Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

"
flybutterfly wrote:
I initially had high hopes for poe because there was so much hype and buzz about it.

I got the beta and unfortunately, it was a complete disappointment, it's nothing but a diablo 2 clone with improved graphics, but no achievements, progression and horrible, horrible lore. There was also a huge lack of fun factor like D2, although D2 had many flaws. poe lack even the basic fundamentals of what makes a game fun.

Then I finally got my hands on D3 beta and wow, playing that beautifully dark, gloomy setting, even though it was only 10% of act 1, brought me back to the D1 days.

Skills were awesome, classes were superb, there was a huge sense of progression, monsters were fun to kill, and I was back to being immersed in a dark gothic world that was called Diablo. Most importantly it had the elements of fun and originality.

D3 beta 9/10, 1 star missing because I could only play a little of Act 1

poe beta 1/10, 1 star for the effort of trying to compete with Blizzard

Do you just keep quoting the same troll crap that has been disproven countless times, over and over?. Even worse you are here helping GGG by keeping the forums popular.

Would you like my Diablo 3 info?? so you can continue to be happy and help diablo 3 in their game forums where you apprently would rather be, rather than here lieing...???? I am more than happy to give you it in a PM.

But trolls are trolls and I guess you are bored of diablo 3 like I am ....So here you are aswell, Enjoying another facet of PoE....

I'm guessing ignorence is bliss in your case?.(Its Rhetorical)
www.tachi203.com : For live streams, gameplay, news of me +(.

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. - Mohandas Gandhi
Last edited by tachi203 on Apr 13, 2012, 8:19:09 AM
"
flybutterfly wrote:
[...]no achievements[...]

Having no achievements is actually something I like about PoE: I neither need nor want a meta (immersion-breaking) "gameplay" layer that catalogues some arbitrary milestones of my toon. It detracts too much from the game.

Gah, I'm feeling horrified by the thought of playing Diablo, killing the Butcher and then having a "Congratulations! You have unlocked the achievement 'I'm A Humanitarian!' +10 Ego Points!".

*shudder* No want!

Dropping that monster was a reward in itself, as was getting his cleaver. Nice, in-game trophy.

And another thing I really don't like about D III: Those -again, meta-game- combos of "You have killed X monsters in a row! Experience gain!" Makes it feel so arcade-y.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
"
flybutterfly wrote:
I initially had high hopes for poe because there was so much hype and buzz about it.

I got the beta and unfortunately, it was a complete disappointment, it's nothing but a diablo 2 clone with improved graphics, but no achievements, progression and horrible, horrible lore. There was also a huge lack of fun factor like D2, although D2 had many flaws. poe lack even the basic fundamentals of what makes a game fun.

Then I finally got my hands on D3 beta and wow, playing that beautifully dark, gloomy setting, even though it was only 10% of act 1, brought me back to the D1 days.

Skills were awesome, classes were superb, there was a huge sense of progression, monsters were fun to kill, and I was back to being immersed in a dark gothic world that was called Diablo.

D3 beta 9/10

poe beta 1/10

The polemic against PoE aside, your take on the D3 beta stands out for me as unusual. Although I'm not in the beta myself, I've spent a lot of time looking at the gameplay and reading the Blizz forums which have left me with overwhelming impression that D3 lacks the dark gothic atmosphere of the original Diablo that PoE captures so beautifully.

I was initially very excited for D3, being a huge Diablo fan for more than a decade, but the more I learned about the game the more it was apparent that Blizz was leaving behind the horrific and sinister world I loved so much in favor of a comic-bookesque style. It was on the Blizz forums that I discovered PoE and upon further investigation fell in love immediately. Here was mood and atmosphere I was looking for!

True, it's not Diablo and therefore without my beloved Diablo lore, but the basic back story has so much potential for great lore that I am confident that the developers will give us a most compelling final product.
"
Avireyn wrote:

And another thing I really don't like about D III: Those -again, meta-game- combos of "You have killed X monsters in a row! Experience gain!" Makes it feel so arcade-y.

You forgot orbs.
"
tachi203 wrote:
I am diablo 3 beta tester......have been for awhile... I gave up on playing the beta for diablo 3 as I just couldnt shake the disgust the new diablo 3 provided and the reason was quite simple.
"Its nothing like the game I came to enjoy before it,
hell it didnt even seem to feel like the same story."

The diablo 3 supporter's can sugar coat this truth as much as they like but to be honest...... after months of not going anywhere near my copy of the diablo 3 beta and plenty of suggestions down the drain on their forums. I found this game randomly long after I quit now....... And am completely addicted/content.

And thus I dub this the diablo 3 I was hopeing for, I dont give a rats arse that it wasnt made by blizzard or even has a different story. Its got everything diablo 3 shouldve had.

This has the Graphics/gameplay/complexity and feel of the series and lives up to the expectation of everything the current diablo 3 couldnt, and atleast this feels rewarding.

I wont be buying D3 even for the lore. I will be playing this happy as hell.

I am content in this decision, re-persuasion to go back is futile :) .

And hey, Stop dissing diablo 3 so much guys....A new generation and older fans have to learn how bad D3 dissapoints one way or another.
"find their way here, they will :) ."

"All will be revealed"

"From a former/(current, if i want I can still login) D3 tester"

Stop forcing your opinion on others, millions of people are still looking forward to diablo 3.

You can dislike it, that's fine, but don't act like your opinion is a fact waiting to be discovered by the world.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Apr 13, 2012, 8:22:52 AM
"
Tagek wrote:
"
tachi203 wrote:
I am diablo 3 beta tester......have been for awhile... I gave up on playing the beta for diablo 3 as I just couldnt shake the disgust the new diablo 3 provided and the reason was quite simple.
"Its nothing like the game I came to enjoy before it,
hell it didnt even seem to feel like the same story."

The diablo 3 supporter's can sugar coat this truth as much as they like but to be honest...... after months of not going anywhere near my copy of the diablo 3 beta and plenty of suggestions down the drain on their forums. I found this game randomly long after I quit now....... And am completely addicted/content.

And thus I dub this the diablo 3 I was hopeing for, I dont give a rats arse that it wasnt made by blizzard or even has a different story. Its got everything diablo 3 shouldve had.

This has the Graphics/gameplay/complexity and feel of the series and lives up to the expectation of everything the current diablo 3 couldnt, and atleast this feels rewarding.

I wont be buying D3 even for the lore. I will be playing this happy as hell.

I am content in this decision, re-persuasion to go back is futile :) .

And hey, Stop dissing diablo 3 so much guys....A new generation and older fans have to learn how bad D3 dissapoints one way or another.
"find their way here, they will :) ."

"All will be revealed"

"From a former/(current, if i want I can still login) D3 tester"

Stop forcing your opinion on others, millions of people are still looking forward to diablo 3.

these poe fanboys and those that got bribed will be the only ones left here on 15 May.

let them say what they want, all I see are mindless trashing of a game obviously superior to this lackluster diablo clone.
You mad?
(In light of how much I've written here so far, I feel somewhat...forgiven if I wax short-handed here. Just how many more ways can I say what I've already said -- and would any of them be any better than the first?)

Avireyn beat me to it. Achievements? Worst. Thing. To. Happen. To. Gaming.

Ever.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Diablo IV s4, Predecessor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Stellaris (finally);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster Deckbuilder, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word (book 2 draft is done! formatting and shit ensues.)
"

You can dislike it, that's fine, but don't act like your opinion is a fact waiting to be discovered by the world.

Sorry you are correct :), Most of the world already know's....My bad.
www.tachi203.com : For live streams, gameplay, news of me +(.

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. - Mohandas Gandhi
"
(In light of how much I've written here so far, I feel somewhat...forgiven if I wax short-handed here. Just how many more ways can I say what I've already said -- and would any of them be any better than the first?)

Avireyn beat me to it. Achievements? Worst. Thing. To. Happen. To. Gaming.

Ever.

I don't feel like it's that bad.
I don't need them at all In any game, but I don't mind them being there.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
"
flybutterfly wrote:

these poe fanboys and those that got bribed will be the only ones left here on 15 May.

let them say what they want, all I see are mindless trashing of a game obviously superior to this lackluster diablo clone.

Says a Blizz fanboy who mindlessly trashes a game that is obviously superior to a washed-out shadow of Diablo...

(Sorry, I hate calling anyone a fanboy but the polemic is really going too far now).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info