Animation Feedback

My very first impression was that the marauder's attacks feel a bit... 'off'? Like they lack real impact and punch. I'm not sure what it is, it just wasn't very appealing coming from... "that other game" which I am guessing will be sort of a competitor to this.

I haven't played for very long though, so maybe it will get better later on when I gain levels and get better gear and powers. But for a first impression right off the bat it feels a bit... dull. I'm worried potential customers might be put off a bit and not bother giving the game a fair chance.

Sometimes the little details make a huge difference.

Also; sorry if this has already been discussed, I confess to not having read through the entirety of this rather long thread *shame*
Last edited by Vampiress on Apr 2, 2012, 7:06:49 PM
I feel like the witches run animation feels very very sluggish and undynamic. There is also a serious lack of impact from the lack of physicality of monsters struck by projectiles.

Coming from playing the ranger i can say its the first time ive played a dungeon crawler where i felt that the class im playing has power. I dont know what it was but the animation for ranged bow attacks where great and the hit partical effects where great. If anything add a few more bow pull animation and chreacter movement. I think the ranger could be made to feel a little more agile i mean agi is her main stat afterall.
i whas gonna do a small "rant" about, how i feal most of the animations i have seen on both chars. and monsters is just sup par. and just generaly poor work.
but.

havening read this tread, i feal bad about it.
the responce on this tread from GGG is just awesome.
i can see stuff gets fixt, and by faar most of the stuff ppl point out, gets great responce.
so ill come back when its released and give it a second glance.

don´t know how the game will work out.
but this comunety seem´s to be off to a great start.

Copy and paste from my original post

Hey all -

This is a very minor gripe but something that once I noticed it I can't get out of my head. The templar grips one handed maces extremely high up on the shaft, almost directly under the head of the mace. In real life this grip would generate almost no force as opposed to swinging from the handle itself. I know the Templar has old man strength but it still looks a little silly :)
Upon reflection, I'm wondering if the lack of "punchiness" associated with some of the melee weapons might be the audio cues. Shifted up the animation timeline slightly might improve things.
being a huge marauder fan, it looks like there´s almost no reaction to his attacks at all.

this guy has the appearance of 250 pounds of solid muscle, yet his swings visually almost don´t affect his surroundings at all.

i´d imagine a little bit more knockback or knockdown if a giant guy hits with a giant axe, no matter what the size of his enemy is.

while some swings of his sword seem to carry the actual kinetic energy, others rather look like he´s merely fondling his adversary.
i´m clearly not for over the top "kung-fu hustle" like animations but there should be that certain kind of gratification feeling for hitting an enemy and doing some damage.

visual feedback for successfull attacking is not always about "health-meters" going down, but also about feeling the intensity of your blows on your foe itself.

that being said, maybe some additional damage-textures would help generate a visual response to your actions.

well, so much for this

regards
tjolnir
Ah,

I started a thread and was directed here (thanks dust7) and have some more feedback now that ive played a few more classes:

Critical hits: I think there's something to be said about animations on these. Having a different animation or visual effect applied on a critical hit can really build excitement "BLAM! take that haha!" currently it almost feels like im watching a neverending clip of the simpsons - 'chop chop, dig dig, chop chop, dig dig' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2FjhXdydI

Ranged: Pretty happy with the ranged animations - anything more i rekon would make them feel over the top

Spells: Again fairly happy with how these work, but it might better to have say 3 or 4 different animations (and say something extra for crits) that are random as you cast each spell.

Melee: chop chop, dig dig.. really kinda ordinary to watch, seeing my duelist sit there going jab jab jab jab jab jab no matter how fast gets old, and id imagine its no different for others. for melee a series of 3-4 animations with a bit of relevance to thier classes would be awesome. a real graceful feel with the duelist (see: any movie with rapiers, say Zorro with antonio banderas), a feel of power behind the marauder (see: Conan, Heman etc.) and so forth

If these were even paid features I would certainly buy them, say a $10 animation pack? I'd fork that out in a second if the time was spent on some quality
I think that the barrel destroying animation could be more agressive - not like stepping on but more like kicking, and it shuld be faster, it will be more enjoyable then:)
Is there any plan to introduce sync kill animations featured in games like W40K: Dawn of War or Dragon Age: Origins series? That would be quite cool. Each character can have different sets of sync kill animations against unique monsters, bosses, and even against other characters.

The only problem I can foresee is that during sync kill motion the character is usually invulnerable, so an option to disable it during public games, like team match, might be an option, but I don't see why not during co-op games. Besides, watching the sync kill during the match could also be very entertaining to the other players too.

And GGG can sell such animation packs.

And how about selling animation packs featuring combo kill animations as well, like when you kill a number of mobs in a quick succession? It's purely cosmetic, but hell that would look awesome!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info