Point Blank

"
Flickerflare wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:
Yeah, I'm also interested in how point black interacts with chain on Lightning strike for example, is the poing blank distance calculated from the origin point of every projectile that chains?

Currently, yes, but it sounds like that may change in the future.

Also one second, I just took a bunch of screencaps of this recently.

EDIT

"
Flickerflare wrote:
So I recently took a moment to gather a piece of information that has been requested in beta keystone and support gem feedback for a while. A visual identifier of how the Point Blank keystone effects your damage. For these testing conditions, I used Split Arrow for 80% damage effectiveness, which brings my maximum and minimum damage within 2 points of each other. I have nearly no damage spread.

This_screenshot_is_without_point_blank

This_is_the_maximum_damage_rampup

This_is_10_units:_The_maximum_range_to_attain_maximum_damage_rampup

This_is_35_units,_The_maximum_range_before_you_start_losing_damage

This_is_45_units,_A_25%_damage_loss_is_seen.

For anyone not familiar with the mechanics behind this keystone, here is a quote on what they are. The above is just a Visual Representation of what we already know.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Damage bonus/penalty is as follows:
Distance 0 to 10: 50%
Distance 10 to 35: scales linearly from 50% down to 0%
Distance 35 to 120: scales linearly from 0% down to -100%

For reference, The greatest melee weapon range is 5, cold snap has a base range of 15, and 120 is the maximum distance it's possible to shoot an arrow (it's impossible to reach this usually except sometimes when firing at the upper corners of the screen).

You lose 50% of your damage at around 60 units away. Distances past 60 units were unfeasable for me to test, nor could appropriate visual representations of such distances be made.

Currently, each time a projectile chains or forks, it's new location for point blank damage is the origin point of where the last mob was standing when hit. Piercing does not cause this.

Try this keystone out sometime, it's quite fun, and while you profit most from melee range combat, it's free damage under nearly all circumstances for an archer.

As a fun idea, Using Chin Sol, Point Blank, and Remote Mine in combination can allow 5 explosive arrows to nearly one-shot Vaal on Merciless. There is great damage potential here just waiting to be unlocked!

It is unknown to me, currently, if the damage of the explosion from an explosive arrow can be reduced by a mob running away from the location where you stuck them with the arrow. Currently the explosion seems to always grant a +50% damage boost.

Remember, Point Blank is 50% MORE damage, which means it is calculated after increased damage affixes. That means it's 50% more damage than you currently have, regardless of your passives.

Are those ranges still accurate? If so I currently have a 57 ranger in Nem that I am building around point blank with spectral throw, and reduced projectile range, I am trying to figure out min/max range I should aim for to get the most effectiveness out of pointblank will still keeping some ranged ability.
Twitch.tv/Nithryok
Cleave has a range of 20. No way that third screenshot is only 10 units; Cleave would cover the entire screen.

Also, ST will deal nearly no damage on the return trip because PB actually checks flight time as opposed to distance.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Cleave has a range of 20. No way that third screenshot is only 10 units; Cleave would cover the entire screen.

Also, ST will deal nearly no damage on the return trip because PB actually checks flight time as opposed to distance.

I dont know if thats true, mine seems to deal damage just fine, but I also have ST linked with reduced projectile speed, so it goes out to max point blank range and returns.

So if what your saying is true, I get the 50% dmg boost out and normal damage on the way back.
Twitch.tv/Nithryok
Does Point Blank work with DOT from projectiles, as of 1.0.2? (like poison cloud of Poison Arrow)
IGN: Karamellaskolbasz
Point Blank specifically boosts Projectile Attacks. As per the patch notes, Damage over Time is neither an Attack nor a Spell.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Point Blank specifically boosts Projectile Attacks. As per the patch notes, Damage over Time is neither an Attack nor a Spell.

good point, thanks
IGN: Karamellaskolbasz
It was brought to my attention that the Support tooltip is different than the passive tree tooltip and I'm wondering if that means they function differently or if it's just an inconsistency.

"
Point Blank Passive Node - Projectile Attacks deal up to 50% more Damage to targets at the start of their movement, dealing less Damage to targets as the projectile travels further

"
Point Blank Support Gem - Projectile attacks deal up to 50% more damage to very close targets, but deal less damage to farther away targets

The question is, how do these work when using Spectral Throw??

The passive node description suggests that your thrown weapon may do less damage on the way back due to how far the projectile has traveled.

The support gem description suggests that your thrown weapon will still do the increased damage on the way back as long as the mob is standing in close proximity to your character.

Which is it? If it is the latter, how exactly does it determine mob distance? Is it how far the mob was when you cast the skill or how far away when it hits. If I toss a spectral throw and then run away, causing the thrown weapons to hit the next pack of mobs, do I get the point blank damage bonus since I'm standing close to the mobs?
" ... to let them know the game isn’t going to be very fair from here on out."
- Qarl
The description of the support gem is worded identically to the keystone passive, and therefore functions identically. The wiki has the old text for the support gem.
This gem, just like the passive node, is actually pretty insane. Most of the combat (even for an Archer) happens in close combat, and this is were you'll have the most stopping power. An extremely underrated support gem/passive node in my eyes. In fact, i think it's so good that the only reason it's not nerfed yet is that most people do not use it, because they think their Character would have to be in melee combat in order to make good use out of that skill. The damage is so high, i'm actually thinking of speccing out of PB again so i don't die so phys reflect so quick.

Haha, just kiddin', i'm not gonna pass that skill up ever again ... real magic.
Does point blank works with
It says projectile on incinerate. Since you need to stand there to channel the stacks, mobs probably get to walk right up to you at "point blank" range. That would awesome damage buff.

Edit: Nevermind, i noticed the attack keyword, does not apply to spells.
Last edited by yeopokemon on Dec 14, 2013, 1:38:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info