Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

"
miljan wrote:
"
"
miljan wrote:

... Demon hunter is the only "new" class that I like more than class from d2.

Really? The Demon Hunter looks bloody stupid to me. Total proof that somewhere, somehow, there's a direct teleportation system from Azeroth to Sanctuary.

If somthing is copy from wow, it doesnt meen its stupid. To me d3 is a copy to wow art style more than to diablo style, and realy looks bad for a diablo game from art style perspective, but there is nothing i can do,and I accepted it. Demon hunter looks like it is from diablo universe the most compared to monk and witch,even if the model is copied from wow.

No, it could have been 'original', it'd still be bloody stupid. If you think I'm *Ever* getting over the dual crossbows, you're talking to the wrong person and about the wrong thing. It's integral to the D3 Demon Hunter. And. It's. Stupid.

It's also precisely the sort of crap I'd expect to see in WoW, hence the second sentence.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Well a witch doctor with ranged abilities would simply be stupid, and would enrage fans of the amazon greatly.
You can't just replace the bow with a blowdart and put the bow skills on a character that is based on voodoo.

Also, the whole curses control and chaos thing is also (partially) covered by the witch doctor with his fear spells and whatnot. The same goes for the dots, which the witch doctor actually has a lot of.
I feel the classes they have now are absolutely superb, fullfilling pretty much every role and making lots of people happy.

The only problem I see with this is that the new classes for the inevitable expansion pack are going to be damn hard to develop.

EDIT: Though I can pretty much guarantee that there will be shapeshifting involved. The werewolf and especially the werebear from diablo 2 were ridiculously awesome and fun to play. (A bit clunky though, yeah.)
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Apr 19, 2012, 9:41:03 AM
About the demon hunter bow dual wielding thing though.
I was actually wondering, why are you so specifically annoyed by this fact?
I mean, sure, it's not realistic, at all. But how realistic is shooting 30 arrows in one shot, and accurately at that? These games are filled with impossibilities.

(Even dual wielding real guns is extremely unrealistic and almost every modern shooter does it)
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 19, 2012, 10:00:25 AM
"
"
Tagek wrote:
Well what would you have liked to see?
They didn't really have very many options left.
I think she's an awesome character, and her gameplay is looking amazing so far.
Just because she's based off a character from another series doesn't mean I won't like her.

(Probably won't be playing her, though. I hate ranged classes)

EDIT: So, no. Partially due to the fact that I never would have played the class regardless of what it was, too.

Of course they had many options left. They had all the options in the world. They took the easy way out and went with a tried-and-true. As for what I'd liked to have seen...let's see. Barbarian covers Barbarian, Monk covers assassin-style and paladin, wizard is as wizard does, witch doctor is a mix of necromancer and sorcerer...

You do realise that your query was really unfair, right? But we're deep in the realm of speculation, so I'll throw my hat into the ring and let it land where it may. The following is pure hypothesis, rough and stormy of the brainiest kind.

First, I'd use the witch-doctor to cover the amazon-basis of ranged via the blowguns. There's SOME of that but not enough. D3 sans Demon Hunter would be missing ranged, and the Witch Doctor could carry that through. He or she can curse, summon, make things go boom without arcane assistance. I see no reason why the witch doctor couldn't lose a few of its more 'magical' skills (covered by the wizard, mostly) in favour of ranged blowgun abilities.

This is assuming the five classes are trying to fill the D2 roles, and I think they are. The fact that you virtually have 2 of the 5 reprising D2 roles reinforces that.

So if the Witch Doctor were to be more about ranged skills and less about magical (but retaining curses and summons), the DH can go and the balance is maintained. Fifth class for me then? The druid from D2 was a bit gimmicky, all told. So we'll skip shape-shifting for now.

What would *I* like to have seen? I am very fond of control. Curses provided some in D2 but not that much. I love the Mesmer of GW, the mentalist of DAoC. Charms and then buffs. Lock-downs, nasty-ass DoTs and distractions. Mass hallucinations and chaos. Some sort of arcane trickster would have been lovely. But that's just one on-the-spot idea. Blizzard had years to conjure new classes and yet again I think they dropped the ball.

BUT if we must talk balance, then the fifth, even with the Witch Doctor now handling some non-magical ranged, would probably still have some ranged ability. Throwing knives are cool. Not as a skill, but as an item. I also would keep the acrobatics. I'd lose the crazy overpowered ranged skills for the most part and replace them with stationary buffs -- you can't move and fire anyway. I like stealth. No claws, but daggers and the like fine. Concealed blades, especially. So you know what? Balance-wise, it wouldn't be MUCH different to the Demon Hunter, except less weight on the ranged, more on the utility and flavour of the archetypal assassin. Also. No. Dual. Crossbows.

I dunno. Give me longer and I'd come up with a much more acceptable fifth class.

...You also realise that this is me being wishful about PoE's sixth, right?

WD a ranger class? jesus... WD is a Necro-Druid class (Druid not the morphing part)
-----------

I absolutely love DH and the dual weild, you cant ask realism in these games its stupid really...
"
Erevos wrote:
"
"
Tagek wrote:
Well what would you have liked to see?
They didn't really have very many options left.
I think she's an awesome character, and her gameplay is looking amazing so far.
Just because she's based off a character from another series doesn't mean I won't like her.

(Probably won't be playing her, though. I hate ranged classes)

EDIT: So, no. Partially due to the fact that I never would have played the class regardless of what it was, too.

Of course they had many options left. They had all the options in the world. They took the easy way out and went with a tried-and-true. As for what I'd liked to have seen...let's see. Barbarian covers Barbarian, Monk covers assassin-style and paladin, wizard is as wizard does, witch doctor is a mix of necromancer and sorcerer...

You do realise that your query was really unfair, right? But we're deep in the realm of speculation, so I'll throw my hat into the ring and let it land where it may. The following is pure hypothesis, rough and stormy of the brainiest kind.

First, I'd use the witch-doctor to cover the amazon-basis of ranged via the blowguns. There's SOME of that but not enough. D3 sans Demon Hunter would be missing ranged, and the Witch Doctor could carry that through. He or she can curse, summon, make things go boom without arcane assistance. I see no reason why the witch doctor couldn't lose a few of its more 'magical' skills (covered by the wizard, mostly) in favour of ranged blowgun abilities.

This is assuming the five classes are trying to fill the D2 roles, and I think they are. The fact that you virtually have 2 of the 5 reprising D2 roles reinforces that.

So if the Witch Doctor were to be more about ranged skills and less about magical (but retaining curses and summons), the DH can go and the balance is maintained. Fifth class for me then? The druid from D2 was a bit gimmicky, all told. So we'll skip shape-shifting for now.

What would *I* like to have seen? I am very fond of control. Curses provided some in D2 but not that much. I love the Mesmer of GW, the mentalist of DAoC. Charms and then buffs. Lock-downs, nasty-ass DoTs and distractions. Mass hallucinations and chaos. Some sort of arcane trickster would have been lovely. But that's just one on-the-spot idea. Blizzard had years to conjure new classes and yet again I think they dropped the ball.

BUT if we must talk balance, then the fifth, even with the Witch Doctor now handling some non-magical ranged, would probably still have some ranged ability. Throwing knives are cool. Not as a skill, but as an item. I also would keep the acrobatics. I'd lose the crazy overpowered ranged skills for the most part and replace them with stationary buffs -- you can't move and fire anyway. I like stealth. No claws, but daggers and the like fine. Concealed blades, especially. So you know what? Balance-wise, it wouldn't be MUCH different to the Demon Hunter, except less weight on the ranged, more on the utility and flavour of the archetypal assassin. Also. No. Dual. Crossbows.

I dunno. Give me longer and I'd come up with a much more acceptable fifth class.

...You also realise that this is me being wishful about PoE's sixth, right?

WD a ranger class? jesus... WD is a Necro-Druid class (Druid not the morphing part)
-----------

I absolutely love DH and the dual weild, you cant ask realism in these games its stupid really...

Indeed. I got a good chuckle at the WD being a ranged class. hehe.

He seems to try too hard to find reasons to dislike almost everything about Diablo 3. I mean some of the novels written in the last 2-3 pages of this thread is just ridiculous nit picking.

Criticize dual wield cross bows and hot monks (really, the female monk is hot?? lol) all you want, at the end of the day the classes are fun to play and that's what's important.
“God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I will never die.”
So basically it all comes down to:

Want a new experience -Diablo 3

Want the same old whore with a new coat of make-up -PoE
"
rpgfiend wrote:
So basically it all comes down to:

Want a new experience -Diablo 3

Want the same old whore with a new coat of make-up -PoE

Please, don't post shit like this.
You don't like it either when people say stuff like this about D3.
Contribute something in a meaningful way or get the hell out of here.

This thread is still active. Can we talk about torchlight 2 and grim dawn here also, or only d3? Its little boring to talk only about d3, and more or less everything was said... I hope.
I don't see why not. But I doubt many people who are active in this thread know much about either of them.
I've just seen some gameplay from grim dawn and TL2.

Grim dawn looked great graphically, but a little weak gameplay wise.

TL2 looked fun and cool in every way, but I won't be buying
it anytime soon because it comes out 1 month after diablo 3 (dumbest decision I've ever seen).

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 19, 2012, 2:33:54 PM
"
Tagek wrote:
I don't see why not. But I doubt many people who are active in this thread know much about either of them.
I've just seen some gameplay from grim dawn and TL2.

Grim dawn looked great graphically, but a little weak gameplay wise.

TL2 looked fun and cool in every way, but I won't be buying
it anytime soon because it comes out 1 month after diablo 3 (dumbest decision I've ever seen).

I know. I was planning on buying Torchelight 2 to tide me over till the release of Diablo 3, but now that's it's coming out when I'll be neck deep in Diablo 3 means I'll pass on it, for now.

I'll probably pick it up later when I need a break from Diablo.

Grim Dawn... well, I saw the videos and I'm less then impressed with it so far.
“God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I will never die.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info