How to get used to playing Softcore?

just enjoy the content u cant play easy on hc, uber elder, atziri, make build by yourself, try kill uber, try reach lvl 100 without pure breachstone, but.. i understand u
Last edited by trezorzetto on Feb 6, 2019, 4:08:28 AM
I've played both D2 and D3 HC, but when I started playing PoE, I just didn't have the available play time to play HC anymore. Grownup shit'n stuff, you know. But that didn't change my perspective; I always try everything I can not to die, and I never go into a fight thinking "I have six tries". I always build to survive.

It's all in your head. Get yourself together.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
He's also forgetting how dying in the later levels especially 90+ can set you back days or hours to just recoup that 10% XP. The logic of "Death has no meaning" still seems not enough of an excuse because it still will set you back hours/days of XP Lost and you also lose the potential win from a boss fight/crafting.

- Menagerie Beasts aren't refunded when you die.
- Sulphite & XP aren't refunded when you die in delve.
- Losing/Using up all Mastermind Portals without killing her resets her Intelligence Counter back to 0.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
C'mon now I_NO is always helpful after she gets 40/40
Still play SSF on my main account :)
"
He's also forgetting how dying in the later levels especially 90+ can set you back days or hours to just recoup that 10% XP. The logic of "Death has no meaning" still seems not enough of an excuse because it still will set you back hours/days of XP Lost and you also lose the potential win from a boss fight/crafting.

- Menagerie Beasts aren't refunded when you die.
- Sulphite & XP aren't refunded when you die in delve.
- Losing/Using up all Mastermind Portals without killing her resets her Intelligence Counter back to 0.

Yeah but losing 10% xp for a level you don't really care about attaining isn't much of a penalty

@OP I have the same problem I play SC if my friends are playing and HC if its just me and it always feels a little bit hollow.

The way I handle it is deliberately challenging myself, still play like deaths matter I delete characters I feel are failures because they die too much.

Push for the content try to get any char you make to do shaper at least or uber elder depending on how OP the shit is you choose.

Run the craziest maps ever and don't back down. Basically its all about deliberately matching up to the content you wouldn't usually do in HC because the risk far outweighs the reward.

It never feels quite the same but its interesting enough + in my case playing with friends adds its own benefits.
"
trixxar wrote:

But, playing SC, no fight has any meaning.

So, how do you get used to playing SC when the fights don't matter, when death holds no meaning?

Step 1: Realize that this is a video game. Your HC death holds no meaning either.

(Really, though... What about all the other 99% of video games out there where there is no HC mode? Does playing them have no meaning? Strike out in baseball, yet you get to come back to the plate and try again later. Makes the game meaningless.)

Step 2: You make your own meaning.

"
Gimme a break. HC players really need to get over them selves.

Indeed.
- here's my sig
You need to develop short term goals. The "slow death" of an SC character due to boredom is definitely a thing. I give my characters a month lifespan, rarely extended to two or three. Sort of "HC" in that your character is limited, but you can progress as far as you want within your time restrictions. I agree that the game isn't really suited for long-term HC play. Too much of the content that can kill you comes late in the game. You have to "invest" too much to get there to enjoy it.
"
BasilWood wrote:

... this response feels like it was meant for me in a completely different topic. I literally don't see anything that warranted this response in this topic.

Anyway, this is the answer I was going to give:

"
just enjoy the content u cant play easy on hc, uber elder, atziri, make build by yourself, try kill uber, try reach lvl 100 without pure breachstone

OP here has never pushed a character past 87, apparently. It seems doubtful that they've actually experienced endgame fights before.

You don't get infinity deaths in maps. You get 6. A player who's never pushed past 90 in hardcore almost certainly has no idea how much harder the game gets in actual high-tier content. Sure you can just faceplant into content up until a10 kitava, but when you get to uber elder (if your build sucks, this also applies to uber atziri, and if you're a bad player, it also applies to shaper), those 6 deaths become actually fucking meaningful.

OP, have you even tried *regular* atziri? She's a very accessible fight nowadays but some people who have only farmed low-tier content in hardcore have never bothered. Maybe see if she can get your blood pumping--if she's too easy then give the higher-tier fights a try once you reach them.

And once you hit actual high levels and want to get any more passive points, deaths individually become meaningful as well, not just as groups of 6. 10% exp loss at 99 is multiple hours of progress in regular maps.
Spoiler
or two pure breachstone rotations
Last edited by codetaku on Feb 6, 2019, 9:20:42 AM
"
codetaku wrote:
"
BasilWood wrote:

... this response feels like it was meant for me in a completely different topic. I literally don't see anything that warranted this response in this topic.

Now that is weird as I was in that other thread when I posted this response.
Still play SSF on my main account :)
At 90 Plus, I'm pretty sure I get more pissed off when I die than I would on HC. I used to play HC exclusively in D2, and I know I got less pissed off in HC when I died than when I died at 90+ before I started playing HC. That's because I knew what I was getting into. I also can't play HC anymore. I'd like to get back there, but right now it's definitely a no-go in PoE.
Last edited by nice_guy_threeve on Feb 6, 2019, 10:16:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info