Hardcore vs Default

IMO, if you want to play HC, just play it. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. You have nothing to lose by playing HC and dying if you still enjoy SC.

I personally find HC less and less fun and am waiting more and more for CT league. However, SC is far too casual for me to ever return, it just feels like it has no objectives at this point.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Mar 11, 2013, 2:09:23 AM
Here we go again...

POe has no hardcore league, not with this alt f4 bullshit...
"
piscator123 wrote:
Here we go again...

POe has no hardcore league, not with this alt f4 bullshit...

The babbycore players should come up with something new, it's getting boring :p Also obligatory pictures.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
People can and still die even with alt-f4, they also die from desync, transitions and server crashes in HC, you also get to abuse alt-f4 in SC, people acting like HC is more forgiving than SC are full of shit. It's still far more punishing.

The difference between accepting HC over SC is if you can put up with it. I have a shit connection by most standards (200ms at best, and it is hugely improved from what it was), I've died maybe 5-10 times to desync, disconnects or transitions.

The only time I played SC was the first time I played the game, I found that with my first character (a ranger), not spending skill points and only dying once by level 25 or so due to pure recklessness, it was just too easy. Tried HC and well, impossible to enjoy SC after that.
Although I played HC in the last months of closed beta, I started open beta in default. With the new content and playing other type of characters I did not want to start in HC.

I am not a real casual player, but also not a player that can play 6-12 hours a day. If I can play 10-15 hours a week I am a happy guy. In those hours I want to have fun, try some builds and stuff. That is difficult playing hardcore. When you die, you loose the time invested.

I have six characters, of every type one, and I level them simultaneously. My Marauder and Duelist haven't died yet. The Ranger and Templar once and the Witch and Shadow four times. The last characters are new to me, which explains the deaths.

Everyone has its own reason to play soft- or hardcore. There is no good and bad here. Just have fun!!

Last edited by McHuberts on Mar 11, 2013, 4:22:25 AM
"
Flab wrote:
The only time I played SC was the first time I played the game, I found that with my first character (a ranger), not spending skill points and only dying once by level 25 or so due to pure recklessness, it was just too easy. Tried HC and well, impossible to enjoy SC after that.

I find it very difficult to understand the sentiment here. Why is default "impossible" to enjoy?

I played both leagues during CB, and gained the same enjoyment form playing on both leagues. After all, it's the exact same game. There is nothing you can do in HC that you can't do in default, except brag about the fact that you're still alive. And if that's the only way you can enjoy yourself, then I feel very sorry for you.

I've been playing in default since OB because I find that dying to desync takes away almost as much enjoyment as I get from playing the game.
I made 1 softcore Witch and then moved exclusively to HC. I love the thrill.

I'm honest enough to say I haven't even beaten normal on HC yet - have died to Vaal Oversoul twice and 1 separate desynch.

But I don't care. I'm improving everytime I play and hinking more about what could work with a build where my actions have consequences.

I'm playing a pure-physical dmg Marauder right now - the thrill of leaping inot a pack of enemies to sweep them, unsure whether you will live or die is something you won't feel in softcore.
i have 1 build in default a RF mara its hard to lo lvl up with only lifenodes so i decided i play default for some time its so fucking boring unbelievable

i bought 3 uniques to get over with it as quick as possible

i lost 3 times my whole party in the vaalfight i lose at least 1 in a docks run even in f ellshrine ppl die constantly

ppl cry about the dogs in docks and have negative fire resi default is just pure entertainment
another example is charging in a mobgroup of frenzy on hit archer and a physical aura elite and you watch the screen has slain has slain

id say a hc player knows in general much more about mechanics than a default player

btw i always smile when i see a lmp dog elite in docks and like to watch my random partymember die

derp dogs are fucking op ggg should nerf them yo haha
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Mar 11, 2013, 10:17:51 AM
"
VoxelSquid wrote:
I play HC exclusively, on a laptop with integrated graphics that has a tendency to overheat and shut itself down if I stress it too much. Fortunately, it seems that the 6 second exit delay is short enough for the server to always safely teleport my character to town. I don't think I've ever lost a character to overheating-induced shutdown.

If your laptop is over-heating I think you have bigger problems than your PoE character dying honestly.

On topic: I play default, honestly I really couldn't be bothered with hardcore. Weeks spent just to be lost to either a 1 in a million combination of auras, Lag, Desync, Crash. There's to many factors in online games for it to be something I could be bothered with.
IGN: Adrastos (Betrayal)

Shaper/Uber Service:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2289614
"
AintCare wrote:

I like how someone can form an opinion on lack of experience and knowledge... how do you know what we are talking about if you never tried HC? and you dont loose anything it just moves to SC

Because visualizing how having 1 life and dying feels is not an incredibly deep abstraction that you need to experience to understand (hint: I've played other videogames!)

Also, if your character gets taken out of the league, it's dead, for all intents and purposes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info