Cyclone CWC Blade Vortex ((About 20mill+ Shaper dps with everything up)

I decided to play softcore - i don't have enough time to dedicate to this league as I usually do.

I'm leveling essence drain atm, but the aoe seems weak - should I be running contagion as well? Or just wait for Bane? Also, what links should I be running with ED and bane?

Thanks.
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
"
Edzilla wrote:
I decided to play softcore - i don't have enough time to dedicate to this league as I usually do.

I'm leveling essence drain atm, but the aoe seems weak - should I be running contagion as well? Or just wait for Bane? Also, what links should I be running with ED and bane?

Thanks.

Yeah you should always run Essence Drain with Contagion. Should be quick enough to get to lvl24 though and get Bane.

With Essence Drain in a Tabula use:

- Void Manipulation
- Swift Affliction
- Efficacy
- Arcane Surge

You can also try leveling purely with Contagion as the damage should be enough with a Tabula and a few supports until lvl24. Just use Essence Drain for the bosses.

Link Bane to the same supports and also Despair.
Last edited by SaiyanZ on Sep 26, 2019, 1:44:06 PM
I've done a bit more thinking about the build. If you're a lazy player like me, Plaguebearer is probably annoying to keep pressing every 8 seconds and if you don't use it it's a 20% less damage multiplier.

On top of that, because it also is killing things before you can hit them and doesn't poison, you end up getting a lot fewer "poisons applied recently". This potentially can hinder the dps a lot because instead of "50 poisons applied recently" when going into a boss fight, you can have just "20 poisons applied recently".

So I will drop it and free up the socket for something else as the build is socket starved. Kind of weird that this build is probably the best for Plaguebearer you can get but it ends up being more of a hindrance because the non-Plaguebearer dps is so huge.

Plaguebearer stacks fill up to 1000k on a single mob for me now but I'm lazy to press it as it's basically another flask with AOE damage and less damage multiplier if I don't press it. The Plaguebearer dps is only 125k base and I think it probably gets to around 300k dps with all the debuffs. So it's ok and clears on it's own but it's also holding back the power of the build a bit by reducing the number of poisons from Cyclone and Blade Vortex which combined hit a single mob 13 times a second. To put it in perspective my poisons from Blade Vortex are stacking up at about 4mill per second so 300k dps is nothing.

Have some other plans for the free socket once I save up a few exalts.

Another thing to note about Plaguebearer is how it switches on and off. You can turn it off prematurely before the 8 seconds are up. In that case you then have to press it again immediately to start another 8 second countdown. If you press it after the 8 seconds are up then it's fine but you have a 20% less damage multiplier in that dead time. So it's annoying to manage as you have to make sure you don't press it too early or you have to press it twice instead of once. I don't like to think too much when mapping. Save the thinking for PoB.
Last edited by SaiyanZ on Sep 26, 2019, 2:26:00 PM
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Digging in a bit more, Hunter's Gambit was worth getting on the tree for 4 skill points even though the 3 points leading up to it do nothing. It's a 10% multiplier after everything so it's worth it.

The only other node on the tree with "poisons deal damage faster" is Swift Venom so I took that. With these two nodes the build has essentially added another 15% more damage and the ramp up to max damage is 15% faster. Also respecced out of Perfect Agonay as will rely on the flask and took the life nodes on the right hand side of tree. So HP is still the same with the tweak.

Updated PoB: https://pastebin.com/CwxV5ZLK

Also now have the PoB update that includes anointed nodes. So vs non-shaper targets:

- 10 stack BV with 53.8m dps
- Vaal BV with 32.2m dps
- Shockwave totems with 10m dps each.

Think this is the most efficient tree whilst getting all the juicy nodes and decent life. Probably can improve the life with a couple of good jewels but ones with dps as well will be expensive.

Shaper DPS is the measuring stick which you should be using. Once you remove all the DPS fluff that's been put in PoB like shock it is more like 11m Shaper dps. This is by no means low. This is once all the poison stacks are up so it may take some time to ramp to that but it is still respectable.

Plaguebearer is a nice boost to clear speed, and more DPS cant hurt. Especially when blights are hit or miss depending on the layouts.

I don't think hunter's gambit is needed in all honesty. You have enough damage, why not stick those 4 nodes into survivability nodes?

Because of the survivability issues I went with Acro & Phase acro, grace, aspect of the spider, and the scion life group. 4.5k life 400ES.
I've got 8m Shaper DPS and 50% evade, 75% atk dodge, 75% spell dodge.
Mistwalker instead of deadly infusion too, it's an excellent node.

I've got to tweak the final PoB and I'll upload, its rough but I've comfortably killed shaper with the build.
I'll need to try shockwave totems for blights but I need a strength node.
"
Dicejar wrote:
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Digging in a bit more, Hunter's Gambit was worth getting on the tree for 4 skill points even though the 3 points leading up to it do nothing. It's a 10% multiplier after everything so it's worth it.

The only other node on the tree with "poisons deal damage faster" is Swift Venom so I took that. With these two nodes the build has essentially added another 15% more damage and the ramp up to max damage is 15% faster. Also respecced out of Perfect Agonay as will rely on the flask and took the life nodes on the right hand side of tree. So HP is still the same with the tweak.

Also now have the PoB update that includes anointed nodes. So vs non-shaper targets:

- Vaal BV with 32.2m dps

Think this is the most efficient tree whilst getting all the juicy nodes and decent life. Probably can improve the life with a couple of good jewels but ones with dps as well will be expensive.

Shaper DPS is the measuring stick which you should be using. Once you remove all the DPS fluff that's been put in PoB like shock it is more like 11m Shaper dps. This is by no means low. This is once all the poison stacks are up so it may take some time to ramp to that but it is still respectable.

Plaguebearer is a nice boost to clear speed, and more DPS cant hurt. Especially when blights are hit or miss depending on the layouts.

I don't think hunter's gambit is needed in all honesty. You have enough damage, why not stick those 4 nodes into survivability nodes?

Because of the survivability issues I went with Acro & Phase acro, grace, aspect of the spider, and the scion life group. 4.5k life 400ES.

I've got to tweak the final PoB and I'll upload, its rough but I've comfortably killed shaper with the build.

I checked the shock is correct in PoB as it's what Skitterbots give. 20% shock + 20% effectiveness from their quality. So it's a 24% shock which is always up, even on bosses. So the only stuff that might not be up which is ticked is 15 wither stacks as it's unlikely something will last long enough to be able to reach it. Edit: Oh and the frenzy charges but they should be up for any non-phased boss.

Could drop Hunter's Gambit and spend those 4 points to get two jewels with life. Will see much later as it it a big more multiplier which also reduces the dps ramp up time. There's also no more life nodes close enough to take for 4 points.

Wanted to take Mistwalker but the only thing it really gives is 8% reduced damage taken and some dodge chance that ranges from 24% to 0%. The build doesn't benefit from the attack/cast speed or the movement speed. Soul of Solaris Pantheon which we take is almost as good as "take no extra damage from crits". If the build can survive one crit then it works just as well. So I didn't take Mistwalker because most of the stuff is obsolete. Whereas the build makes full use of Deadly Infusion damage. The faster you kill things the less time they have to attack. It does make sense to take Mistwalker if trying to get high dodge though. I don't really like relying on dodge much. Even when capped it's still 25% chance you will die with all the investment.

It's also possible to just get Elusive from Withering Step which gives 29% dodge initially. Just have to make sure that Blade Vortex is wound up to max, focus is up, before engaging boss. Withering Step must be the last button pressed to keep the dodge active. It takes 3.5 seconds to reach 10 stacks of BV and each stack lasts 6 seconds for me. So there is 2.5 seconds where 10 stacks will be maintained without channeling and I can have 29% dodge which runs down with zero investment.

Also think Plaguebearer is reducing the survivability as well during mapping by killing things as you don't get as much benefit from the 0.5% life recovered per poison on enemy. With Blade Vortex and Cyclone hitting so often, this almost feels like instant leech during a map. If Plaguebearer kills things then you don't get many hits out and recover much less life on kill.

Last edited by SaiyanZ on Sep 26, 2019, 5:04:18 PM
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
"
Dicejar wrote:
"
SaiyanZ wrote:

- Vaal BV with 32.2m dps

I checked the shock is correct in PoB as it's what Skitterbots give. 20% shock + 20% effectiveness from their quality. So it's a 24% shock which is always up, even on bosses. So the only stuff that might not be up which is ticked is 15 wither stacks as it's unlikely something will last long enough to be able to reach it. Edit: Oh and the frenzy charges but they should be up for any non-phased boss.

Could drop Hunter's Gambit and spend those 4 points to get two jewels with life. Will see much later as it it a big more multiplier which also reduces the dps ramp up time. There's also no more life nodes close enough to take for 4 points.

Wanted to take Mistwalker but the only thing it really gives is 8% reduced damage taken and some dodge chance that ranges from 24% to 0%. The build doesn't benefit from the attack/cast speed or the movement speed. Soul of Solaris Pantheon which we take is almost as good as "take no extra damage from crits". If the build can survive one crit then it works just as well. So I didn't take Mistwalker because most of the stuff is obsolete. Whereas the build makes full use of Deadly Infusion damage. The faster you kill things the less time they have to attack. It does make sense to take Mistwalker if trying to get high dodge though. I don't really like relying on dodge much. Even when capped it's still 25% chance you will die with all the investment.

It's also possible to just get Elusive from Withering Step which gives 29% dodge initially. Just have to make sure that Blade Vortex is wound up to max, focus is up, before engaging boss. Withering Step must be the last button pressed to keep the dodge active. It takes 3.5 seconds to reach 10 stacks of BV and each stack lasts 6 seconds for me. So there is 2.5 seconds where 10 stacks will be maintained without channeling and I can have 29% dodge which runs down with zero investment.

Also think Plaguebearer is reducing the survivability as well during mapping by killing things as you don't get as much benefit from the 0.5% life recovered per poison on enemy. With Blade Vortex and Cyclone hitting so often, this almost feels like instant leech during a map. If Plaguebearer kills things then you don't get many hits out and recover much less life on kill.

Aye the skitterbots shock, I believe PoB applies a flat 50% instead of 24%. may be wrong there.

As mentioned, elusive helps me max out dodge which feels great with the amount of projectiles flying around while you dive head first into a pack with BV/cyclone. I've got the same boots because flying with cyclone feels better than quicksilvers, movement buff from elusive isn't the priority, just some dodge and phasing for delves.
A lot of the dodge/phasing/AoE from WS is for delve, this build excels at it in my opinion.

Incidentally, i use withering step to apply wither stacks to bosses. I do have the totems but flashing withering step Lv21 puts 7 stacks on the boss immediately, its really useful.

Good point on the Plaguebearer, i'll take it into consideration for mapping.

Also, why swift venoms over toxic strikes? isn't swift less damage? I assume you are going for poison speed.
Last edited by Dicejar on Sep 26, 2019, 5:25:07 PM
"
Dicejar wrote:

Aye the skitterbots shock, I believe PoB applies a flat 50% instead of 24%. may be wrong there.

As mentioned, elusive helps me max out dodge which feels great with the amount of projectiles flying around while you dive head first into a pack with BV/cyclone. I've got the same boots because flying with cyclone feels better than quicksilvers, movement buff from elusive isn't the priority, just some dodge and phasing for delves.
A lot of the dodge/phasing/AoE from WS is for delve, this build excels at it in my opinion.

Incidentally, i use withering step to apply wither stacks to bosses. I do have the totems but flashing withering step Lv21 puts 7 stacks on the boss immediately, its really useful.

Good point on the Plaguebearer, i'll take it into consideration for mapping.

Also, why swift venoms over toxic strikes? isn't swift less damage? I assume you are going for poison speed.

Yeah I initially also though the shock was fixed at 50% on PoB but after doing the math by ticking and un-ticking it, it's 24% increased damage vs a Shaper target. So pretty much what Skitterbots shock gives. Unless my math is wrong because the increased damage taken from shock is additive with the increased damage taken from Despair instead of multiplicative. I always thought shock was multiplicative after everything else. Though worst case scenario if it is actually 50%, the dps will drop by 12% which if half of what 50% shock gives.

To kill things faster with less ramp up time the dps figure to increase in PoB is the per "poison DPS". That's what each hit of Blade Vortex does and it hits 8 times a second. That's the figure that keeps stacking until the poison duration's expire to get the "total damage per poison". So the "total damage per poison" gets inflated easily by lots of poison duration which is why Toxic Strikes looks so good.

Swift Venom is a 5% more multiplier for the "poison DPS". Hunter's Gambit is a 10% more multiplier for it. Dirty Techniques is a 5% more multiplier as well and is still the best well rounded node to take. So these nodes are what really matter when things die long before any poison expires.

It's also why Swift Affliction gem is going to be better than Unbound Ailments gem for anything that dies before the first poison expires because it has an extra 8% more damage. PoB total damage will be less but you'll be doing more dps in those first 8 seconds or so and nothing lasts that long so Swift Affliction is almost always going to be better. Swapping that gem out will require 5 green sockets though which is costly/RNG.

Last edited by SaiyanZ on Sep 26, 2019, 6:33:43 PM
Pretty nice build, planning to do something similar right now. Considering the high amount of dps present I guess it would be more beneficial to spare the four somewhat weak nodes near the shadow start (Entropy and Will of Blades) and go for two more jewels. One for a quality of life Watchers Eye with flask charges on crit with precision for always having full flasks at ~30c and a blinding abyss jewel. For the second one I am not sure if it will be very usefull though as it seems everything is dead too fast, so maybe just another es/life jewel or just take the two missing life/evasion nodes instead.

Also considering the high hit rate of BV or Cyclone it might be nice to also try to include a life gain on hit with attacks or spells ring, I will try to use one. Hard to balance good rings with that mod and other strong stats of course.

For other people leveling this, taking the -3 mana cost while channeling node is a strong node before everything mana related is solved by items, after which they can be removed. Just three points for a nicer leveling experience.

YAY/NAY?
reporting in:
lvl 70, cleared vaal temple, died once. cleared the blight in it too. not even done uber lab yet. wearing a +2 tabula btw and using a lvl 17 blade vortex.

pretty strong build imho. went for phase acro instead of MoM though.

thanks for sharing, im enjoying it. probably gonne be stuck at lvl 91-92 because of deaths though. amybe respeccing to something more durable if i hit that wall. will report back in in 20 levels :P

edit: not sure if shockwave totems is really worth it. needs alot of strengh...and i didnt even use them so far

edit2: done uberlab now too. thoughts about opportunistic? i kinde like the 20% more damage.
Last edited by Mathorg on Sep 28, 2019, 6:04:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info