(HC/SC) Facebreaker + Cyclone - Fists of Fury Duelist [Videos Included]

Other Guides: Cold Crit Tank Shadow

First off, if you haven't heard of the new skill, check out these videos on it.
Blue Cyclone Microtransaction
Sawblade Cyclone Microstransaction

What is this guide about?
This guide utilizes the unique Facebreaker gloves to fight your enemies with your bare hands. The abilities you were able to use while unarmed used to be severely limited to only single-target skills. However, with the release of Cyclone, unarmed builds now have an ability solely for AoE purposes.

There are two builds in this guide. Both builds share the same 62 starting points, and then branch off.

One is designed for Hardcore - it is called the Hardcore Tank Build. It is designed for Hardcore because it requires less nodes to invest in the build mechanics, and can focus more on getting more health and armour. Unlike the Default build, it does not invest in Increased Area of Effect passives, and instead uses those points to go for iron reflexes and extra health nodes. While you can use the other build, it is recommended to use this one if you are going to create your character in the hardcore league.

The other build is designed for default (but can by all means be used in hardcore if you like). It uses the Increased Area of Effect support gem and all possible Area radius nodes in the passive tree to turn Cyclone in to the biggest AoE it can possibly reach. By the end of this build, you should be able to Cyclone around and hit far more enemies than you would have originally. Having quality Increased Area of Effect and quality Cyclone helps a lot in this build, as they both add AoE per quality %.

The Mechanics of Cyclone

Spoiler
- Your movement speed will affect how quickly you move while using Cyclone. You will travel to your destination faster, but hit enemies less, with higher movement speed. Lower movement speed also means you will be spending mana less, as you will not have to cast it as often.

- Cyclone spins at your attack speed, and attacks twice per spin. Increasing attack speed will increase the speed of your spins.

- With a Damage Effectiveness of only 40%, gems such as Life Gain on Hit will not be very useful with Cyclone. It attacks twice at a Damage Effectiveness of 40%, effectively dealing 80% attack damage per spin to enemies that are hit.

- The range of Cyclone is dependant on weapon range. It can be increased by both the Master of the Arena node (+2 weapon range) and Increased Area of Effect support gems/passives.

- Only abilities that remove movement speed can stop you while you Cyclone (Bear Trap, Freeze, etc), not even yourself. You are unable to move, and enemies are unable to stun you.

- Cyclone, like almost all weapon skills, alternates weapons when dual wielding. So each weapon will hit once per spin.

Cyclone and the Facebreaker - How do they work together?

Spoiler

Pros of these builds

- You're hitting enemies with your fists. MAN MODE!
- You look like a baws while fighting, check out the Cyclone videos.
- You deal insane amounts of damage from level 16, just from gear, and can focus on survivability.
- Great in solo play, as you will be one hitting just about everything in the game.
- A fun build for PvP, watch your opponent cry as you one-shot-punch them in the face.
- Has little problems against reflect, as Cyclone deals bursts of small damage and your armour is effective at repelling it.
- Counters some of the most annoying enemies - Necromancers (You explode corpses with IB) and Rhoas (Cannot be stunned while in Cyclone)

Cons of these builds

- Requires a lot of uniques to work successfully.
- You're a melee, so you will have to get close to the enemies.
- Not so good in group play, as you will no longer be one-shotting things.
- End game becomes very gear dependant, as you need to roll high life on all pieces of gear.
- Very vulnerable to Lightning Thorns in Battlefront. Be very careful there.

Gameplay Video - Level 37
Gameplay Video - Level 50

Passive Skill Tree Progression
Warning - You will be vulnerable between the 30-point and 50-point areas, as you are heading towards the Marauder tree. Play it safe at the end of normal difficulty and beginning of cruel difficulty, and things will begin to pick up again.

30 points
50 points
---Some Respeccing Required--
61 points
100 points - Default +AOE Build
100 points - Hardcore Tank Build

Skill Gems

Spoiler

This build will be following the Hardcore Tank/Shock Build, and will end up using the following skill gem combinations.

Both Builds will use: Infernal Blow + Melee Physical Damage + Mana Leech + Added Fire Damage. Infernal Blow will be your main single target ability

The Hardcore Tank Build will use: Cyclone + Added Fire Damage + Melee Physical Damage + Life Leech. (+ Blood Magic if you need it)

The Default +AOE build will use: Cyclone + Increased Area of Effect + Melee Physical Damage + Life Leech. (+ Blood Magic if you need it)

Curse of choice is Warlords Mark for both builds, use it to keep endurance charges up and for the extra leech. It will also refill your granite flask very quickly.

Ideal end-game auras for both builds will be: (However, you will be able to make do with just hatred until then)
Grace + Blood Magic + Reduced Mana
Purity + Hatred + Determination + Reduced Mana

Gear Choices

Spoiler
First and foremost, try to get physical damage increases on your gear (1-4 increased physical damage, etc) as this will be amplified by your facebreaker. 1-4 physical damage on a perfect-rolled facebreaker will turn in to 10-40 damage.

Example: this ring alone would give you +50-110 damage on a perfect-roll facebreaker.

For a facebreaker build, the perfect piece of rare gear will offer you bonus physical damage, health and boosts to all resists.
Example:

In your first weapon slot, find a Heavy Quiver with phys damage boosts and optionally life/resistances. (Broadstroke will work here early on)
Example:

In your second weapon slot, find a shield that provides life and all resists, and swap to this when you are facing a hard-hitting enemy such as Brutus.

As for flasks, the most important one to get is a Granite Flask with the suffix "Iron Skin", like so:

While most characters will go for the Surgeon's prefix, you cannot deal critical strikes. So try to roll Extra Charges or Increased Charge Recovery. This will allow you to face tank most bosses up to Merciless, and make Physical Reflect much less of a nuisance past that point.

Notable Uniques
Spoiler
Obviously required for this build:

Very Helpful for this build (Ones that do not waste important slots):

Meginord's Girdle, Heavy Belt
Broadstroke, Heavy Quiver (Early-game)
Daresso's Courage, Baroque Round Shield (Late-Game)

Uniques that will boost your damage a lot, but use up an important slot:

Foxshade, Wild Leather
Ezomyte Peak, Rusted Casque

Recommended Bandit Rewards

Normal Difficulty: Help Oak for +40 health.
Cruel Difficulty: Help Oak for +12%.
Merciless Difficulty: Kill all for 1 skill point.

Difficult Boss Strategies

Here I'll list ways to defeat bosses that may give this build some issues.

Brutus
Spoiler
Since you need to get up and close to Brutus, it may prove difficult to kill him. Simply run circles around him until he uses either his hook or his wave, then run in to get some infernal blows off on him. Just keep repeating this, and be prepared to spam flasks if you do get hit.

Vaal Oversoul
Spoiler
This guy is a pain for all melee characters, due to his smash attack. If you get hit by it, you are most likely dead. Run around the outside-wall of the room until Vaal uses either his ice shot ability, monster spawning ability, or rock-fall ability, and then run in to infernal blow him a few times. As soon as the ability is over, rush back to safety. It will take a while, but if you do this you will be safe.

Piety - Lunaris Temple
Spoiler
Piety has 3 forms in this fight. Bring a Topaz Flask to this fight, as it will help you immensely. While she is in her lightning form, pop a topaz flask and spam infernal blow on her until she runs for a portal. If she changes to her ice form, simply hide behind a pillar, or run as far away as possible. If she changes to her fire form, use your granite flask and continue to beat on her with Infernal Blow.
Last edited by EndOfEnds on Mar 29, 2013, 1:21:15 AM
Would adding this Shield to your build make it Flaming Fists of Fury? :)

Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
Hah, I guess it would. though Daresso's Courage would probably be a much better choice!
Hi,

I personnally would create of Marauder for this kind of build. (Build)

Else, Daresso is a good idea.

Don't take 6% AS on bandits, because the 12% physical bonus is considering your base damage, and then is multiplicative with facebreaker, and not only additive.
IGN - Elyzim
Last edited by PinkPingPenguin on Mar 9, 2013, 7:23:50 AM
"
Hi,

I personnally would create of Marauder for this kind of build. (Build)

Else, Daresso is a good idea.

Don't take 6% AS on bandits, because the 12% physical bonus is considering your base damage, and then is multiplicative with facebreaker, and not only additive.

Thanks for the suggestion, I changed the bandit rewards - not even entirely sure how Cyclone will be affected by attack speed. (Though I'm thinking it'll be just like sweep). As for your marauder build, the only problem I see with it is the lack of dex nodes near the beginning of the tree, so it might be a bit difficult to get the required dex to level up Cyclone.
This is a pretty good idea. I might steal the concept. I'd be going a different direction with it though.

In your notable uniques you listed broadstroke, I thought they made it so quivers only work with bows now?
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Moosifer wrote:
This is a pretty good idea. I might steal the concept. I'd be going a different direction with it though.

In your notable uniques you listed broadstroke, I thought they made it so quivers only work with bows now?

Hm, I haven't tried an unarmed build for a while, so it might be the case. I'll do some testing.

Edit: Nope, it appears that quivers can still be equipped while you're unarmed.
Last edited by EndOfEnds on Mar 9, 2013, 8:05:35 AM
"
EndOfEnds wrote:
Hah, I guess it would. though Daresso's Courage would probably be a much better choice!

Still, would be nice Whirling away, Burning and Enfeebling everyone :D
Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
free bump for my bro :D
definitely gonna try outh this build cant wait
IGN : FROZENINNOCULATION OR ARCAYNESHADOW
LOOKING FOR SICKASS HELMETS ( HIGH LIFE ROLL HIGH ARMOUR AND NICE RESISTS)
LOOKING FOR SICKASS GLOVES ( HIGH LIFE ROLL HIGH ARMOUR AND NICE RESISTS
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/234767
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/234764
not getting unwavering stance and iron reflexes is a mistake
IGN:TheyCallMeSwagSwag

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info