How to get used to playing Softcore?

"
trixxar wrote:
how do you get used to playing SC when the fights don't matter, when death holds no meaning?

Make fights matter and find meaning in death.

"
trixxar wrote:
(I feel like I suddenly realize that if we were all immortal and could never die, life itself would hold no value and be pointless and unbearable. Which everything from One Punch Man to Interview With The Vampire warned us about.)

Thank you for your wisdom, sensei. Your 100% accurate and no doubt appropriate comparison of computer game and life has opened everyone's eyes here.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
For me the best way to play is to alternate betwen sc and hc. This was a Sc league and I managed to kill Shaper for the first time and almost got Uber Elder down. Last league I played, Bestiary, I played Hc and reached red maps where I ripped a level 89 character. In Sc the focus should be on practicing Uber fights and just pushing the limits of a build. On the other hand, Hc is all about just playing casually and trying to see how far you can get. I can't imagine ever going for lvl 100 in sc, I'd rather shoot myself, but in Hc that would be amazing. I really wish more people would give Hc a chance instead of just playing zoom zoom every league, especially now since there are way less one shots ( volatile dead, dd totems, freaking desyncs).
"
Gimme a break. HC players really need to get over them selves.

No kidding. They think HC is so much better,but...logout macros.
At least Waggle doesn't use a logout marco, so I can respect him.
Invest some time into SCSSF.

Can't promise you'd love it as much as I do, but at least it gives a different angle on some things.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
"
just enjoy the content u cant play easy on hc, uber elder, atziri, make build by yourself, try kill uber, try reach lvl 100 without pure breachstone, but.. i understand u

^
We tested it extensively
I played nothing but hardcore for years, stopped because I sucked at staying alive, moved to SC, then quit for six months or so because of the same issue you're having: I didn't feel like I was being challenged (even though I suck at the game and lost dozens of HC characters).

The key is to set different goals.

In Hardcore your goal was to live as long as possible while doing as much content as possible. That goal can be the same in softcore, you just have the ability to continue if it happens.

If dying isn't a "threat" to you anymore, change your goals to something else entirely. What if you've never finished the red maps? Now you have a chance to do so without the threat of one mistake starting you over. Ever beaten Uber Elder? I haven't, even in softcore, because I'm just not good enough, but doing it in a non-hardcore environment allows me to actually learn mechanics. Ever beaten Hall of Grandmasters? Super-RIPpy 8 mod Guardians? Want to amass a fortune and then build a ridiculous 100 exalted orb character? All of these "impossible in hardcore" (to me anyway) goals are possible in softcore with enough patience and time to learn.

Sorry if this repeats other people's advice, I honestly didn't read the thread beyond the initial post.
Highest Character: Level 92 86% Block/Static Strike Champion - Abyss League
I get bored of the grind around 90, probably won't ever get a higher character.
Last edited by ExcretusMaximus on Feb 6, 2019, 5:00:48 PM
I don't understand why some players feel like dying is okay in softcore. Even if it has little real effect, I still consider it an absolutely unacceptable failure in my judgement and don't even need tacked on penalties to feel that way.

It might just be that you're framing your perspective wrong. Also, the challenge definitely increases if you self found your character. I don't really care about bragging rights using the actual official mode, but so far I haven't partied or traded this league at all and the extra effort was enjoyable, if far less rewarding than just getting what I want with currency.

Perhaps you can use self enforced hardcore rules where you decide if the cause of character death was your fault or not. Can you still delete the character if it's your choice?
The more More you have, the less Less matters
They just don't balance the game for hardcore at all and no game that is dependent on a server can handle permadeath, most of the times i've died it was to some lag or desync that meant that i wasn't where i thought i was on the screen. They could fix this but it would mean trusting the client and because people would then cheat and have the client tell the server you are where ever you want. Add to that the fact that the server seems to think that players can be inside a wall, when the server should know 100% that no player should ever be inside a wall as it isn't a valid place for a player or anything else to be, yet the server allows that.

all the issues with this game could be fixed with a single player offline client [Removed by Support].
[Removed by Support] - don't mention the chinese ownership of this game!
Last edited by Lisa_GGG on Feb 7, 2019, 3:43:04 PM
"
trixxar wrote:
But, playing SC, no fight has any meaning. I can die over and over and over, and it means nothing.

tell this after you reach lvl 95 or higher. ^^
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Translation = "Hey guys I play with one hand because I hover over a logout macro like a pussy but I'm still going to make a dumbass topic and claim I'm superior to people who play a mode where they have to play well enough to not die instead of just logging out like a little bitch any time they take damage."

Currently being stalked around these forums by some clowns who caught feelings over being called out at being grossly inept at their job.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info