3.6 CI Occultist Vortex Starter/Endgame Build Guide | Tanky | Budget | All Content +Video

"
shkumba wrote:
Hey fellow exile :)

just wanted to thank you for the guide. I know others have done CI cold DoT guides but they only cover the basics, as a new player I appreciate all the detailed info - especially the skill tree & gear progression.

Thanks & good luck!

Thank you for the Feedback. Appreciate it
"
Balindrum wrote:
"
Durnz wrote:
I think you're right. I didn't know that. Gotta change somethings now.
btw that doesn't make any sense "Damage Penetrates #% of Cold Resistance" It should be something like "Damage Penetrates #% of Cold Resistance on hits".

Don't worry, I had exactly the same reaction when I first discovered that fact. The wording is very unclear.

Otherwise a pretty good guide, I'm running something very similar this league. The only other thing that I'd say to consider is picking up Elemental Equilibrium.a self cast Orb of Storms instead of your CWDT Storm Brand (or even a self cast Storm Brand) would be enough to take advantage of it.

Both Cold Snap and Vortex *do* hit, so they'd briefly give cold res to mobs, but that goes away the moment Orb of Storms hits, and becomes a huge damage multiplier. DoTs don't proc EE, so you only need to hit once with another element after the initial cast.

Trash dies instantly anyways up to and including T16, even with the extra cold res they get initially, so it doesn't slow down clear, and for the sake of an extra button press it massively increases your single target damage.

It's also worth noting that bosses don't have reduced effect of EE, like they do for Frostbite, so the benefits are even bigger.

The other alternative is a lightning golem in a Malachai's Artifice ring, if you can get your resists sorted, and proc EE that way.

Yeah, I know all this things. I don't think thats necessary but someone can think it does. I'll add this in the additional info section as an option for boosting DPS. Better letting ppl knows all the options.
Thanks for reminding me this
Love this build! Highest level character so far and plan to hit 100. So far have killed Elder and Shaper with ease - the damage is insane! I think I just need to work on energy shield min/max now. If anyone has any suggestions on gear feel free to let me know - my weapon is the best i've crafted yet!

Here's the POB for anyone who cares: https://pastebin.com/B30nFYHM

"
shortstak wrote:
Love this build! Highest level character so far and plan to hit 100. So far have killed Elder and Shaper with ease - the damage is insane! I think I just need to work on energy shield min/max now. If anyone has any suggestions on gear feel free to let me know - my weapon is the best i've crafted yet!

Here's the POB for anyone who cares: https://pastebin.com/B30nFYHM

Spoiler

A new belt as the one shown in the guide. Extra energy shield for your Body Armour is a great thing.
Last edited by Durnz on Dec 29, 2018, 2:28:44 PM
I know you'd lose a good chunk of ES this way, but what do you think about using the cold variant of the Impresence neck (or Solstice Vigil for a less budget option)? 100% reduced frostbite or temp chains mana reservation sounds pretty nice considering I don't have Enlightens up and running yet.

Just have to compensate for the lost ES/resists I assume? Solstice Vigil has damage on it, Impresence does not.

EDIT: Actually, does the added flat cold damage on Impresence ruin the Ele Equilibrium? In which case that would be no good and you'd have to go with Solstice Vigil.
"
Zhain wrote:
I know you'd lose a good chunk of ES this way, but what do you think about using the cold variant of the Impresence neck (or Solstice Vigil for a less budget option)? 100% reduced frostbite or temp chains mana reservation sounds pretty nice considering I don't have Enlightens up and running yet.

Just have to compensate for the lost ES/resists I assume? Solstice Vigil has damage on it, Impresence does not.

EDIT: Actually, does the added flat cold damage on Impresence ruin the Ele Equilibrium? In which case that would be no good and you'd have to go with Solstice Vigil.

About Impresence and/or Solstice Vigil, I don't think they are good options for ES builds. I really don't see the need for using them. Specially losing a lot of good mods in an amulet.
About Elemental Equilibrium, if you have any added cold damage to spells that would ruin your EE.
If you can have a Solstice Vigil you can buy a Shaper Amulet with Cold Damage over time Multiplier which is the best mod for boosting the Vortex Damage and get some stats + ES and maybe some resists on it. So I think thats the best option.

Btw, I looked your profile and you're using Discipline + Frostbite + TC + Clarity? Since you doesn't have an extra curse (Whispers of Doom) You shouldn't reserves mana with 2 curses. So if you keep activating only 1 for now you should be ok until you get the enlighten gem. If you socketed 2 curses but you're using only 1 you shouldn't have any mana problems. If you do, try to find an item with 50% mana regen (ring or shield) and you'll be fine I think.
Even if you get Whispers of Doom I don't think you could use that setup and not have mana problems. 2 curses reserves more mana than using 1 curse + Aspect of the Spider and I am on limit of the mana reservation.
question bout the whispers of doom/curses:

i am on my way to whispers of doom on the tree and now i am wondering what the 2nd curse is.....

when i look at ur profile i can see u use WoD and your first curse is frostbite. but what is the 2nd? aspect of the spider? tooltip says it is a debuff not a curse. and i dont have WoD yet and still the enemys get the frostbite AND AotC.

my enlighten is lvl 2 but i dont think i will have enough mana for another curse even if it would be lvl 3

so i am asking myself if WoD is rly needed or if i am missing something :)
"
Envy85 wrote:
question bout the whispers of doom/curses:

i am on my way to whispers of doom on the tree and now i am wondering what the 2nd curse is.....

when i look at ur profile i can see u use WoD and your first curse is frostbite. but what is the 2nd? aspect of the spider? tooltip says it is a debuff not a curse. and i dont have WoD yet and still the enemys get the frostbite AND AotC.

my enlighten is lvl 2 but i dont think i will have enough mana for another curse even if it would be lvl 3

so i am asking myself if WoD is rly needed or if i am missing something :)

Witchfirebrew Flask applies Level 21 Despair Curse
"

ah ok, i always thought we use witchfire just for the dmg over time effect. is the 6 seconds curse rly that huge? i mean for mapping yes cause the flasks refill quickly. but bossing?
"
Envy85 wrote:
"

ah ok, i always thought we use witchfire just for the dmg over time effect. is the 6 seconds curse rly that huge? i mean for mapping yes cause the flasks refill quickly. but bossing?

It is 25% increased enemy Damage Taken plus (25-40)% increased damage. Thats huge for bursting. Think about using Vaal RF, Vaal Cold Snap, and both Cold Snap + Vortex with enemies taking 25% increased damage.

Edit: Anyway, if you don't like this idea you can get more jewels. It is almost the same and you can get some ES on it or go for the minion damage (Spiritual Aid) also good.
Last edited by Durnz on Jan 1, 2019, 8:06:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info