Animation Feedback

My char selection impressions:

is it just me, or the animation of marauder (in char selection) seems like he is looking at the roof not the player? It feels somehow wrong (maybe that's the point :) )

Also ranger when "idle" (after the moving part of the animation) feels like she is unnaturally "calm" (lack of natural movement as human being - like breathing) then you just notice that the movement is minimal and in that idle stance she is missing a few frames of animation (in the loop of the idle stance, the end position of the ranger ins't the same as the start position of the loop).

- edit for the ranger -
it seems that the "loose" frame isn't always happening (u notice it after 20 sec of looking, making me belive that maybe my pc is at fault

Witch felt like a doll. Unnatural calmness (in idle) and (in the moving part) moving like she is on strings (like Pinocchio :) ). Rly a disturbing vibe from her.

- edit for the witch-
also water pouring behind her makes her right arm look as it has been smudged (not sure if that is the word but if you look you will notice that something is out of place). Same for her right leg (ankle to be precise).

maybe she is too close (distance) to the water effect (other chars are a bit further from the water effect thus the smudging effect is much less noticeable)

Duelist's animations were not elastic and graceful. Can not pinpoint the exact problem but they just felt rigid and unnatural. I felt more like a brute forcing it's muscles and body to the max, instead of the dance (with adding power just in the right moment as the strike is to be completed).

Notice : I have a 1366x768 resolution on my display (playing from a notebook, thou all is on max settings)
Kristen for president! :)
Last edited by noirtenshin on Apr 30, 2012, 4:06:44 AM
Just wanted to toss my 2 cents here, animations feel great. Feel is a key word, though. The violence is really, really well translated through these animations, and while they aren't particularly realistic, they do their job just fine. This is the only action RPG where I actually enjoy hitting stuff with 2handed axes. This is a big thing for me, because it has never really happened before. Also, death animations are quite satisfying, especially when there's lots of humanoids and I am making a nice pile of them. It's just awesome.
Games were better when devs didn't listen to player feedback.
"
Avireyn wrote:
"
zriL wrote:

Yes ! Make the bonepiles become skeletons sometimes instead of loots :D

Genius idea :-).
Just add a subset of "trapped" bonepiles (not distinguishable from normal ones until klicked):
Add a random timer (1-5 seconds) after which the former bone pile comes to horrid un-life.

Those skeletons (since they're prone to be encountered when alone) could even have a unique subset of abilities (why am I thinking of skeletal hands holding the PCs feet, rooting him/her?) or be at least "blue" in terms of difficulty.

I have been thinking the exact same thing. All corpses and bone piles should have a what, 10% chance to come alive. That would make looting the dead more unnerving, and exiting. They should also have a higher chance of being higher difficulty rating.
"
Froysadal wrote:
"
Avireyn wrote:
"
zriL wrote:

Yes ! Make the bonepiles become skeletons sometimes instead of loots :D

Genius idea :-).
Just add a subset of "trapped" bonepiles (not distinguishable from normal ones until klicked):
Add a random timer (1-5 seconds) after which the former bone pile comes to horrid un-life.

Those skeletons (since they're prone to be encountered when alone) could even have a unique subset of abilities (why am I thinking of skeletal hands holding the PCs feet, rooting him/her?) or be at least "blue" in terms of difficulty.

I have been thinking the exact same thing. All corpses and bone piles should have a what, 10% chance to come alive. That would make looting the dead more unnerving, and exiting. They should also have a higher chance of being higher difficulty rating.

Ditto that. It would be a neat surprise from time to time to make the game more dynamic which is a much needed thing. Small things like this would turn the game richer bit by bit.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
I have just finished Act1, and I love this game :)
Here are my comments on the visuals so far.

1. GREENERY. I agree with a few others it seems, when I say that the greenery in the jungle is to bright. More specifically, I think there is in general to much yellow in the green, making the leaves and grass look like darling buds of may.

2. The "shine" or reflection off of the landscape (rocks ect.) is to white. If possible the "shine" should match the light source, so that when under the sun the "shine" should have a little bit of yellow in it. During sunset should have a little yellow/orange and under moonlight a little blue. I am not talking about a lot of colour, merely a coloured nuance of white.

3. PUDDLES. I though that some of the puddles and stagnant/slow streams were to clean. They felt in the need of some fungus/weeds/moss in and around the water. Waterlillies in the Fetid Pool for instance.

Thats all for now, and again I love the realistic graphics. Keep up the good work ;)
I noticed something with the Heavy Strike animation. If you get interrupted during your attack, the trailing effect of the weapon going forward still occurs.

I am a poor freezingly cold soul
So far from where
I intended to go
Is it possible to make same animation chaining be more fluid.
Let me give example .

Swipe skill when you use it and just keep button pressed it does this. start animation swing stop animation start animation swing stop animation etc.
Cant it go like this start animation swing swing swing , making it continuous cast instead of that part where it stops for a second.
I know it might seam minor but it feels clunky and more importantly does not feel fluid.

Even more drastic is the matter of casting buffs and such i am sure you are aware of that it should be less restricting.
I really like the new Necromancer enemies, but I think their raising-animation could be improved. Currently it looks a little stiff, and the motion itself is a little goofy, too. Maybe make them only raise one 'hand' instead of two, in a more fluid motion?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
The Witch.

I hate her idle/walking animations. They way she's stooped over.

When you have a metal helmet on her, she looks like she should be in a class for the mentally challenged.

I'm not saying she needs to be some hyper sexualized thing. I mean, I'm gay, I really could care less. But could she carry herself a little less like Quasimodo?
"
Oasisbhrnw wrote:
I noticed something with the Heavy Strike animation. If you get interrupted during your attack, the trailing effect of the weapon going forward still occurs.

Confirmed.
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info