Cyclone

"
SEOINAGE wrote:
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
SEOINAGE wrote:
I don't see many people going dual wield cyclone, why not?

I tried it with my set up again, although slightly different than I had before, and it seems to work decently, if I had a little more control it would be better, but the dps seems solid. Clear speed is still a little slow because of small aoe. I might attempt to get a quality cyclone.

I think the feeling is, 10% more DPS is not worth losing the defense of a shield. You're dropping anywhere from 15-30% block, HP, and armor/evade/es. Plus most good weps don't have resists so you're probably giving some res up as well.

And if you're DWing, Cleave is just so much better that it makes using any other AoE feel pointless.

Yeah I dunno, I kill far faster with cyclone than cleave.

Cyclone is beastly. My Cyclone tooltips at ~4500 with Frenzy's base 3 charges up. I have it up to 3.5 APS.

It absolutely kills faster than my 12k tooltip Infernal Blow with 7.5 APS.

Alexis
*smiles*
"
Yes but do realize Static Blow is my next and final run to get me to where I need to be to pick up Inner Force shortly after. Inner Force is something I will seal up near the end of my build. Blood Magic Gems, though viable, are just not for me.

Right now I have actually begun the run to Static. 5 more skill points to reach it. I will reach it before 70. Inner Force by 75. Endurance Charges and Freeing up floaters (for instance right now my Light Res is low on my gear so I will be taking more resistances out of Mara until 80ish) comes right after.

I will be moving forward to docks this morning or tonight, at 65 I feel ready to move this character to A3 and Docks, though I could eek out a few more fast levels in Fel.

Now I know I am not playing Hardcore. But to put it in my perspective. My last Maps character had died 121 times (semi bad build) by 65. Merlinus has died 33 times. Most of those due to me trying to utilize Cyclone before I had the regen to properly sustain its blood cost, he has not died in over 20 levels.

My goal is at least a 5k tooltip for Cyclone. But I am having trouble getting it past 4500 atm, need better gloves to achieve it I think and maybe a better belt with 30% Elemental instead of this really nice 20%.

Alexis
*smiles*

Even with my 1k tooltip cyclone, I destroy docks and do quite well in maps currently (level 73).

I have 9k armor (soon to be 12k when I grab the 30% armor node next levelup), 4.5k HP, 300 passive life regen. Any pack that gets shocked gets wiped due to my static blows + elem proliferation.

Even if nasty packs don't get shocked, my attack speed dictates that I leech enough to cyclone indefinitely even in the middle of huge map packs, especially with a granite up which boosts my armor to over 35k.

But yeah, I realize that I'm not really talking in the same mindset as you, as we play on different modes and our priorities are entirely opposite.
[Hardcore league]
IGN: Jeria / Metalgrid
I imagine your guys set up is more powerful than mine. I'm DW physical with bad weapons, but the dps is good. Picked up a Carcass Jack yesterday, and a quality cyclone, so debating what gems to run on it.

My biggest complaint is desync. I like cyclone best with multistrike but it desyncs like crazy.

I'm doing maps with it, little scary with the lack of control and desync. But I'm 74 and still progressing. Cleave is safer if I have a tough map.
4326 tooltip dps with cyclone now, and thats still with my terrible off hand. Physical build mind you. Picked up quality cyclone and carcass jack so i can use concentrated effect. No money left for another off hand upgrade. tried crafting one, 40 chaos later no luck.

One thing I wanted to say though, I disagree with the idea of low run speed, I would much rather have higher runspeed, I even use quicksilver flasks mid cyclone somtiems, but i am also using multistrke, it helps me clean an area up quicker.

Last edited by SEOINAGE on Apr 14, 2013, 9:29:34 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

So a high attack speed, low movement speed is the best cast for stacking multiple hits per cyclone on a single target. But with a higher move speed you can of course just start the cyclone again sooner should you desire, and if you can afford paying the mana more often.

I am not being anecdotal with this. Mark, the designer of the skill says most hits comes with low movement high attack speed, but that alternatively you could go as you do and just cast more frequently.

So in order to test the "as intended" or not nature of it I built it on one end of the spectrum. I hit A LOT. I do much more damage under Temporal Chains. I may even build it into the Unique I design for the $1000 I am spending this month or next (finally my savings account for the content buy is almost to 1k) as a sometimes curses wielder on hit.

If you like to have the added safety moving faster brings, believe me there are times I wish I was not the turtle of decimation when it came to speed of movement. But, I am happy as is.

Alexis
*smiles*
Last edited by Merlinus_Celidonus on Apr 15, 2013, 8:31:08 PM
Two questions, is it true that cyclone rolls for critical hit only once per cast, and as result you crit all or no mobs? And if yes, why? Wouldn't it be more logical to have roll for critical hit every attack performed during duration of cyclone? Only reason I can think of for this, is that cyclone does too many attacks and dwarfs with dices would get too tired.

I apologize if this has been resolved.
Yes it only rolls once per cast, but it casts repeatedly as you hold it down.

I was wondering if a change was going to be implemented to allow holding shift to make you spin in place.

There's plenty of times I've died because I stop spinning just because I bumped into an enemy or random bit of terrain.

Perhaps make it do 20% less damage while you're not moving?
IGN: Bravo_Thirsty
I finally got a chance to use cyclone today and overall I think the skill is done quite well. I really like the animation and the damage seems right (DPS: Dual-strike > Cleave > Cyclone for single targets) so all in all, well done GGG!

My only constructive criticism would be the fixed high mana cost and fixed movement speed of the skill.

I'm fine with cyclone's DPS being lower but the high mana cost and fixed movement of Cyclone make it seem like more of a niche skill that's most efficient when enemies are lined up and/or you need to escape.

IMO, it would be great if the mana cost was over time (X mana/sec) and if the movement was more dynamic and based on the position of the cursor. The farther away the cursor, the faster the skill's movement. Clicking on the player would allow spinning on the spot, allowing cyclone to be more useful when surrounded by enemies. Cyclone's movement could then be updated at a higher rate to allow greater movement control during the skill. Taken together these changes would make cyclone more versatile and a little easier to use in more situations.

That being said, I still think it is a great skill and I look forward to using it more with my dual-weilding Dualist!
I think increasing the range of cyclone would be more fun
i tried today cyclone + multistrike combo, its great combination, but it is causing huge desync problems, when im fighting small monster groups (3-5 monsters) everything is ok, but when im fighting against bigger packs (10 and above) this gem combination is unplayable, almost always my character choose different targets on client side than on server side, and im ending up in desync, not knowing where i truly am. is it fixable ggg? maybe thru some multistrike code tweaks? like for example choosing always the nearest target instead of random? there will still be some desync, due to delay, but i think there will be much less of them.

or best solution would be imo to allow "Various speed/collision concessions that make it easy to speedhack and/or walk through monsters with modified clients" and make some kind of warden to catch and ban hackers. i know i takes alot of work time but it would cut down desync problem alot.
Last edited by Ellohir on Apr 22, 2013, 3:29:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info