Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

"
alcovitch wrote:

This to me just cries out outdated game mechanics. At least it's in it's own separate league so you can actually avoid that unpleasantness.

Outadet game mechanic? Lol man, better to have that game mechanic then not to have it att all, especially that it's in separated league and optional. And what is outdated about it? To have open PvP? And people have fun playing it, especially because it's optional like d3 will have pvp. Some times i wonder why people are against more options for a game.

About look of classes, I like barbaren and wizard the most. Monk looks really strange, especially with high tier armors. Witch doktor looks funny as shit, especially skills like frogs. He is for me the most fun character to play, but he feels like he doesnt belong in diablo game that much like others, at least before when art style was different. Demon hunter i like, but some skills look like you shoot lasers from your bow.
Generaly I think palading or asasin would look much better than monk. And normaly necromansers would look
100% times better than junkie voodoo witch. Demon hunter is the only "new" class that I like more than class from d2.
Last edited by miljan on Apr 19, 2012, 8:27:26 AM
"
kodr wrote:
"

Monk, female: The biggest failure of them all. First of all, she's blonde and pretty hot. Seriously? A hot female monk? Not even the female monks in Guild Wars were that attractive.

really? ^^;
And I don't even wear a tattoo pattern.
GW1 had over-the-top top model design.

I was actually going to mention the GW tats, I found them pretty well-done and yes, undeniably cool.

I still think the D3 female monk is more 'attractive' than the GW ones, and I don't just mean the face. Most of the female monks in GW were generally frail-looking, such that when I equipped one with a Fellblade it looked hilarious and ridiculous. Not so with the D3 monk, who is ready to throw down with any and everything and not even break a sweat.

But yes, the GW female monks were very well done, and the overall character design was (and is) very stylised. I'm not sure I'd use 'over the top', but still, stylised to quite a degree.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"
miljan wrote:

... Demon hunter is the only "new" class that I like more than class from d2.

Really? The Demon Hunter looks bloody stupid to me. Total proof that somewhere, somehow, there's a direct teleportation system from Azeroth to Sanctuary.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"
"
Tagek wrote:

First of all: Game of thrones is the best series ever made.

Now that that's out of the way:

The sorceress the assassin and the amazon are all 'pretty girls' in tightly dressed / revealing clothes. Maybe diablo 1 didn't have these types per se, but that was only because of the limited tech / classes at the time.
As for some of the other classes, you are right, the demon hunter especially has been made very 'cool' and hot.
At the same time though, every game does this these days.
It's simply how things work.
Take path of exile for example. The ranger is a hot young lady, not some rugged survivor covered in scars.
The best example in POE is the witch.
When I think of a witch I think about an incredibly old, hunch-backed lady with an ugly pointy nose.
POE's witch is a young woman who could just as well star in a L'oréal commercial.

As for the armor sets. I'll talk about these per class.

The barbarian ones are awesome, big, bulky and tough looking.

The demon hunter has some cool ones and some bad ones.
For example, the female version wearing the Tier 15 armor
which you can see here at 2:50 simply looks really really awesome. Imo they should just make that one the final tier for DH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z783Ttu2BU&list=FLz65V9RZGPtI5zbmaFt3Gow&index=18&feature=plpp_video

The wizard has the ugliest sets of them all, but regardless of armor sets I would like to give blizzard some credit for making her asian, as for 'hotness' in mind, a blond or brunette wouldve done miles better among the younger crowd.

The monk. This is the guy I will be playing (that or barb) when the game comes out. His armor looks kind of cool and monk-ish, but not everywhere. I'd say this is the hardest class to make armor for because it has to be relatively simple, but also badass. Which is very hard to achieve given that he'll be viewed from a zoomed-out top-down perspective.

And finally the witch doctor. Like you said, he's just.. epic. His armor matches his class perfectly and also manages to look really really sweet in almost every single tier. Great job on this one.

Overall I think blizzard did what needed to be done.
I'd attribute the lack of true badass endgame gear in diablo 2 more to lack of time / effort than to an idea of roughness really. This time they wanted to give each character their own feel and identity through armor.
I also think if blizzard had made all the armors very rough and wild looking, people would have complained that there aren't more badass looking armor types available.

I watch a LOT of TV, and...let's say Game of Thrones is one of a very few shows I feel I can recommend to anyone, anyone. So it's in the top five best shows I've seen. That will have to do.

I really like the Witch, actually. She matches more what 'real' witches were like from our world. Pasty, wasted, wan. Not exactly pretty. I can see the villagers gathering around her, throwing stones and threatening drowning and flames, possibly not in that order.

The Ranger isn't pretty. She just isn't. Sorry GGG, but she ain't.

The Marauder is so ugly the only way I could make one was because of a particularly nifty pun on the Soul Calibur series.

The Duelist is pretty ugly too. Smarmy, sort of like Humperdinck from The Princess Bride.

The Templar is wiry but not muscle-bound, aged but not sedentary. I think he looks pretty damn realistic. And that's a big achievement in this day and age; like you said, 'everyone's doing it these days', the cool-look thing.

Very nifty video of all the armour sets. I'm not sure many of them do your argument any favours, though. Most look entirely more 'cool' than 'functional.' There's something very satisfying in the way Path of Exile ramps it up, from literally equipping flotsam on a beach to trading essential goods for fairly crappy gear, to finally making your way inland and towards something more closely resembling civilisation. The D3 site amusing mocks the low-end armor of each class (Go read it, it's actually pretty funny), but even that mockery is dragged down by the fact that the characters themselves don't seem to *need* to wear that armour in the first place half the time...

Also, can I iterate here? DUAL WIELDING CROSSBOWS IS STUPID. Let's tap GoT here: 'Never did like Crossbows.' Why? Because they take so damn long to reload. Now try it with one in each hand. Seriously. Stupid.

As for the hot-Asian thing, let's avoid any racist deviations here and accept that Diablo 3 has had *some* influence from the Japanese video game aesthetic. Not quite as badly as Dungeon Siege III (which, to be fair, was technically headed that way thanks to a certain merger), but still. Besides, the monk hits the blonde-hot thing if that is indeed your thing. I think making the wizards 'Asian' was really stupid, and poorly done. Asian wizards traditionally look nothing like that. Mako in Conan the Barbarian? Now that's a believable Asian-inspired wizard. They were primal animists, almost shamanistic. All you get with D3 is some sort of weird anime-ish, Avatar: The Last Airbender-esque cool. And I loved Avatar, so let's not go there either.

Your last paragraph is impossible to disagree with, so I won't. Especially that last sentence.

That doesn't I have to agree that it's *right* that things have gone that way. And as we've said so often here, I'm not alone in thinking that, because...well...Path of Exile.

About the witch. She is pretty, just a bit dirty and poorly dressed, but her actual face / body is pretty.

The ranger.. maybe, but she's not ugly either.

The marauder.. I don't think he looks that bad, it's more his hairstyle that gives sort of an illusion of ugliness, if you will. Although relatively he is probably the ugliest of the bunch, I agree on that.

The duelist, I really don't think you can call him ugly.
He's an arrogant, pretty bastard that reminds me the most of 'prince charming' from the shrek movies, albeit less well shaven and dressed.

The templar.. he looks good, but a little too muscular for what he's supposed to be imo.
I feel D3's monk conveys the message much better in this case. Very fit, but not pumped up.

Well 'cool but not functional' applies just as well to POE. I've seen plenty of armors with weird pointless spikes popping out of them etc. I'm not saying this is bad, I don't mind it at all. But neither games truly have functional armors.

As for not needing the wear armor, the same thing goes for POE again. The first difficulty is a cakewalk regardless of what you do.

The crossbow thing is simply stupid indeed, no other words for it. I don't mind it, but I can see how someone might be annoyed by it.

As for the japanese thing. It's not racist, nor am I racist. I think just think it's safe to say that a hot blonde or brunette is simply more appealing in a top down game than a (not even that hot) asian, because blond and brunettes are more liked by western audiences, and asian's facial features (with regards to 'hotness) are less visible at a glance than those of western 'babes'.

Also, since sanctuary is such a messed up place where everyone just tries to get by, I don't think asian people should also be dressed like asian stereotypes.
Maybe asians never even had that kind of culture in sanctuary.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
"
"
miljan wrote:

Really? The Demon Hunter looks bloody stupid to me. Total proof that somewhere, somehow, there's a direct teleportation system from Azeroth to Sanctuary.

I think the reason they went with this design is because it just fits incredibly well.
She looks to be heavily based off sylvanas from Warcraft.
Both women are pretty, very independent and most importantly:
They both seek revenge.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.

"
Tagek wrote:
"
"
miljan wrote:

I think the reason they went with this design is because it just fits incredibly well.
She looks to be heavily based off sylvanas from Warcraft.
Both women are pretty, very independent and most importantly:
They both seek revenge.

How convenient. Come on, you weren't a LITTLE disappointed when you found out Demon Hunter was the fifth and final class to Diablo 3? Just a little?
Well what would you have liked to see?
They didn't really have very many options left.
I think she's an awesome character, and her gameplay is looking amazing so far.
Just because she's based off a character from another series doesn't mean I won't like her.

(Probably won't be playing her, though. I hate ranged classes)

EDIT: So, no. Partially due to the fact that I never would have played the class regardless of what it was, too.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 19, 2012, 8:50:24 AM
"

But yes, the GW female monks were very well done, and the overall character design was (and is) very stylised. I'm not sure I'd use 'over the top', but still, stylised to quite a degree.

Well, they said it themself...
http://www.arena.net/blog/designing-humans

"we still adhere to our same goals of making fantasy characters that convey a sense of idealized realism."

Take a look at the pose of the GW1 character...
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
"
"
miljan wrote:

If somthing is copy from wow, it doesnt meen its stupid. To me d3 is a copy to wow art style more than to diablo style, and realy looks bad for a diablo game from art style perspective, but there is nothing i can do,and I accepted it. Demon hunter looks like it is from diablo universe the most compared to monk and witch,even if the model is copied from wow.
"
Tagek wrote:
Well what would you have liked to see?
They didn't really have very many options left.
I think she's an awesome character, and her gameplay is looking amazing so far.
Just because she's based off a character from another series doesn't mean I won't like her.

(Probably won't be playing her, though. I hate ranged classes)

EDIT: So, no. Partially due to the fact that I never would have played the class regardless of what it was, too.

Of course they had many options left. They had all the options in the world. They took the easy way out and went with a tried-and-true. As for what I'd liked to have seen...let's see. Barbarian covers Barbarian, Monk covers assassin-style and paladin, wizard is as wizard does, witch doctor is a mix of necromancer and sorcerer...

You do realise that your query was really unfair, right? But we're deep in the realm of speculation, so I'll throw my hat into the ring and let it land where it may. The following is pure hypothesis, rough and stormy of the brainiest kind.

First, I'd use the witch-doctor to cover the amazon-basis of ranged via the blowguns. There's SOME of that but not enough. D3 sans Demon Hunter would be missing ranged, and the Witch Doctor could carry that through. He or she can curse, summon, make things go boom without arcane assistance. I see no reason why the witch doctor couldn't lose a few of its more 'magical' skills (covered by the wizard, mostly) in favour of ranged blowgun abilities.

This is assuming the five classes are trying to fill the D2 roles, and I think they are. The fact that you virtually have 2 of the 5 reprising D2 roles reinforces that.

So if the Witch Doctor were to be more about ranged skills and less about magical (but retaining curses and summons), the DH can go and the balance is maintained. Fifth class for me then? The druid from D2 was a bit gimmicky, all told. So we'll skip shape-shifting for now.

What would *I* like to have seen? I am very fond of control. Curses provided some in D2 but not that much. I love the Mesmer of GW, the mentalist of DAoC. Charms and then buffs. Lock-downs, nasty-ass DoTs and distractions. Mass hallucinations and chaos. Some sort of arcane trickster would have been lovely. But that's just one on-the-spot idea. Blizzard had years to conjure new classes and yet again I think they dropped the ball.

BUT if we must talk balance, then the fifth, even with the Witch Doctor now handling some non-magical ranged, would probably still have some ranged ability. Throwing knives are cool. Not as a skill, but as an item. I also would keep the acrobatics. I'd lose the crazy overpowered ranged skills for the most part and replace them with stationary buffs -- you can't move and fire anyway. I like stealth. No claws, but daggers and the like fine. Concealed blades, especially. So you know what? Balance-wise, it wouldn't be MUCH different to the Demon Hunter, except less weight on the ranged, more on the utility and flavour of the archetypal assassin. Also. No. Dual. Crossbows.

I dunno. Give me longer and I'd come up with a much more acceptable fifth class.

...You also realise that this is me being wishful about PoE's sixth, right?
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 19, 2012, 9:26:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info