[3.20] Ice Dancing Queen - Icestorm/Cyclone/CI - Viable For Everything

"
LiNGeN wrote:

Just tested this to Act 5, it works well. Although you'd have to drop something out of the Spellslinger such as Wintertide Brand because of the new 30% mana reservation override.

No, because Wintertide Brand doesn't reserve any mana. If I am doing the math correctly, the total reserved is (1.4*1.3 + 1.3)*.3 = 94% (rounded.) Whether that's enough mana to chain cast power siphon is TBD.

The number of alt orbs needed is annoying. Just means opening most of the chests you come across.

You will need a level ~13 (for .27) SPELLSLINGER, and add FORK SUPPORT to CREEPING FROST, if you still can't find a WI at that point. Your mana reservation will be 99% so you may need to keep your POWER SIPHON level low. It's probably best just to not bother with FORK.

Please refer back to the original post on page 415 -- I'll be correcting that list as I find more errors in it.
Last edited by Graiaule on Sep 18, 2020, 11:40:26 AM
"
Oldern365 wrote:
So just to reconfirm: is awakened GMP a no-no?
Should not it increase the total number or projectiles in the storm?

Icestorm is not a projectile skill.
Hmm, I just realized with the duration changes, it's going to be difficult to even hit the 25 ice shards example I used earlier.

I'm looking at my char in game right now and it's got a 5.70 duration with 2,837 int.

We're losing .5s base duration and it's going from +.15 per int to +.10 per int.

This means after the patch I'd be sitting at around 3.84s per storm duration.

3.84 / 0.2 per shard impact rate = 19.2 shards.

Is that right? Am I only getting 19 shard impacts per storm??

So basically I get 95 ice shards (19x5), and then the 96th one overwrites the 1st?

Gezuz, this is even worse than I thought.

Or am I missing something?

And, if this is correct, then wouldn't adding things like Potency of Will and Exceptional Performance and an Increased Duration gem be the only way to get additional ice shards before they begin overwriting each other?
"
SkylerOG wrote:
Hmm, I just realized with the duration changes, it's going to be difficult to even hit the 25 ice shards example I used earlier.

I'm looking at my char in game right now and it's got a 5.70 duration with 2,837 int.

We're losing .5s base duration and it's going from +.15 per int to +.10 per int.

So basically I get 95 ice shards (19x5), and then the 96th one overwrites the 1st?

And, if this is correct, then wouldn't adding things like Potency of Will and Exceptional Performance and an Increased Duration gem be the only way to get additional ice shards before they begin overwriting each other?

From what I understod, 96th shard is not going to owerwrite the 1st shard but 6th storm is going to owerwrite the 1st storm. so you are going to get 5 shards per 0.2sec. This means 95 shards per 3.8sec, no matter what the actual duration of storm is as long as you keep refreshing storms so that you have 5 on all the time. Longer duration just means old storms will linger longer if you do other stuff than new storms.
"
SkylerOG wrote:

Potency of Will alone will be enough, I think. 19.2*1.45 = 27.84 shards. We normally take that anyway and didn't spec out of it until late game (before.) Guess we keep it now.
what if we add totems? will each totem have its own 5 storms limit or will they all share the same limit?
have finally gotten used to the lab... I dont hate it anymore.:)
My understanding is that we will be limited to to 5 storms in total irrespective of of how they are cast.
"
My understanding is that we will be limited to to 5 storms in total irrespective of of how they are cast.

Yes, that is what patch notes say. Graiaule and SkylerOG have totally misunderstod how it works and that increased duration won't help with dps. Unöess you are slow at refreshing storms.
"
SkylerOG wrote:
I just ran a ton of maps with Frostbolt as that additional spell.

5-linked my WI staff with Cyclone + Awakened CWC + Awakened Ele Focus + Awakened Controlled Destruction + Frostbolt. And then Conc Effect on it's own.

Then added Frozen Trail jewel in the socket NW of EE (need 40 int in radius to trigger +2 frostbolts), so with 3.33 trigger rate, I'm getting around 10 Frostbolts per second on top of my ice storms.

Then I moved Vortex to 6L body with Bonechill + lvl 14 Arcane Surge (which is just 2 vortex casts to proc) + Awakened Swift Affliction + Awakened Controlled Destruction + Conc Effect.

Then moved Elemental Weakness + Frostbite + Enfeeble to a 4L with Bane to apply all 3 curses in one very quick cast on a huge AoE radius.

You don't even need Spell Cascade for clearing. The Frostbolts are flying everywhere and Vortexes are dropping all over the place with ~3 second duration and quite potent cold DoT's.

You can literally hold down Cyclone and Vortex together seamlessly with zero interruption or slowdown to ice storms.

Give it a shot. It works and is tons of added DPS between the Frostbolts and the Vortex DoT's. Your entire screen fills up with them.

I just tried this. The major weak point in this setup is Bane. It's 0.46 sec cast. Having to stop to cast it all the time feels super clunky.

With The Stampede, I keep outrunning the Frostbolts making them irrelevant. I get to a monster pack ahead of me, and my Icestorm already does all the damage before the Frostbolts reach it.

Another issue is a big drop in safety. Automatic CWDT curses are wonderful.

The damage from the constant Frostbolt and Vortex spam is not that great compared to Icestorm. Replacing Frostbolt with Inc AoE actually increased my clear speed. However, this is still without the 5 storm limit.

And against bosses this whole setup was noticeably worse than the classic. You can swap the staff, but you can't swap the curse and vortex links.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Sep 18, 2020, 12:55:34 PM
While waiting, can somebody explain the Wave of Conviction usage? It deals Physical, Fire and Lightning damage and applies exposure (-25% resist) to the element that ends up dealing the highest damage. How does this help us? Or will it work with Herald of Ice that adds more flat cold than the fire/lightning from WoC itself?
Last edited by Kelvynn on Sep 18, 2020, 2:32:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info