[3.8] Ultra tanky Ball Lightning Guardian | CI 11-15k ES | 3-5m Shaper DPS

I'm just trying to convey feelings here, not to pass judgement or to be the one who's right.
Maybe ball lightning just is not a good fit for me.

I did try removing slower proj, but then the damage kind of sucked against anything non-trash. I did not try any other adjustment, probably I could have gone further. But finally I just did not want to, because I was not feeling the build enough to try investing more time in it.

As for the totem build, it's the very first totem build I play that I really like. You can really just run continuously, stopping just to pop 2 totems every now and again, and everything shatters and dies almost immediately.
Of course against tough hitting ennemies consecutive hits and you're dead, so if you like tough build it's very bad.

Here is a mapping video taken from Wallach's topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_XkYMfgGw&feature=youtu.be
"
pr13st wrote:
This build will never complete in the clear speed meta that's for sure, but it depends on what you expect from the build. If you start it for the zoom zoom than you clearly weren't paying attention.

However if you're looking for a build that does not die that much this seems to be it. Personally I dislike dying a million times and getting stuck at lvl 91-92 so I'll give this a go.

What's the best helmet enchant? extra ball?

Extra damage or aoe
"
grizzly40 wrote:

Swap slow proj to faster proj, use haste instead of determination, use quicksilver flask instead of wise oak - there, almost 2 times faster. I'd love to see videos of that totem character, just from curiosity

Yep, did that. Marginal improvement, if any. The problem lies with ball lightning. Unless it is being cast automatically via totems, it's just a god awful skill that is slow and inefficient. As for showing you a video of my totem build, sure, I can make one, but that would mean I would have to spend 120 regrets on this character, since I respeced out of it to try out this build, since I absolutely DESPISE leveling up from scratch. The fact that they make us play through that god awful story mode after you have beat it a million times is beyond aggravating. Hopefully they do something about it in the future.

I really want to make this character work to my liking, but it's not looking good from my vantage point. I want the tankiness, but I also want decent clear speed.
"
thomzon wrote:
I'm just trying to convey feelings here, not to pass judgement or to be the one who's right.
Maybe ball lightning just is not a good fit for me.

I did try removing slower proj, but then the damage kind of sucked against anything non-trash. I did not try any other adjustment, probably I could have gone further. But finally I just did not want to, because I was not feeling the build enough to try investing more time in it.

As for the totem build, it's the very first totem build I play that I really like. You can really just run continuously, stopping just to pop 2 totems every now and again, and everything shatters and dies almost immediately.
Of course against tough hitting ennemies consecutive hits and you're dead, so if you like tough build it's very bad.

Here is a mapping video taken from Wallach's topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_XkYMfgGw&feature=youtu.be

The totem build I have been using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXpcvkNbeUI&feature=youtu.be. Loved it, but you're going to get one shot. But, in most cases, you are going to kill them before they kill you - that was true until Legion, anwyay.

If I could find a way to make that build tanky, I would do it in a heartbeat and never play any other builds.
Last edited by Kadamose on Jul 23, 2019, 10:58:29 AM
Which Pantheons are you using? Just specced into the build (Lvl 71 atm), really looking forward to seeing its full potential at 90+.

Nice build grizzly, thanks!
Last edited by rainmeadow on Jul 23, 2019, 11:11:20 AM
Idk if i'm blind or just stupid guys, but the builds you showed me are... similar in terms of clear speed? Yes, they have better aoe coverage obviously, but you still have to walk there in order to collect loot, so it doesn't really make them more efficient. The only thing that does is crazy high movement speed (builds that can actually finish maps in 1 minute with 200%+ movement speed).

The difference is even smaller in linear maps, where you just cast once -> clear pack -> rinse and repeat.

I really don't know, maybe i'm biased cuz all i did this league was t16/uber elder/delve (where you don't need aoe that much), but these builds really don't seem to be faster

And yes, it's definitely possible to use different spell, changes to tree would have to be made. In fact, you could use pretty much every spell with this build without heavy tree/item changes
"
rainmeadow wrote:
Which Pantheons are you using? Just specced into the build (Lvl 71 atm), really looking forward to seeing its full potential at 90+.

Nice build grizzly, thanks!

Solaris + Yugul
Well if I take a stopwatch and take measures you might be right.

But the fact is, playing Ball Lightning, I was like "this feels sloooow... come on go faster".
And playing FP totems, I don't feel that. Playing your MS build, I did not feel that.
So again it all comes down to personal feeling when playing a build.

The good thing is your build really got me curious into trying stuff with the Guardian ascendancy, which I always ignored before. Might try a melee HoWA build with it pretty soon.

"
thomzon wrote:
Well if I take a stopwatch and take measures you might be right.

But the fact is, playing Ball Lightning, I was like "this feels sloooow... come on go faster".
And playing FP totems, I don't feel that. Playing your MS build, I did not feel that.
So again it all comes down to personal feeling when playing a build.

The good thing is your build really got me curious into trying stuff with the Guardian ascendancy, which I always ignored before. Might try a melee HoWA build with it pretty soon.

There's a cyclone guardian variant on the forums that I think I am going to try out. It's only 1 million shaper dps, but you can get to delve 1000+ and have all the tankiness of this build. I'm not a fan of cyclone, either - but it's WAY better than ball lightning.
"
grizzly40 wrote:
Idk if i'm blind or just stupid guys, but the builds you showed me are... similar in terms of clear speed? Yes, they have better aoe coverage obviously, but you still have to walk there in order to collect loot, so it doesn't really make them more efficient. The only thing that does is crazy high movement speed (builds that can actually finish maps in 1 minute with 200%+ movement speed).

The difference is even smaller in linear maps, where you just cast once -> clear pack -> rinse and repeat.

I really don't know, maybe i'm biased cuz all i did this league was t16/uber elder/delve (where you don't need aoe that much), but these builds really don't seem to be faster

And yes, it's definitely possible to use different spell, changes to tree would have to be made. In fact, you could use pretty much every spell with this build without heavy tree/item changes

My totem build has 185% movement speed and isn't reflected in that video. I place my totems and I run away on to the next pack. Maps take less than 30 seconds, in most cases, to complete, and another 30 seconds to go back and pick loot up. Definitely not similar.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info