Cyclone

"
moozooh wrote:
1. It appears that Cyclone, "measuring weapon range from the edge of the character" (quoting Mark from the mechanics thread), effectively has a base range of 2+n, where n is the weapon range and 2 is the base radius of character model.

As such, for instance, the unarmed range to apply AoE increases to is actually 2+4=6, rather than 4.

Is this correct?
I believe so.

"
moozooh wrote:
2. Also, because the quality bonus (+10% AoE at 20% quality) always rounds down, it will do nothing at all except under very specific circumstances, such as:

• upon attaining 10+ base weapon range (currently impossible when unarmed): 10×1.1=11;
• upon equipping Carcass Jack, and/or picking up AoE node(s), and/or using Increased AoE support;
• partially negating the downside of Concentrated Effect (by at most 1 under most favorable circumstances).

Is this correct?
It is correct that you need to either gain more weapon range or other area increases to see a benefit from this currently. The classification of any area bonus as "very specific circumstances" is perhaps arguable, and the source of such bonus does not matter and is not limited to the ones you list.

"
moozooh wrote:
If so, are you considering reinstating some of its quality bonus back, so that it does do something without extra hoops? (+0.75% per 1% quality seems like it would do the trick for any kind of weapon.)
This isn't my area, but the designers are aware of this and examining the available options to make the quality more impactful on it's own.
Excellent, many thanks for the prompt response!
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
Can you make cyclone like d3 whirlwind. Much more enjoyable implementation of the skill. Lower mana cost and make it per-second basis.
Last edited by maLcious on Sep 30, 2015, 2:26:57 PM
Cyclone is modeled on d2 style deal with it.
Cyclone is a great skill with a lot of uses, but currently i feel that crit is just badly implemented on it. At the moment, it will roll crit once, an the every hit will wither crit or not depending on that roll. This creates a frustrating all or nothing scenario where you either do massive damage or sit there locked in the animation as you dont do enough damage. For builds entirely dependent on crit for damage (especially CoC), failing the roll can often be deadly particularly if you depend on leech.

Really, it would make more sense both mechanically and intuitively for the skill to roll crit chance for every attack that it made. It would make it so the skill would not tend towards random extremes damage-wise, as well as making it more suitable for utility purposes such as surgeons potions and CoC
"
sagiterios wrote:
Really, it would make more sense both mechanically and intuitively for the skill to roll crit chance for every attack that it made.

Crit is always rolled per Skill activation. Having one arbitrary exception is the exact opposite of mechanical sensibility.

I personally really dislike it more often than not. Crits on Spells and most Melee Attacks are extremely spiky due to the near-mandatory Echo/Multistrike, which massively exacerbate the all-or-nothing feel of Crits. It's a huge deterrent for me, it just doesn't feel good until you get 75%+ Crit Chance or an utterly stupid hit rate (10+ APS? wtf is that shit). :/
Guess the Assassin Ascendancy will be good for that, lol.

There's at least some ways to mitigate the issue for now: always keep Cyclones as short as your Mana allows (Blood Magic builds have little excuse), and Diamond Flasks are pretty nifty if you're not at 80% Crit Chance. 'course They can't roll Surgeon's, so keeping it rolling is a little tricky; that's the biggest downside of a Diamond.
I just noticed Point Blank support gem can be linked with Cyclone, the mana multiplier at least. Is there a reason for that? Is it a bug or does it actually do something? Would the Point Blank keystone from the passive tree also support Cyclone?

I discovered this when I was trying to support the spells used by Cast on Critical Strike:
Cyclone + Cast On Critical Strike + Point Blank + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Arctic Breath + Fireball

EDIT: Just discovered Point Blank doesn't support spells projectiles, only attack projectiles, my bad. Still, the question about it supporting Cyclone remains.
Last edited by Xarick on Dec 11, 2015, 6:09:58 AM
the recent changes to cyclone seem WAY overkill, the less damage on first attack is extremely noticable and punishes every bit of movement and does nothing for cast on crit

nerfing the damage for regular builds okay, but adding that first hit penalty was way too much and makes it feel like a 30-40% nerf, not even kidding

if anything the minimum range should be increased a little further, this feels like it was a step in the wrong direction (this doesnt affect CoC ever)
Last edited by Giniyo on Dec 17, 2015, 8:58:01 PM
Looks like the tooltip dps is now corrected? Showing 76k dps without any charge or flask. Was at 40k prior 2.1. That means Cyclone is about 10% nerfed. Am I correct?
If I go first, I'll wait for you in the other side of the dark water.
Last edited by Ukanta on Dec 21, 2015, 8:38:56 PM
"
Ukanta wrote:
Looks like the tooltip dps is now corrected? Showing 76k dps without any charge or flask. Was at 40k prior 2.1. That means Cyclone is about 10% nerfed. Am I correct?

counting every first hit dealing 50% less damage its more like a 30-40% nerf atleast thats what it feels like

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info