirus dps to 3.57m with only a loss of 100 es

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to sell the sceptre? It worth a lot and some pieces of your gear are really bad (gloves, for example).
"

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to sell the sceptre? It worth a lot and some pieces of your gear are really bad (gloves, for example).

the scepter is going to be used for quite some time as i'm doubtful i'd be able to craft a better one without dumping my currency into it. the gloves will be replaced in due time, probably when i replace my chayula down the road. it's not the best but i sorely need the dex, ES and resistances it provides
Is vile bastion a waste of ascendancy passive when I have a chayula amulet?
"
ThePimpShrimp wrote:

It's not if you struggle with survivability (till you take first Large Cluster and Cinderswallow).
"
"
ThePimpShrimp wrote:

It's not if you struggle with survivability (till you take first Large Cluster and Cinderswallow).

I have cinderswallow so that's fine. What do you mean by first large cluster?
I sometimes still get oneshot but I believe cinderswallow replaces vile bastion by a large portion right?
"
Very confusing part in your guide, in EE part you're saying you should use Frost Bomb - Storm Brand - Orb of Storms, in gem links you're saying you should use Frostbite instead of Frost Bomb, what is the intended option there

I had a similar question. I think that's an older part of the guide that needs an update, although maybe with the buffs to frost bomb there could be a reason to run it on the wand? Maybe retain frostbite as a manual cast with the auras?

anyone know?

"
BigJules wrote:
"
Very confusing part in your guide, in EE part you're saying you should use Frost Bomb - Storm Brand - Orb of Storms, in gem links you're saying you should use Frostbite instead of Frost Bomb, what is the intended option there

I had a similar question. I think that's an older part of the guide that needs an update, although maybe with the buffs to frost bomb there could be a reason to run it on the wand? Maybe retain frostbite as a manual cast with the auras?

anyone know?

Frostbite is in the wand setup for CI builds, as your gloves are full with Vaal Disc, Vaal RF, Malevolence and Enlighten.

The part that mentions using Frostbomb in EE now applies to the LL setup where you run the auras in your gloves (including Frostbite) and that opens the spot in your weapon for Frost Bomb/Tempest Shield/something else of your liking as mentioned in gem links.

It must be hard to keep the guide updated and update all of the sections so they keep in Harmony so I guess some discrepancies slip through, or aren't explained better.
I'm struggling with the build a bit, i'm still in CI mode and struggling with dps on bosses, particularly those who are fairly mobile and will not stay in the vortex. So far I've failed miserably A3 Cirus, Vaal temple and maven watched eradicator of all things. I can get the fights to the last phase, but then I can't finish them. And it takes so long that eventually I die to something. POB lists my vortex dot DPS at 1.2M so you'd think it would be ok but it feels like it's not. What am I doing wrong? I like the build and would like to progress with it, but I don't have the currency to spend on getting a shav and trying LL, and I think I should be having more success that I am having at these levels.

The answer could of course just be "git good" but if that's the case then I need to switch to something more braindead, as I am not the best player.

Here's my pastebin and my profile should be public. Thanks for the help.

https://pastebin.com/7hbTDv5h
"
kingkano wrote:
"
BigJules wrote:
"

anyone know?

Frostbite is in the wand setup for CI builds, as your gloves are full with Vaal Disc, Vaal RF, Malevolence and Enlighten.

The part that mentions using Frostbomb in EE now applies to the LL setup where you run the auras in your gloves (including Frostbite) and that opens the spot in your weapon for Frost Bomb/Tempest Shield/something else of your liking as mentioned in gem links.

It must be hard to keep the guide updated and update all of the sections so they keep in Harmony so I guess some discrepancies slip through, or aren't explained better.

Thank you that makes sense.
Hi everyone, I have a couple of basic questions regarding this build. I enjoy it a lot, I spent more than 100 hours with it this league and hope to spend more but I don't understand the numbers I get from PoB to be able to answer them myself.

1) This is my PoB: https://pastebin.com/2zZxdZVj I see basically a half of damage values (1M DoT DPS) in comparison with the build guide (CI version, 1.9M DoT DPS). I understand that some of my gear is suboptimal which can explain some reduction in numbers but the difference is bigger than I expected. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I misconfigured something in PoB because otherwise mapping in T16s feels like a joke. Boss dmg is ok too I guess although it could be better. Any idea about what I am missing here? Is my gear really that trash or I just suck at PoB?

2) The guide recommends Vaal Discipline + Vaal Righteous Fire + Malevolence + Enlighten together in one item slot. I was using Frostbite + Malevolence + Blasphemy + Enlighten and it felt awesome but when I switched to the recommended setup, mapping feels so much worse and less smooth. I guess Vaal RF is great for bosses but it is such a huge drop in quality of life that I am considering switching back to my original setup. Do you think Vaal RF is really worth the QoL decrease?

3) Any ideas about what the next gear improvement focus point should be?

I would appreciate any feedback from the Vortex veterans here, thanks.
Last edited by deimoss98 on Feb 2, 2021, 10:10:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info