[3.8] 1h Impale Cyclone Slayer. Uber Elder capable with cheap gear. NO REQUIRED ITEMS.

This is an Impale Cyclone build that can also be played as Bladestorm. It works with every duelist/marauder ascendancy apart from Chieftain. It can also be played with 2handed or other weapon types with a few changes on the skill tree.

This build allows for some pretty cost efficient options, aswell as being viable with low investment and has infinite room to improve damage and survivability.

This was my league starter in Legion and I killed Uber Elder on my first try deathless, with less than 1 exalt invested in the build. To simulate this I bought gear for 100c and added the footage for it in Videos.

3.8 changes
Spoiler

Damage nerf: The flat damage from Cyclone gem got nerfed by 50% and this totals out to 11% damage nerf for this build in particular.

Aoe nerf: Because of the new scaling we go from 42 to 36 radius while in sand stance wich is pretty minor.

Slayer nerf: Overwhelm went from 8% to 7.5% base crit and means roughly a 3-4% damage loss. Bane of Legends got both attack speed and movement speed nerfed from 20% to 10%. Very minor nerfs.

Minus mana cost nerf: Channeling skills got separated for the crafted mod. This one is quite annoying, the best way to solve mana now is to get a fossil modded chest.

Pulverise Nerf/Buff: Nerfed AOE but buffed DPS, we still use it while mapping however.

Despite changes to the core of this build, it still builds and works the exact same way.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler

Pros
+ This build can achieve stupid levels of damage.
+ League start and SSF viable.
+ No required items.
+ Very fast clearspeed.
+ Tackles end game easily on a low budget.
+ Has lots of room for min/max.

Cons:
- While our Cyclone area is very big, we are still playing Melee wich is dangerous at time.
- Meta build means some end game items can be expensive.
- Cyclone can sometimes cause desync.

Videos

Path of Building

Spoiler
With my gear the build currently has around 15mil shaper DPS with pure boss settings.

If start adding things you'd have while mapping like killed recently, power/frenzy charges etc then the DPS goes well over 20mil.

Ascendancy order: Headsman->Bane of Legends->Overwhelm->Impact.

Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/srHW21v4

Bandit+Pantheon
Spoiler
Bandit: Alira is going to be the strongest choice for 99% of the game. There are arguments for taking the skill points but I like the extra resists that Alira provides.

Pantheon:

Major: Soul of Lunaris for everything in the game.

Minor: Soul of Shakari because I hate spiders. They do a lot of chaos damage and chaos resistance cost more to invest in than a simple Pantheon

Honorable mention: Soul of Ralakesh for maim/blind immunity and Soul of Garukhan for movement speed while mapping.

Mechanics
Spoiler
Impale
Spoiler

Impale is a debuff you apply to the target that stores 10% of the damage you dealt in the previous hit and deals that amount as extra damage on consecutive hits.

Impale stacks up to 5 baseline giving you a 50% MORE damage multiplier.
You can increase this to 7 by either using Champions ascendancy node "Master of Metal" or by using a Watcher's Eye with the mod "Impales you inflict last 2 additional hits while using Pride".

We multiply this number by getting Impale Effect.

With just Impale Support, Dread Banner, and the 2 skill tree clusters we get a damage multiplier of 104%.

Mana Cost Reduction
Spoiler

Since Cyclone hits really fast, it can be hard to sustain mana only through leech. The best way to solve this is to get a fossil crafted chest with the mod "Socketed Attacks have -15 to Total Mana Cost"
1h vs 2h
Spoiler
2h has a few strong elder mods like 7-link Fortify, double damage and a few others. It also has the benefit of using 2 6 links or just a body armour with really good stats without needing to link it such as a Kaom's Heart. It also looks pretty damn cool.

Dual Wield on the other hand gets a few nice perks. By just using 2 1handers you get 10% MORE attack speed, 20% MORE attack physical damage and 15% additional block chance. In addition to that 1h can also use a 7-link in the form of a fossil crafted body armour with the mod "socketed gems are supported by level 1 maim".
Rampage
Spoiler
We get Rampage in this build while mapping through the 2h Axe Sinvicta's Mettle. We use this in weapon swap so you just swap to it, get 1 kill, then swap back to your main weapon/s.

Gear
Spoiler

For any gear related questions, make sure you read the Detailed section.

Cheap Version
Spoiler
Expensive Version
Spoiler
Detailed Gearing
Spoiler
Weapons
Spoiler
Paradoxica is incredibly cost efficient while delivering high end damage.

It's equivalent to a rare jewelled foil with about 480 pDPS but they cost about 20 ex compared to a Paradoxica that cost around 3-4 ex. Because of the low attack speed it wont feel as smooth when mapping, but your damage will go through the roof.

IMPORTANT: Because of how Paradoxica work, it will show less in-game tooltip because it doesnt calculate the double damage mod but its certainly an incredibly strong weapon.

As a budget option you can use a Scaeva in your main hand and a decent rolled rare foil in your off-hand. For the Scaeva you want 3 green sockets for the crit multi.
Helmet
Spoiler
Rare Helm with life and resists.

Fossil crafted helm with physical damage is something to strive for. Until then you can use a Starkonja.

Devoto's Devotion is THE best helmet for clearspeed but it lacks in damage and survivability compared to the 2 previously mentioned helmets. In my personal opinion, it is not worth the cost to buy a Devoto.

Helm Enchant
Spoiler
Listed in order of DPS gain.

Blood and Sand has 40% increased Buff Effect - 6% more damage
Dread Banner has 40% increased Aura Effect - 5% more damage
15% Cyclone Attack Speed - 4.8% more damage
40% Cyclone Damage - 4.7% more damage
12% increased Attack Speed during Blood Rage - 3.8% more damage

As you can see the dps difference isnt huge between the enchants so just get wichever one is the cheapest.

The dps numbers are based off my current gear that you can find in the POB.
Body Armour
Spoiler
Rare body armour with life and resists.

Fossil crafted body can get stats like 7-link Maim and minus mana cost. With an elder body you can also get base crit wich is very strong.

You dont need an astral plate, nor do you need an elder body. On league start I used a normal rare 6-link fossil crafted with Serrated and Pristine.
Gloves
Spoiler
Rare gloves with life and resists. Spiked gloves is the best base.

If you dont need resist you can get flat phys and/or attack speed. There are also a lot of veiled damage mods you can craft.
Boots
Spoiler
Rare boots with life and movement speed, resist if you can get it.

If you dont need resists you can craft attributes, damage during soul gain prevention or cannot be frozen.
Amulet
Spoiler
Rare amulet with life and resist.

This is a good slot to squeeze damage with flat phys to attacks and/or crit multi aswell as other veiled damage mods.

Rings
Spoiler
Rare ring with life and resists.

If you dont have minus mana cost on body you want -3 to channeling cost on both rings and amulet in order to have 0 mana cost on Cyclone. Just 2x mods for -6 works or Xopec's mod on 1 ring for -8 works fine aswell.

As an endgame option you can get a shaped ring with Assassin's Mark on hit.
Belt
Spoiler
Rare belt with life and resist.

You can craft attributes or %increased damage if you dont need resists.

End game option would be a fossil crafted Stygian Vise with physical damage.

Stats on the jewel should be life and either attack speed, global crit multi or physical damage to attacks.
Flasks
Spoiler
The flasks are pretty much locked in place. Not many flasks can compare with this setup. The mod "of the Order" is very good on a Diamond Flask but its pretty hard to get.

The only thing I'd change in this setup is to have 1 Warding flask instead of the 2 Heat flasks listed.
Jewels
Spoiler

You want to socket Tempered Flesh in this slot https://imgur.com/a/Irmb0qX.

Best mods for rare jewels are life% and physical damage, attack speed or crit multi.

The Brutal Restraint jewel is only worth getting if you can get more benefit that just a regular jewel. Lethal Pride jewels can also be pretty good.

The best mod for a Watcher's Eye is 2 additional hits with Impale though it's quite expensive. Most of the Pride and Precision mods are good so if you cant afford a 2 stack Impale then just get another mod for either of the 2 auras.

Skill Gems
Spoiler
Cyclone
Spoiler
The main single target will be Cyclone, Impale, Fortify, Brutality, Rage and Melee Physical damage.

You swap in Pulverise instead of Melee Phys while mapping. Rage Support stacks with Berserkers rage generation.

These 2 gems are both better than Increased Melee Phys but they require more Intelligence than we can easily fit on the tree. If you want to use them you can get some 30+ int nodes on tree aswell as some attributes on gear.
Warchief
Spoiler
Completely optional link, however it does give us MORE damage when its up and it does respectable damage on its own. I only use this for bosses like uber elder or t16 guardians.
Cast when damage taken
Spoiler
Yet again, optional link. It doesnt do a whole lot with the changes to Immortal Call so you can skip this and 4link leap slam or use a manual Immortal Call, Steelskin or Vaal Molten Shell. You can use whatever curse you want. Enfeeble, Assassin's Mark, Warlord's Mark and Vulnerability are all good.
Leap Slam
Spoiler
Either Leap Slam or Whirling Blades. Blood magic is needed given we reserve almost all of our mana. If you want to 4 link this you can use Faster Attacks aswell.
Auras
Spoiler
These are the best auras you can get for a balanced setup.

Flesh and Stone is primarily for the defensive utility while in sand stance so if you rather get some extra damage then Herald of Purity is a good choice. You can also skip that aura and just level up precision instead if you have accuracy issues.

If you encounter mana issues, link Pride, Flesh and Stone and either Dread Banner or Blood and Sand with an Enlighten.
Utility
Spoiler
Blood Rage is very strong, both for mapping and bosses since it gives frenzy charges on kill, but more importantly attack speed. If you want you can rely on this to get your life leech cap and save a few points on the tree.

Portal is just because I'm lazy, if you have portal scrolls you can use blood magic here aswell so none of your skills cost mana.

Berserk is a very strong gem but I wouldnt use it on other classes than Berserker simply because it takes to long time to build the rage back up again.

Levelling Section
Spoiler
Levelling Skill Tree
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/GSPkKrmu

Make sure you click the dropdown as shown in the image to see different levels.
https://imgur.com/a/JzJRqR0
Vendor Recipe for leveling weapons.
Spoiler
By vendoring a white sword, a blue or rare rustic sash and 1 blacksmith whetstone will give you %physical damage. After this you can either craft attack speed on it or use a regal orb and craft flat phys damage.

Starting Gear lvl 1-10
Spoiler
Early Game lvl 10-30
Spoiler
Mid Game lvl 30-43
Spoiler
Optional Weapons
Spoiler
Rigwald's Charge is very strong and is useful despite being a 2hand.

Oni-Goroshi is most likely the fastest and strongest weapon to level with so if you can afford one this is the best option.
Skill Gems
Spoiler

We start levelling with Perforate linked with Chance to Bleed, Maim and Added Fire. When you hit level 4 you want to pick up both Steelskin and Blood & Sand.

You get Dash at level 4 and its pretty good. You can play with it all the way to end game if you want or swap to Leap Slam at level 10.

At level 16 you want to get Flesh & Stone and link it with Maim. Replace Maim on your Perforate with Melee Phys when you hit level 18. Link Faster Attacks with your Dash or Leap Slam.

At level 28 you can swap to Cyclone or keep levelling with Perforate. Either add Fortify as your 5th link or replace Chance to Bleed when you hit level 31.

At around level 50 is where we'll want to swap to pure physical so make sure you have the Impale nodes on the skill tree. If you have a 6link at this point it should be Cyclone-Impale-Brutality-Fortify-Melee Phys-Rage.
We also start using both Pride and Dread Banner for Impale and remove the Maim from your Flesh & Stone.

Mana is pretty tight at this point so if you dont already have a rare ring with -mana cost you can use a cheap Praxis ring.

At this point onwards you have the base of the skill gems. For further information please refer to the Skill Gem section.

FAQ
Spoiler
Q: Is Brutal Restraint jewel mandatory?
A: No not at all. There isnt a single mandatory item in this build. To find out exactly what each item does, read the detailed gearing section.

Q: How do you have so high damage compared to me?
A: Because I have manual inputs on the Brutal Restraint jewel that normally doesnt get calculated in POB. If you look at the jewel you will see the tags with each modifier I applied.

Changelog
Spoiler

Jul 15, 2019: Added videos.

Jul 16, 2019: Optimized skill tree and POB.

Jul 18, 2019: Video for Bladestorm.

Aug 02, 2019: Added a levelling section with POB.

Aug 04, 2019: Fixed POB with current gear for both expensive and cheap version aswell as adding ascendancy priority. Expanded levelling section.

Aug 12, 2019: Added more helm enchants and displays the dps difference.

Aug 26, 2019: Minor update with thoughts about 3.8 nerf.

Sep 10, 2019: Cleaned up the POB and fully remade the guide for 3.8.

Oct 19, 2019: Made the guide easier to read aswell as adding FAQ section.

Thanks for taking the time to read my guide. I'm open to feedback and suggestions and I'll try my best to answer any questions if anything is unclear.

Check out my other builds here:

Zombie Necro 3.8: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2637833
Last edited by Dex2644 on Oct 19, 2019, 10:33:51 AM
Last bumped on Oct 19, 2019, 6:07:39 AM
Bump. Videos uploaded.
Very nice and detailed guide.
Even tho I started as 2h axe cyclone slayer and I'm almost done with the league and its challenges,I'd love to try the 1h variation with a different ascendancy because,hell,I love spinning around and obliterating stuff.
So the question is,besides slayer which is undisputedly the king of this league,which other of the 4 ascendancies you posted will be close to it?
"
Chaioth wrote:
Very nice and detailed guide.
Even tho I started as 2h axe cyclone slayer and I'm almost done with the league and its challenges,I'd love to try the 1h variation with a different ascendancy because,hell,I love spinning around and obliterating stuff.
So the question is,besides slayer which is undisputedly the king of this league,which other of the 4 ascendancies you posted will be close to it?

Thank you!

When it comes to damage Champion is without a doubt the best, they are even better than Slayer aswell because of the Impale scaling. When it comes to mapping both Berserker and Gladiator gets very high attack and movement speed so they map very fast.

Juggernaut is functional aswell but it simply lacks damage, however they are by far the tankiest and easiest to play.

If I personally had to make a second choice to Slayer I'd pick Berserker just because of the insane attack speed they get.
Bump.

Updated skill tree both on pastebin and online for both 1h and 2h.

Now includes acro and another jewel aswell as some extra life at the loss of "Soul of Steel" wich gives +1% max resist.

EDIT: Also fixed the configuration on pastebins for mapping dps. 1h has 10.6mil dps and 2h has 7.3mil dps.

2h could be optimized a bit, appreciate any feedback provided.
Last edited by Dex2644 on Jul 16, 2019, 9:57:24 AM
Bump.

Added video for Deathless Uber Elder Bladestorm.
Ok,quick feedback:

Leveled as a Berserker and I have to say you're able to achieve really high DPS numbers with low to medium investment,the more you spend tho,the more this build really starts to shine both in map clearspeed and single target damage.

A couple of things tho that we need to take in consideration:

A)Taking Aspect of Carnage instead of Blitz highly boosts our dps and it's definitely better to assign it despite the damage taken which isn't a great amount anyway

B)We have to ditch Rage support gem (useless anyway since we are already generating rage thanks to the Crave the Slaughter node of our ascendancy) for the sake of Melee physical damage,another huge boost dps improvement.

As for single target,swapping Pulverize to Conc.effect (or Infuse channeling if you want to be more tanky) is the best option dps wise,you have to solve the intelligence problem tho.
Personally I have assigned an int. node from the skill tree in addition to some intelligence I already have on my gear,it's clearly worthy because of the high DPS benefits.

Also the usage of berserk skill improves clear speed/dps while mapping and especially while doing 5-way legion runs.

I have to mention tho that using a devoto with cyclone/blood rage att.speed enchant is QoL since movement speed makes this build to reach its peak,yet it might be unaffordable for many people as OP also stated.

Here's my PoB for further suggestions/questions etc:

https://pastebin.com/4gNFnkck

Last edited by Chaioth on Jul 19, 2019, 10:52:28 AM
"
Chaioth wrote:
Ok,quick feedback:

Spoiler
Leveled as a Berserker and I have to say you're able to achieve really high DPS numbers with low to medium investment,the more you spend tho,the more this build really starts to shine both in map clearspeed and single target damage.

A couple of things tho that we need to take in consideration:

A)Taking Aspect of Carnage instead of Blitz highly boosts our dps and it's definitely better to assign it despite the damage taken which isn't a great amount anyway

B)We have to ditch Rage support gem (useless anyway since we are already generating rage thanks to the Crave the Slaughter node of our ascendancy) for the sake of Melee physical damage,another huge boost dps improvement.

As for single target,swapping Pulverize to Conc.effect (or Infuse channeling if you want to be more tanky) is the best option dps wise,you have to solve the intelligence problem tho.
Personally I have assigned an int. node from the skill tree in addition to some intelligence I already have on my gear,it's clearly worthy because of the high DPS benefits.

Also the usage of berserk skill improves clear speed/dps while mapping and especially while doing 5-way legion runs.

I have to mention tho that using a devoto with cyclone/blood rage att.speed enchant is QoL since movement speed makes this build to reach its peak,yet it might be unaffordable for many people as OP also stated.

Here's my PoB for further suggestions/questions etc:

https://pastebin.com/4gNFnkck

Hey and thanks for the feedback. I do agree with you on some points and I'll edit the guide to include more options for support gems.

Berserk being left out was an overlook on my behalf so I'll make sure to add this as an option for Berserker only.

The reason I have Rage support listed for every ascendancy is because flat physical damage scales incredibly well for one handed, not so much for two handed. It also stacks with Berserkers rage generation giving you a much faster build up. If you check Rage support in POB you'll see that it gives a ton of damage.

Some of the options you have listed simply dont allign with how I personally like to play the game, like taking Conc Effect over Infused Channeling as a DPS option since it makes your AoE considerably smaller, introducing a more dangerous playstyle where you have to be very close.

For me personally, Aspect of Carnage is simply overkill because you dont need that much raw damage, I'd rather have nodes like Blitz that gives crazy attack speed for fast mapping and my other option would be Pain Reaver because it gives some respectable attack speed in addition to saving points on tree with life/mana leech.

And finally with the Devoto's Devotion. Yes it is a good helmet, especially so for faster clearspeed. My point is simply that the clearspeed from a Devoto does not reflect the cost compared to fossil crafted rares or a Starkonja. It is THE best helmet for clearspeed but that's about it. For damage and survivability it will always lack compared to the 2 previously mentioned helmets.

Yet again, thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated!
Last edited by Dex2644 on Jul 19, 2019, 11:45:36 AM
Bump.

Added pros/cons to all the ascendancy choices.
Does the timeless jewel have to be exactly the same?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info