3.6 CI Occultist Vortex Starter/Endgame Build Guide | Tanky | Budget | All Content +Video

In the act 3, at level 28 you'll get Vortex and replace Arctic Breath. You will also get Hypothermia, Efficacy and Swift Affliction.
If you're using 4 links at this point you should use:
1. Vortex + Efficacy + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus or Hyporthermia.
2. Cold Snap + Efficacy + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus or Hypothermia.
Swift Affliction is your 6th link on Vortex

what 6th link? where is the 5th link, you are showing 4 link set-ups, then swift as 6th, where is the 5th???
Is there a reason for the number of slots where cold penetration is suggested? I was under the impression that penetration only applies to hits, so it seems like wasted potential on a build focussed on scaling DoT damage.
Hello!
A few words about the build. Everything is wonderful and like.
Started with HP, switched to СI later. In the HP version, I ran with three curses and now I miss these “puoof” from the acend Profane Bloom, but nothing, but we have 13k of CI in a weak gear:

Spoiler

There is still a lot of potential in improving equipment. Until now, without Aura Spider, without 21 gems, bad jewels and so on ..
I use Solstice Vigil simply because it is VERY convenient for maps and I adore Temp Chains, I feel very safe with them, especially with the Syndicate.
For mana regeneration I use Cinderswallow for maps and:

Spoiler

these 1 or these 2 points for bosses, that's enough for me, at the cost of some 500 CI
I also use Dred Banner, simply because what would not?)

ps. and sorry for the translation, I use Google as a translator
"
Imurgod wrote:
In the act 3, at level 28 you'll get Vortex and replace Arctic Breath. You will also get Hypothermia, Efficacy and Swift Affliction.
1. Vortex + Efficacy + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus or Hyporthermia.
2. Cold Snap + Efficacy + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus or Hypothermia.

what 6th link? where is the 5th link, you are showing 4 link set-ups, then swift as 6th, where is the 5th???

There are 5 gems here, both cases:
"

If you are running 4 links setup you should use (case 1) Vortex + Efficacy + controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus or Hypothermia. Now if you have chosen to link Elemental Focus as your 4th, Hypothermia is your 5th and if you have chosen Hypothermia as your 4th link you will use Elemental Focus as your 5th link. Sorry, I thought that was obvious. I'll try to explain that in the guide
Last edited by Durnz on Dec 28, 2018, 3:29:36 AM
"
Balindrum wrote:
Is there a reason for the number of slots where cold penetration is suggested? I was under the impression that penetration only applies to hits, so it seems like wasted potential on a build focussed on scaling DoT damage.

I think you're right. I didn't know that. Gotta change somethings now.
btw that doesn't make any sense "Damage Penetrates #% of Cold Resistance" It should be something like "Damage Penetrates #% of Cold Resistance on hits".
Last edited by Durnz on Dec 28, 2018, 3:33:03 AM
Hey fellow exile :)

just wanted to thank you for the guide. I know others have done CI cold DoT guides but they only cover the basics, as a new player I appreciate all the detailed info - especially the skill tree & gear progression.

Thanks & good luck!
"
Durnz wrote:
btw that doesn't make any sense "Damage Penetrates #% of Cold Resistance" It should be something like "Damage Penetrates #% of Cold Resistance on hits".

Don't worry, I had exactly the same reaction when I first discovered that fact. The wording is very unclear.

Otherwise a pretty good guide, I'm running something very similar this league. The only other thing that I'd say to consider is picking up Elemental Equilibrium.a self cast Orb of Storms instead of your CWDT Storm Brand (or even a self cast Storm Brand) would be enough to take advantage of it.

Both Cold Snap and Vortex *do* hit, so they'd briefly give cold res to mobs, but that goes away the moment Orb of Storms hits, and becomes a huge damage multiplier. DoTs don't proc EE, so you only need to hit once with another element after the initial cast.

Trash dies instantly anyways up to and including T16, even with the extra cold res they get initially, so it doesn't slow down clear, and for the sake of an extra button press it massively increases your single target damage.

It's also worth noting that bosses don't have reduced effect of EE, like they do for Frostbite, so the benefits are even bigger.

The other alternative is a lightning golem in a Malachai's Artifice ring, if you can get your resists sorted, and proc EE that way.
"
Balindrum wrote:
"
Durnz wrote:

The other alternative is a lightning golem in a Malachai's Artifice ring, if you can get your resists sorted, and proc EE that way.

Either storm brand into Malachai's Artifice + remove +# cold damage to spell from your equip work fine :)
"
Imurgod wrote:

You need to chill out, The guide is obviously a work in progress and if you look at similar builds you can see that elemental focus and hypothermia are part of these builds.

just go to poe.ninja under builds and see for yourself.
"
Balindrum wrote:
"
Durnz wrote:

Don't worry, I had exactly the same reaction when I first discovered that fact. The wording is very unclear.

Otherwise a pretty good guide, I'm running something very similar this league. The only other thing that I'd say to consider is picking up Elemental Equilibrium.a self cast Orb of Storms instead of your CWDT Storm Brand (or even a self cast Storm Brand) would be enough to take advantage of it.

Both Cold Snap and Vortex *do* hit, so they'd briefly give cold res to mobs, but that goes away the moment Orb of Storms hits, and becomes a huge damage multiplier. DoTs don't proc EE, so you only need to hit once with another element after the initial cast.

Trash dies instantly anyways up to and including T16, even with the extra cold res they get initially, so it doesn't slow down clear, and for the sake of an extra button press it massively increases your single target damage.

It's also worth noting that bosses don't have reduced effect of EE, like they do for Frostbite, so the benefits are even bigger.

Having EE is amazing with this build - I am also running something similar but the big ticket item that I finally crafted last night helped so much without having to cast Storm Brand or Orb of Storms. The trigger a socketed spell weapon craft is amazing.
Last edited by shortstak on Dec 29, 2018, 2:30:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info