[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

Hey, finally found a cheap weapon, and after 3x annul i was looking at it and, gg. ^^

Shaper down! And deathless too on my first try ever. Even managed to tank a Shaper slam.

Been saving up for Atziri's Reflection in anticipation for the attempt. Managed to snipe some more cheaply-priced div cards and converted an Atziri's Mirror myself. First time running Uber Atziri; it was a breeze. Had a well-rolled Mirror to work with that had dropped for me and ended up with a nicely-statted Reflection.

The increase in oomph with Reflection is notable, and the curse immunity is a wonderful QoL. I can see why, while not strictly necessary, you consider it and the accompanying access to Pain Attunement to be core to the build.

Funny thing is I still have a ways to go until the character is fully upgraded. I'm about 1700 alts into spamming for a T1 Cold DoT affix for my end game weapon and in the meantime still have a pretty modest weapon equipped. Managed to hit both a T1 Chaos and T1 Fire in the process, was able to sell the Chaos mod to help fund the pursuit. Also rolling a Shaper-based Hubris Circlet with fossils; yet to hit decent ES in tandem with a Hypothermia affix, need to restock my fossil supply for another session. The Vertex has been solid in the interim.

At this point I'm looking forward to using the build to learn more about crafting and get further into the end game than I anticipated this league. Looking forward to Delving deeper and trying my hand at Uber Elder!

Thanks again for the thorough guide and powerful / fun build.
"
Qikly wrote:
Shaper down! And deathless too on my first try ever. Even managed to tank a Shaper slam.

Been saving up for Atziri's Reflection in anticipation for the attempt. Managed to snipe some more cheaply-priced div cards and converted an Atziri's Mirror myself. First time running Uber Atziri; it was a breeze. Had a well-rolled Mirror to work with that had dropped for me and ended up with a nicely-statted Reflection.

The increase in oomph with Reflection is notable, and the curse immunity is a wonderful QoL. I can see why, while not strictly necessary, you consider it and the accompanying access to Pain Attunement to be core to the build.

Funny thing is I still have a ways to go until the character is fully upgraded. I'm about 1700 alts into spamming for a T1 Cold DoT affix for my end game weapon and in the meantime still have a pretty modest weapon equipped. Managed to hit both a T1 Chaos and T1 Fire in the process, was able to sell the Chaos mod to help fund the pursuit. Also rolling a Shaper-based Hubris Circlet with fossils; yet to hit decent ES in tandem with a Hypothermia affix, need to restock my fossil supply for another session. The Vertex has been solid in the interim.

At this point I'm looking forward to using the build to learn more about crafting and get further into the end game than I anticipated this league. Looking forward to Delving deeper and trying my hand at Uber Elder!

Thanks again for the thorough guide and powerful / fun build.

Very nice! Gratz on the shield!

One thing that's really worth noting with the shield+Belt combo is the movement speed. you get up to 16% additional MS with these for additional QoL and clear speed.
"
toxic678 wrote:
"
toxic678 wrote:
Well.. hit 36/40 last night.. so pretty much done this season. Gear has some room for improvement, but it wasn't necessary to fully optimize it to get the wings.

Here is the final gear and PoB for reference!

https://pastebin.com/jUt8dpGq

Also been grabbing a few vids to show things that have been asked in the thread - specifically about how it performs in blighted maps.

Here are some vids just for fun: I'll add more as I run into interesting things. (i.e. still no cortex!! )

Uber Elder: https://youtu.be/-NIRg4hE38s

T8 Blighted Map : https://youtu.be/-Z5DxpdfCAo

Delve darkness test @ 307 : https://youtu.be/O7_XBRXNkAo

Kurgal @ 306 : https://youtu.be/hqzOFmd4mtg

Aul @ 267 : https://youtu.be/Ztb9cubX_-Y

MAstermind 83 : https://youtu.be/itMpVz1o7Wk

Finally hit the wand that I consider best in slot for the weapon..

Spammed abberant + frigid + jagged + metallic fossils until I had +1 spell gems and +1 cold gems as prefixes. I got lucky and had only those two prefixes. But was unlucky to have 3 suffixes. Did a lucky annul to get an open suffix, crafted prefixes can't be modified then scoured. Then finished off with can have multiple crafted modifiers, trigger socketted, 20% cdotm and +% cold damage. This gives about 10% more dps than isolating the "heartstopping" (~+38% cdotm) and finishing off with multiple prefixes craft.

Played around with reflection and that is definitely bis and a huge qol life, but only adds another 12% dps to my setup. Caused some issues with str for me, lost about 600ES and would have had to screw around with resistance, so just kept the rare belt and +1 cold gems shield.

Interestingly, if you want to go all out on DPS, the below staff gives around 5M vortex dps, but is a HUGE qol hit in that you need to manually cast storm brand and frost bomb and orb or storms. (only on bosses!) Use a level 4 empower instead of hypothermia and put the vortex group in the staff. That allows those who like cold-snap to make it a 6L in the chest. Not really worth it imo, but with a level 31 vortex (21 from gem, +5 from globals and +5 from empower) is damn appealing. (Crafted the same way I made the wand, but be prepared to dump some serious currency into it, hitting +5 is rare.) There is probably a better base, with block, but I already had this 6L from a drop, and dumped about 4ex trying to hit +5 with fossils + resonators before I gave up.

pob paste
--------------
Corruption Roar
Eclipse Staff
Item Level: 82
Quality: 20
Sockets: B-B-G-R-B-B
LevelReq: 70
Implicits: 1
100% increased Global Critical Strike Chance
+2 to Level of all Spell Skill Gems
+3 to Level of all Cold Spell Skill Gems
{crafted}Can have multiple Crafted Modifiers
{crafted}{range:0.5}+(36-40)% to Cold Damage over Time Multiplier
{crafted}+2 to Level of Socketed Support Gems
{crafted}{range:0.5}(21-30)% increased Damage over Time

------------------

In any event - done with this league - see everyone in 3.9

Last edited by toxic678 on Nov 5, 2019, 9:22:33 PM
Interesting. I've had +1 Cold Skill Gems come up a few times in my quest to Alt spam a T1 Cold DoT mod, played around in PoB a bit to see what the trade off was but the T1 Cold DoT mod seemed superior. That's a heck of a commitment to Alt spamming to get. Just trying to get the T1 mod is breaking my spirit.

I'm sitting on two Hubris Circlets trying to decide between one with level 20 Hypothermia I isolated via Annuls and would have to multimod up, and a +30% quality ~325 ES with a +4% to block spells mod. Basically would have to choose defense versus offense between those two options (seems to be ~150 ES difference between the multimod version and the more well-rolled version). May buy another Shaper base to throw some more fossils at.

I've been running Flesh and Stone for the blind / reduced range attack damage and really liking it.
"
Qikly wrote:
Interesting. I've had +1 Cold Skill Gems come up a few times in my quest to Alt spam a T1 Cold DoT mod, played around in PoB a bit to see what the trade off was but the T1 Cold DoT mod seemed superior. That's a heck of a commitment to Alt spamming to get. Just trying to get the T1 mod is breaking my spirit.

I'm sitting on two Hubris Circlets trying to decide between one with level 20 Hypothermia I isolated via Annuls and would have to multimod up, and a +30% quality ~325 ES with a +4% to block spells mod. Basically would have to choose defense versus offense between those two options (seems to be ~150 ES difference between the multimod version and the more well-rolled version). May buy another Shaper base to throw some more fossils at.

I've been running Flesh and Stone for the blind / reduced range attack damage and really liking it.

T1 Cold DoT is better than a +1 alone, but not better than a +2.

As for the helmets, I would keep crafting for -9% Cold Res and Hypothermia. Even you you get those and isolate+Multimod that's better than just Hypothermia.

Flesh and Stone is fantastic. I haven't played Vortex this league but I was using it last league on a defensive variant of this build.

________

@Toxic

Sick wand, now get +2 spells AND T1 Cold Dot multi!
:D

Also in regards to staves, they really don't work with this build. I hate manually casting buffs/debuffs, losing the shield is a loss of defenses, and I like shield charge...and a host of other reasons but as of writing this I gotta go. :D
Thanks for the input, Gryph.

I do have an amulet with +16% Cold DoT, Damage Penetrates 10% Elemental Resistances, and some ES that I plan on multimodding, which I assume will help in a similar fashion to the minus Cold Res. Can't hurt to have both, though: back to spamming fossils.
"
Gryphenprey wrote:

@Toxic

Also in regards to staves, they really don't work with this build. I hate manually casting buffs/debuffs, losing the shield is a loss of defenses, and I like shield charge...and a host of other reasons but as of writing this I gotta go. :D

It's certainly possible to roll those 3 prefixes. With the fossils I mentioned.. just unlikely. (abberant + frigid + jagged + metallic) With this combination, you need to hit 3 prefixes out of a possible 9. Unfortunately the weighting for +1 all skills is 50, +1 cold is 250+1 and T1 CDOTM 35. If you are satisfied with t4 or better CDOTM, the combined weight is 220+140+70+35.

I used around 50x 4slot resonators to get this wand and consider myself very lucky. (There are 12 tiers of mana rolls, for a combined weight of around 10,000 / 10 tiers of +cold damage which is VERY bad for us @ 5,000 There are 8 tiers of +%spell/+%cold for a weight 5,000.. you get the idea :)

To get all 3 good prefixes naturally, I estimate around 500 resonators. YMMV

Agreed on the staff - I made a +4 one, played with it for about 90 seconds and decided it sucked with this build. Sold it for around 50ex with the crit implicit, to someone playing a cold mines build. With the right implicit and the staff nodes on the tree, the block value is comparable to a shield, but you lose a ton of ES, evasion and utility compared to reflection. That is definitely the bis item for this build.

"
toxic678 wrote:
"
Gryphenprey wrote:

@Toxic

It's certainly possible to roll those 3 prefixes. With the fossils I mentioned.. just unlikely. (abberant + frigid + jagged + metallic) With this combination, you need to hit 3 prefixes out of a possible 9. Unfortunately the weighting for +1 all skills is 50, +1 cold is 250+1 and T1 CDOTM 35. If you are satisfied with t4 or better CDOTM, the combined weight is 220+140+70+35.

I used around 50x 4slot resonators to get this wand and consider myself very lucky. (There are 12 tiers of mana rolls, for a combined weight of around 10,000 / 10 tiers of +cold damage which is VERY bad for us @ 5,000 There are 8 tiers of +%spell/+%cold for a weight 5,000.. you get the idea :)

To get all 3 good prefixes naturally, I estimate around 500 resonators. YMMV

Agreed on the staff - I made a +4 one, played with it for about 90 seconds and decided it sucked with this build. Sold it for around 50ex with the crit implicit, to someone playing a cold mines build. With the right implicit and the staff nodes on the tree, the block value is comparable to a shield, but you lose a ton of ES, evasion and utility compared to reflection. That is definitely the bis item for this build.

Would be worth it. Hahahahha. Might be something to do on standard with a synthesis base.

I even have a base that makes it possible! now I just need 1000 exalts to start the project. Lol.
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Nov 7, 2019, 6:58:35 PM

Well, I spent like 10ex fossil crafting in different ways to no avail, ended up alt spamming +1 Cold Spells (150 alts or less) into regal + annul with no beast insurance. Took a look at PoB and this is actually *slightly* better than T1 Cold DoT Multi+multimod for this character on this base (likely because of the implicit Cold DoT) and also better than what I previously had (2-3% more dps).

So I multimodded and annul'd the Multimod (took exactly 1 try) used 2 divines for perfect damage rolls, and added aspect of the Spider. This will let me replace my ring that has aspect on it with something that actually covers my resistances properly and thus allowing a nice tree respecc and dropping of a terrible jewel.

With the new tree I end up losing 200k dps (4.4m -> 4.2m) but also go from 12.1kes to 13.2kes and also gain a lot of mana+mana regen.
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Nov 9, 2019, 4:16:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info