How to get used to playing Softcore?

I've played HC for a long time and come to an unpleasant realization - I'm not good enough /consistent enough / have connection strength to play hardcore. If I dont screw up, then I get lazy, and if I dont screw up or get lazy, at some point I will teleport on the screen and just appear dead from lag (not often, but it only has to happen once in 50 hours to end your character).

Thats all fine. So I should not play HC.

But, playing SC, no fight has any meaning. I can die over and over and over, and it means nothing. It's like playing practice for a game instead of a game.

This might come off as dissing SC, but its not. I was just really honest that I can't play HC, while some SC people could.

So, how do you get used to playing SC when the fights don't matter, when death holds no meaning?

How do you derive value from killing your enemies when they can kill you 1,000,000 times with no end and it doesnt matter?

(I feel like I suddenly realize that if we were all immortal and could never die, life itself would hold no value and be pointless and unbearable. Which everything from One Punch Man to Interview With The Vampire warned us about.)
Last bumped on Feb 19, 2019, 12:47:02 PM
take a trip down to walmart and buy a pack of Mr Clean Magic Erasers because you're in scrub core with the rest of us now buddy boy
"
So, how do you get used to playing SC when the fights don't matter, when death holds no meaning?

How do you derive value from killing your enemies when they can kill you 1,000,000 times with no end and it doesnt matter?

Delete your character each time you die.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
"

SAVAGE
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"

I can't answer personally because I didn't manage to adjust and I'll be going back to HC. I switched to SC after I lost my first four characters to syndicate oneshots and that basically destroyed my league start. The only way I found some enjoyment out of SC was by practising the hardest content - not just Uber Elder/Atziri, etc., but basically any content I would never run in HC like a very rippy corrupted map, hall of grandmasters, deep delves and so on.

The biggest issue I found was that I became completely disinterested in upgrading my gear or playing well. In HC I always had an upgrade to chase because every upgrade made it less likely that I would lose that character. In SC your character's life is completely meaningless and so the only times where your gear is relevant are when you're doing the hardest content. That's my advice- just do those things if you want SC to be interesting from the perspective of an HC player.

EDIT: Oh, and I found the economy to be completely fucked and dominated by bots, so maybe try SCSSF?
I had the exact same issue when I first started playing SC.

I started playing the game on HC because I wanted there to be a challenge and excitement, which there was. But after a few leagues on HC I got tired of spending 40-50 hours on a character to just die and lose my character due to lag. Some deaths were my own fault of course but majority were lag / desynch.

The way I get excitement in standard now is by trying to push characters as far as i can in level or content like delve.

Also since I am on SC, I can spend the early parts of the league racing as fast as i can to high level to farm maps and sell them to get a lot of currency early in a league to be able to fund new builds. The early excitement of the league holds me for about 2 weeks, then the rest is starting new characters and build ideas. I know you can already do that in HC but there is no worse feeling than leveling a new toon to 70, buying all your gear / gems for your new build, then dying a hour later to lag and sitting there thinking if its worth it to restart the character.

You just gotta try it for a while and try to find what entertains you and find goals to strive for. For instance try getting to 100 on SC, i know it's just a lot of time but once you get to 99, dying once is basically like dying on HC, it can be pretty intense.
Gimme a break. HC players really need to get over them selves.
"
Notsavard wrote:
I had the exact same issue when I first started playing SC.

I started playing the game on HC because I wanted there to be a challenge and excitement, which there was. But after a few leagues on HC I got tired of spending 40-50 hours on a character to just die and lose my character due to lag. Some deaths were my own fault of course but majority were lag / desynch.

The way I get excitement in standard now is by trying to push characters as far as i can in level or content like delve.

Also since I am on SC, I can spend the early parts of the league racing as fast as i can to high level to farm maps and sell them to get a lot of currency early in a league to be able to fund new builds. The early excitement of the league holds me for about 2 weeks, then the rest is starting new characters and build ideas. I know you can already do that in HC but there is no worse feeling than leveling a new toon to 70, buying all your gear / gems for your new build, then dying a hour later to lag and sitting there thinking if its worth it to restart the character.

You just gotta try it for a while and try to find what entertains you and find goals to strive for. For instance try getting to 100 on SC, i know it's just a lot of time but once you get to 99, dying once is basically like dying on HC, it can be pretty intense.

Thanks, that does help.

Do you find racing fun? Like stack move speed? Or just powering to high end maps?

DamageInc - If I thought I was great would I really post its not working out in HC?
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
take a trip down to walmart and buy a pack of Mr Clean Magic Erasers because you're in scrub core with the rest of us now buddy boy

Ye cos everyone lives in Usa and has walmarts...

Ontopic though: you just play and with time you'll get used to it. Pretty basic.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
"
"
Nephalim wrote:
"

SAVAGE

Delete characters what doesnt drop an exalt in 12h of its playtime.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info