Animation Feedback

Notajoo: This is on the list to do! The character creation screen will also get a subtle outline highlight as you hover the characters, and a bit more of a prison theme going on very soon.
Omnitect of Wraeclast
I didn't meant to just be negative, as I do like the art style in general and the little I've seen so far of the effects. I just thought I'd throw that out there since it's one of the first things I saw in the little time I had to test this morning. I'm glad it's being worked on and I can't wait to see the newer version.

Also though, I have to agree with some of the other posters about the "effortless" look of the animations on some characters. I played the marauder for about an hour, and I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is wrong, but it just seems like he isn't REALLY hitting hard, animation wise. I hear the sounds and I see the mob interrupted, but his animation just doesn't match the impact that it should have imo. As I test more and get to using skills I can give more specific feedback as I know that's kind of useless as is. I thought it worth mentioning though.
[0.9.3d]
The casting animation of the witch is a little too much. The way her leg unnaturally shoots back, i think it could be toned down a little, because when you're spamming spells it doesn't look good.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Nov 18, 2011, 11:31:25 PM
I just didnt like the character using one attack animation over and over again. Shouldnt there be weapon swings from different sides or angles, just to make it a bit realistic. It get's a bit repetitive hitting one same spot after some time. :)
"
Notajoo wrote:

I played the marauder for about an hour, and I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is wrong, but it just seems like he isn't REALLY hitting hard, animation wise. I hear the sounds and I see the mob interrupted, but his animation just doesn't match the impact that it should have imo.

My marauder was lvl 7 in HC before killing it off to transfer HC stuff to the wimpy league. It just looked fake like actors rehearsing for a fight scene. This is the only animation flaw I've found. There were Sacred players who wouldn't play the Dark Elf because the run was so weird. GGG has nailed the movement animation IMO.
Purringcat Clan-DA Staff
Why does GGG hate Rangers so much. They used to be fun, now it's just constant kiting.
Raise Spectre on Dark Animator, it had a swirl around his hands that looked weird. It's like the swirl was replicated 3-4 times. I don't know if it's intended or not. I noticed the effect when i animated him through Raise Spectre, don't know if the same effect occurs on un-animated ones, since they move around quicker etc.

http://i.imgur.com/hy9rn.jpg

SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Dec 1, 2011, 7:56:17 AM
Hi everyone, first post on the forums here :)

I'm lvl 17 now and quite enjoy the game so far. But what's been bugging me the most up until now where the animations, or the lack of.

Animations can make for a lot more than graphics, and to me matter a lot more then a nifty 3d-engine with cr00zy effects and stuff (forcing me to buy a new PC °_°).

That being said, I haven't been enjoying my duelist as much as I could have. A few variations in attack- and skill animations would help a lot.

As it is now, the characters feel... stiff. The running, the attacking, the switch between different animations... everything feels kinda storky (is that even a word?)
Because, in the end, the thing we will be looking at for 99% of our PoE time is our chars, and thus I feel they should look as good as possible.

Also the boss of Act I (Marv...?) reminded me a lot of Diablo II's Andariel... by moving as crappy as she did, 10 or so years ago 8[

Hope I didn't sound too harsh :)

Edit: Oh, one more thing! Great job on the tentacle-things in the passage in Act I! They're moving so damn snakeish, they're giving me the creeps! And they continue to do so when dieing and they always come in swarms and everything's twisting and twirling and gah! Can't even think about them!
Last edited by Entelechy on Dec 6, 2011, 1:47:12 PM
"
Entelechy wrote:
Hi everyone, first post on the forums here :)

I'm lvl 17 now and quite enjoy the game so far. But what's been bugging me the most up until now where the animations, or the lack of.

Animations can make for a lot more than graphics, and to me matter a lot more then a nifty 3d-engine with cr00zy effects and stuff (forcing me to buy a new PC °_°).

That being said, I haven't been enjoying my duelist as much as I could have. A few variations in attack- and skill animations would help a lot.

As it is now, the characters feel... stiff. The running, the attacking, the switch between different animations... everything feels kinda storky (is that even a word?)
Because, in the end, the thing we will be looking at for 99% of our PoE time is our chars, and thus I feel they should look as good as possible.

Also the boss of Act I (Marv...?) reminded me a lot of Diablo II's Andariel... by moving as crappy as she did, 10 or so years ago 8[

Hope I didn't sound too harsh :)

Edit: Oh, one more thing! Great job on the tentacle-things in the passage in Act I! They're moving so damn snakeish, they're giving me the creeps! And they continue to do so when dieing and they always come in swarms and everything's twisting and twirling and gah! Can't even think about them!

we're going to be adding more attack variations whenever we have the time. recently there where maul and staff attacks added and sword attacks where punched up as well as spell cast animations changed to a few characters but it's something that is always being polished.

The Duelist has been the character that has got the most critisim so we are currently doing a full re rig and an extensive animation upgrade. the change between animation thing is a big expensive problem that won't be able to be fixed for sometime unfortunatly.

I'm aware of how important animation is to the look and feel of a game and that more content makes a big difference but there is a whole lot to do and i'm just one guy so bare with me while we get everything upto scratch.

Thanks for the feedback it's always appreciated

animator
Hello Ari,

I like a lot of work in PoE..some animations are great but I know for you it's more useful when we tell you, what we don't like.

I am doing some rigs and animations too so I know how complicated is makes everything right. But I have one specific thing I really don't like.

I believe characters are lacking a "hit and impact" feel. While good swing animations are important, what I miss are proper aggressive looking battle stances. I think you shouldn't be afraid to exaggerated these stances a bit. Both my templar and duelist just don't have this "I am ready to fight feel" ... They both seems to be just walking in some LalalalaLAND and sometimes beat something with stick over the head.

This is probably my biggest issue with animations. I really believe you should really try exaggerated battle stance at least for one character and try it how it feels.. In long run, it will be worth.
"
ManiaCCC wrote:
Hello Ari,

I like a lot of work in PoE..some animations are great but I know for you it's more useful when we tell you, what we don't like.

I am doing some rigs and animations too so I know how complicated is makes everything right. But I have one specific thing I really don't like.

I believe characters are lacking a "hit and impact" feel. While good swing animations are important, what I miss are proper aggressive looking battle stances. I think you shouldn't be afraid to exaggerated these stances a bit. Both my templar and duelist just don't have this "I am ready to fight feel" ... They both seems to be just walking in some LalalalaLAND and sometimes beat something with stick over the head.

This is probably my biggest issue with animations. I really believe you should really try exaggerated battle stance at least for one character and try it how it feels.. In long run, it will be worth.

Hi,

The Idle poses have been a major issue for me, the problem is that the idle poses where established by a previous animator so changing them involves tweaking every player animation by hand because all animations have to start and end in idle pose. we haven't had the time to start this task until recently.

Templar and Duelist could definitely use more aggressive stances and the Maurader looks like he's having a bowel movement most of the time. At the moment the characters have a very square on stance so it's been a challenge trying to get momentum and power in the animations especially becasue the melee attacks are stationary.

A great observation ManiaCCC it's the biggest problem in weak looking animations.

animator

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info